A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

605 views
Which character do you dislike the most? (possible Spoilers of books 1-4)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 216 (216 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lina (last edited Jul 13, 2011 06:14PM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments What characters don't you like or particularly care for? why?

I can't stand Cersei. she is an obvious choice of course, after all she is the reason why Jaime (view spoiler)

I would have understood the above and perhaps not hate her for trying to protect her family. However, she is proven that all she has done is for herself. She is vain, proud and stupid all at the same time, plus has a serious case of paranoia that everybody is out to get her. She is so blind that she can't even see she is pushing away the only people who cared for her and would have done anything to protect her. Can't wait for some justice to be done on her too.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I despise Cersei. I hope she rots. I also despise Jamie. I don't think highly of Robert or Lysa either. Little Robert is just annoying. I don't like Varys or Vaerys for obvious reasons.


message 3: by Arby (last edited Jul 14, 2011 02:35AM) (new)

Arby (xblackheart7x) | 68 comments joffrey... that inbred bastard...
[still in book2]


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments oh yes, Joffrey, he is on my top 5 for sure. What was the last part you read?


message 5: by Lina (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments I think Joffrey is at the top of everyone's list, he just shows no redeaming qualities whatsoever. Sansa has not redeem herself in my eyes either, I don't necessarily dislike her, but she bugs me with her inability to comprehend what is going on around her. But maybe I just can't get myself to hate any of the Starks.


message 6: by Arby (new)

Arby (xblackheart7x) | 68 comments Jayme, i just started book2. about p165.

Lina, i started to not dislike Sansa the moment she wanted to push Joffrey and kill him. hah!


message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) Here's an interesting list from Tower of the Hand. It's their Top Hated Characters:

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2011/0...


message 8: by Lina (last edited Jul 15, 2011 05:58PM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Chris wrote: "Here's an interesting list from Tower of the Hand. It's their Top Hated Characters:

http://towerofthehand.com/blog/2011/0..."


OMG!! I had forgotten about the Freys!! How could I? Scratch that, I hate the Freys more than Cersei. I hope they all die (view spoiler)


message 9: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments Walder Frey deserves the award!


message 10: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Jul 14, 2011 09:14PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I just hate Walder Frey the old man. I don't really hate any other Freys. I really, really hate Theon Greyjoy. He can take a flying leap from a cliff.


message 11: by Annie (new)

Annie In Sundeland (annieinsunderland) | 2 comments Cersei it´s a crazy bitch, no doubt about it


message 12: by Maja (last edited Jul 15, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments SPOILERS
SPOILERS for books 1-4! Do not read if you haven't read them!!!









Cersei... especially after her POV in the Crows... She is crazier than I expected. I was really with her ending in that book! I haven't been that excited since Joffrey died. And when Jaime decided to burn her letter. I love Jaime! He really surprised me (in a good way) after reading his POV.


message 13: by Lina (last edited Jul 15, 2011 05:14AM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Maja wrote: "SPOILERS
SPOILERS for books 1-4! Do not read if you haven't read them!!!
(view spoiler)"


I completely agree!! She is so self-centered that she can't see 2 inches ahead of her nose. And Jaime.... he is complex I give you that.


message 14: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 46 comments I can't stand Walder Frey, all of the Krakens (except for Asha), and Sansa. Much is made of Sansa's "growth" in the first 4 books, but quite frankly, I don't see it. She just irritates the pants off of me.


message 15: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Miss Kate wrote: "I can't stand Walder Frey, all of the Krakens (except for Asha), and Sansa. Much is made of Sansa's "growth" in the first 4 books, but quite frankly, I don't see it. She just irritates the pants of..."

SPOILERS AGAIN! :)


I would be very excited if she actually learned from Littlefinger and started playing her own game. Maybe even behind his back... Something like the apprentice becomes the teacher and totally surprises us... That is the only way I see myself respecting the character.. Otherwise, she is just dull...


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Sansa hasn't really grown as a character much at all. Just the little bit we saw with Joffrey. She is a pawn because she acts the most like a typical medieval woman. I seriously think that she thinks if she just does what she is told "everything will turn out all right".


message 17: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) In no particular order:

Joffrey - i despise his entire existence. that boy absolutely had no redeeming qualities. the only thing he did that made me happy was that he DIED.

Walder Frey - GRRM had better decide to kill off this ancient lord because I can't stand him

Roose Bolton - He killed Robb Stark. I will never forgive him for that


message 18: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Arianne wrote: "In no particular order:

Joffrey - i despise his entire existence. that boy absolutely had no redeeming qualities. the only thing he did that made me happy was that he DIED.

Walder Frey - GRRM had..."


I think the Robb think shocked me more than Ned's death... I was sooo pissed!!


message 19: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) I think the Robb think shocked me more than Ned's death... I was sooo pissed!!

i was physically, mentally and emotionally not prepared for that scene. it took me a few days to accept and get over it.


message 20: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Arianne wrote: " I think the Robb think shocked me more than Ned's death... I was sooo pissed!!

i was physically, mentally and emotionally not prepared for that scene. it took me a few days to accept and get ove..."


I think I re-read the part where they get to Rob like 10 times thinking I must have misunderstood... And then the ending of the chapter... it was brutal! I threw my Kindle on the couch next to me and had to take a few minutes to compose myself. Then I cried a little and that whole time my husband is staring at me going - What is wrong? What is it? You ok? What happened?


message 21: by Lina (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Maja wrote: "Then I cried a little and that whole time my husband is staring at me going - What is wrong? What is it? You ok? What happened? "

I completely understand. I also threw the book accross the room when I read that scene. I almost wrote hate letters to GRRM for it. First Ned, then him??? Not him too!!!! And yes, my husband who was on book #1 at that time got a dreading feeling something horrible happened. I didn't tell him exactly, but he got the idea.


message 22: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Now I really really hate Theon and Ramsay and Roose. Never liked any of the Krakens as well. At least the Lannisters have Kevan and Tyrion.


message 23: by Jax (new)

Jax (anti-cato) Am I the only person who doesn't hate Cersei? I enjoy her character, the ruthless bitch. Imagine being married to a guy who has zero interest in you, constantly thinks of his dead love and constantly screwing other women without the decency to even hide it from you. I'd want him dead too. I guess I pity her more than I hate her actions..

Joffrey, of course, I hated. All the Freys make me want to vomit. Ramsey Snow. I hated Theon and Jaime for a while, but I don't know what I think about them anymore.

Janos Slynt. that backstabbing jerk.


message 24: by Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) (last edited Jul 29, 2011 07:00AM) (new)

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) I hate Ramsay Bolton, used to hate Theon but can't anymore, and Littlefinger. Joffrey goes without saying, and I also disliked Robert. I heart Rhaegar :(

AND THE WESTERLINGS. BASTARDS.


Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) Jax wrote: "Am I the only person who doesn't hate Cersei? I enjoy her character, the ruthless bitch. Imagine being married to a guy who has zero interest in you, constantly thinks of his dead love and constan..."

I hated the Freys except for Olyvar! And I didn't hate Cersei - she's evil, but she's entertaining to read.


Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) (msjessie) Arianne wrote: " I think the Robb think shocked me more than Ned's death... I was sooo pissed!!

i was physically, mentally and emotionally not prepared for that scene. it took me a few days to accept and get ove..."


GRRM has said that The Red Wedding was the hardest part of the novels for him to write.


message 27: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Jessie (.bibliophile. .anonymous.) wrote: "I hated the Freys except for Olyvar! And I didn't hate Cersei - she's evil, but she's entertaining to read. "

I don't hate Cersei and I don't think she's evil too.
Like what Tyrion says in the book (and Petyr also i guess), Cersei only likes to think that she's all powerful but really she's just paranoid.


message 28: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments Arianne wrote: "I don't hate Cersei and I don't think she's evil too. "

If Cersei is not evil, i don't know what evil is.


Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I would agree she is very paranoid.


Michelle(Chelle) aka Nightshade - Cake Whisperer (michmag) I have read books 1-4 and I have hated characters in the first few books that have now become some of my favorites. On the other hand some characters I loved in the beginning have started to irk me to no end in subsequent books. Consistently though I hate Joffrey, Cersei and Melisandre.


message 31: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) Machavelli wrote: "Arianne wrote: "I don't hate Cersei and I don't think she's evil too. "

If Cersei is not evil, i don't know what evil is."


JOFFREY is evil. the only thing good that he did was to die.


message 32: by J.R. (last edited Jul 30, 2011 09:04AM) (new)

J.R. Tomlin (jrtomlin) | 16 comments Lina wrote: "What characters don't you like or particularly care for? why?

I can't stand Cersei. she is an obvious choice of course, after all she is the reason why Jaime [spoilers removed]

I would have under..."
I disagree that Cersei is the reason that Jaime did what he did. That was 100% HIS idea. She even told him he shouldn't have done it and that they could have kept Bran from saying anything.

Cersei is an interesting character. She has her "good" side in trying to protect her children and killing Ned was not her idea either although she would have if he hadn't agreed to support her children as heirs to the throne. But she also murdered Robert. However an ass Robert was, which he was, that didn't mean causing his death was acceptable and most people don't find incest admirable, nor, for that matter, treason which her behavior was.

Remember it was the fact that her children are bastards that is behind much of the fighting and killing--a fact that it is easy to overlook. This is why it was treason for the queen to commit adultery.

She is paranoid, totally selfish except when it comes to her children, and completely without any morals. But interesting.

Edit: It is hard to really hate Martin's characters because they are all so complex. It might surprise people that the one I DO still hate is Jaime. That's for what he did to Bran and what he threatened to do (and would have) at the siege.

But the obvious choice is the Freys. And Bolton.


message 33: by Lina (last edited Jul 31, 2011 06:23AM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments J.R. wrote: "I disagree that Cersei is the reason that Jaime did what he did. That was 100% HIS idea. She even told him he shouldn't have done it and that they could have kept Bran from saying anything.

Cersei is an interesting character. She has her "good" side in trying to protect her children and killing Ned was not her idea either although she would have if he hadn't agreed to support her children as heirs to the throne. But she also murdered Robert. However an ass Robert was, which he was, that didn't mean causing his death was acceptable and most people don't find incest admirable, nor, for that matter, treason which her behavior was. "


Jaime has been manipulated by Cersei. She kept repeating to him "he saw us, he saw us", and Jaime, he is not a thinker, so the only way he saw was pushing Bran to keep him from saying anything. Cersei then washes her hands by telling Jaime "I never asked you to push him...".

I never said I didn't think she was interesting. I hate her, but I don't think she is boring. Her point of view made me dislike her even more, but it made for rivetting reading. She is one crazy bitch.


message 34: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments Jax wrote: "Am I the only person who doesn't hate Cersei? I enjoy her character, the ruthless bitch. Imagine being married to a guy who has zero interest in you, constantly thinks of his dead love and constan..."


I don't find sympathy for her because her husband doesn't love her etc. Perhaps I've become jaded towards royal marriages from reading historical accounts. Kings most often had mistresses and paramours, Queens occasionally did, and very few monarchs over the course of history have loved the person they were going to marry. Or rather, I should say (since we don't really know if they "loved" each other), their actions indicated that love wasn't a factor. Very few of them knew each other before they married etc. So Robert's behavior isn't unusual for a medieval king. And Cersei would've known that his behavior wasn't unusual in a king. Grotesque, sure. But not unusual.


message 35: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Aly wrote: "Jax wrote: "Am I the only person who doesn't hate Cersei? I enjoy her character, the ruthless bitch. Imagine being married to a guy who has zero interest in you, constantly thinks of his dead love..."

I mean she slept with her brother!! What more do you need to know! Robert at least kept away from siblings.

I didn't like Cersei one bit. It was entertaining how paranoid she is and all, but as a character I really hated her.


message 36: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments I hated Cersei but loved reading about her from her pov.


message 37: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments haha, Maja!! Exactly!! She may not have been a drunkard like Robert, but she did sleep with her brother!! And had three children by him!!

I did enjoy reading her POV, just because she is a character I love to hate.


message 38: by Roshio (new)

Roshio | 6 comments same as! its easy to see why she acts the way she does from her POV, unbelievably paranoid! crazy woman. I forgot how much I hated her until I started watching the HBO series and I kept thinking 'I forgot about that evil witch!'. Lol she's a great one to hate.


message 39: by Edgar (last edited Sep 19, 2013 01:52AM) (new)

Edgar | 43 comments Arianne wrote: "In no particular order:

Joffrey - i despise his entire existence. that boy absolutely had no redeeming qualities. the only thing he did that made me happy was that he DIED.

Walder Frey - GRRM had..."


Same, same, same. I also hate Cersei as well, and the Boltons and the rest of the Freys. The other people I hate are the people who stabbed Jon Snow. May they all die.


message 40: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) | 81 comments The 'Frey's' &....

THEON... what a scumbag, I understand blood is thicker than water but I would have thought the Greyjoys would have learned from past mistakes & combine their power (which is primarily a 'navy', which has been shown to be a HUGE asset) because being strong in one area success does not make, that's not me, Yoda told me

Asha & Robb or even Asha & Stannis (but Stannis already has Mel) would have been a great combo punch


message 41: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Littlefinger for this (view spoiler)....Ramsay Bolton, he is simply hideous as is his father....As for Theon don't get me started lol.....

Keep Calm and Kill the Freys:D


message 42: by Gabriel (new)

Gabriel | 6 comments Walder Frey, enough said.

I also hate Cersei with a passion. That mad woman's prophecy was that Cersei would lose all of her children in some way, and I hope it comes true, just to break her heart.


message 43: by K-dizzle (new)

K-dizzle (kvb666) | 19 comments Joffrey, Walder Frey and Cersei mostly...among others


message 44: by Mitali (new)

Mitali | 117 comments There are characters whom I hate because they are irredeemably evil: Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey (and numerous other Freys who participated in the Red Wedding), Cersei Lannister, Gregor Clegane, Euron 'Crow's Eye' Greyjoy.

And then there are characters I hate because they are boring as all hell: Theon Greyjoy, Aeron 'Damphair' Greyjoy, Brienne of Tarth.

There are some like Victarion Greyjoy who fall in both categories.

I haven't included characters who are already dead, such as Joffrey Baratheon. Gregor Clegane is a sort-of exception, as he isn't exactly dead.


message 45: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 800 comments Mitali wrote: "There are characters whom I hate because they are irredeemably evil: Ramsay Bolton, Walder Frey (and numerous other Freys who participated in the Red Wedding), Cersei Lannister, Gregor Clegane, Eur..."

Thank goodness I am not the only one to find Theon a bore, both in the books and TV version. I don't know why GRRM would spend so much time fleshing out a character that is so utterly snooze worthy...But I do like Brienne and hope she survives...


message 46: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson I guess this just goes to show everyone's taste is different, because I find Theon quite interesting. Of all the perfectly hateful characters, the one I hate the most is Joffrey.


message 47: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 1 comments Cercei is a horrible horrible character I had the greatest smile on my face when she was paraded through the streets.

Also Sansa annoys me quite a lot. She is a little whinny twit!


message 48: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson Aaron wrote: "Cercei is a horrible horrible character I had the greatest smile on my face when she was paraded through the streets.

Also Sansa annoys me quite a lot. She is a little whinny twit!"


Yes, it was quite gratifying to see Cercei get what she deserved. I also agree about Sansa--but I also see her growing quite a bit through the volumes. She gets stronger, it seems to be. And it helps to remember she's basically still a child.


message 49: by Barry (new)

Barry Delaney Ever since we started getting the Jaime POVs, I really started liking his character and how he's been developed


message 50: by Jill (new)

Jill Jepson Barry wrote: "Ever since we started getting the Jaime POVs, I really started liking his character and how he's been developed"

Martin has done a remarkable thing with Jaime. Jaime starts out as what appears to be a completely unredeemable character--he's sleeping with his sister and tries to murder a little boy, after all--but later we see him suffering, growing thoughtful about what his contribution to the world will be, and doing some worthwhile things, like saving Brienne. It takes some pretty amazing writing to make such a horrible character sympathetic.


« previous 1 3 4 5
back to top