Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Adding Incorrect Covers

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 59 comments Recently a cover was added for Lover Reborn (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #10) by J.R. Ward however, the author stated that it was only a prototype and not the cover she envisions.

A librarian must have added it because some other website posted it as the official cover, but then it was removed from Goodreads when it came out that the author says it's not the official cover.

Now it's up again.

Are there some guidelines librarians are supposed to be following when adding covers and synopsis?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42421 comments Mod
Has an official cover been released?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 59 comments No, apparently not. Not that she's stated on Facebook yet. The last we heard was that it was not the official cover, that the hair color wasn't right, that it was just a prototype. Someone posted it on the internet on a private blog and it became gospel.

I've been checking FB and haven't found anything official yet.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42421 comments Mod
If there is no official one yet, is there a problem with keeping the prototype until there IS an official one?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 59 comments I had thought about that, and I guess it's not that big of a deal. But in the big picture, you'd think that librarians would be/should be, more careful about accuracy rather than just getting all giddy and adding things without making sure it's correct, know what I mean? I'm not perfect, far from it, and I understand that people make mistakes, but this one could have been avoided.

I guess I just consider Goodreads to be a source for ACCURATE information whenever possible.

message 6: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 1046 comments Well, the book is still a year away, if we wanted to accurate it probably shouldn't even be listed. :/

message 7: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments How about adding something to the description like...

Librarian note: Cover art not final.

Thoughts?

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I think it's a never ending battle...when the book is released, we can update with the new cover. I don't worry to much over covers and exact release dates of upcoming books, but if it's important to you, go for it.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:33AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 59 comments In this case, as soon as it was posted on a private blog, someone put it on Goodreads. Because it was on Goodreads, I assumed it was accurate. I'm one of the moderators for the JR Ward group here and let me tell you, that cover upset a lot of her fans, which is probably why it got me thinking about this issue. On her site she still has the old cover up and on facebook she said this cover wasn't correct. It was something that could have been verified. Anyway, so someone here removed it, and then someone else put it back up.If we take it down, someone will put it back up again.

I guess my thinking is that Goodreads librarians have an important job and should verify their facts before they make changes. Again, I'm human and make mistakes all the time, but this is just a case of someone getting excited - like I was - and putting up the cover before finding out if it was correct.

There certainly are more important things to worry about, I suppose, but I would hope librarians would verify their information first, especially when they're getting their initial information from someone's private blog.