Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > *PLEASE* fix these typos!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karri (new)

Karri | 2 comments Can you please have a librarian fix the typos in the synopsis of this book? I didn't particularly like the book but this is really, really bad and it's been driving me crazy for two days! :) Thank you.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/76...

message 2: by ♥Meagan♥ (last edited Jul 13, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 10 comments I helped some, the wording of the synopsis is odd though. Let me check Amazon.

edit: I just copied the synopsis from Amazon, I'm assuming that's okay, right?

message 3: by willaful (last edited Jul 13, 2011 11:57AM) (new)

willaful Heh, I was just working on it, hope we didn't overwrite each other. It does look like an amateur synopsis, perhaps a better one is available.

ETA -- looks like one was found.

message 4: by Karri (new)

Karri | 2 comments Thank you SO much! Now I can sleep tonight.

message 5: by Alexis-Morgan (last edited Jul 13, 2011 12:16PM) (new)

Alexis-Morgan Roark (alexismroark) | 3 comments Oops! I just fixed it as well. I copied the synopsis from Barnes & Noble. I'll check back before I do that again!! Same as what was there. Found no spelling errors.

message 6: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments I can't seem to find where to go to ask a librarian how I might fix a single typo in the text of my book "Hym and Hur." In the 3rd chapter, 2nd paragraph, last sentence is the word "reeking." It should be changed to "wreaking."
Anyone know how I can get help on this?

message 7: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments Phillip, that's not something a librarian can change. You probably want to make that edit in your offline copy and then reupload the ebook.

message 8: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 28 comments @Karri (and <3Meagan<3 and willaful and Alexis-Morgan):
It looks like the description of Lost and Found was reverted to the typo-ridden version. I'm going to venture a guess that this is because the librarians above used book seller sites (amazon and barnes & noble) to update the description. If I understand correctly, data taken from bookseller sites is not allowed.

I went ahead and edited the description from the publisher's website entry and made that the default description. Hopefully that will fix the issue.

message 9: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments Cait wrote: "Phillip, that's not something a librarian can change. You probably want to make that edit in your offline copy and then reupload the ebook."

Thanks for your quick reply. If I edit offline and then re-upload the book, will I lose the reviews?

message 10: by Experiment BL626 (new)

Experiment BL626 | 358 comments Phillip wrote: "Thanks for your quick reply. If I edit offline and then re-upload the book, will I lose the reviews?"

No, you will not lose the reviews. The ebook is completely separate from the community reviews.

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments Experiment BL626 wrote: "Phillip wrote: "Thanks for your quick reply. If I edit offline and then re-upload the book, will I lose the reviews?"

No, you will not lose the reviews. The ebook is completely separate from the c..."

Thank you for your time in answering. I'll re-upload the book without worrying about losing the reviews.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments To fix my single but major typo I went to re-upload the book. I couldn't find where to do that. I then went to the FAQ and at the bottom it says that Goodreads is currently not accepting books for sale. I assume this means I'll just have to let the book stay posted with the typo.

message 13: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Y0u need to edit the book page - there should then be an option on the right hand side to upload an ebook (you will need to delete the other first). You will not be able to sell the book but should be able to provide a preview and set the amount / percentage the reader can see before being prompted to buy. (Buy meaning to go to a bookseller and purchase not GR)

message 14: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments Paula wrote: "Y0u need to edit the book page - there should then be an option on the right hand side to upload an ebook (you will need to delete the other first). You will not be able to sell the book but shoul..."

Thanks for your reply. I understand the "buy" part now. I went to the edit-book page, clicked on upload new book and was told I can't because I'm not a librarian (I have 51 books in "My Books"). Then I thought if I deleted the book first, I might lose its reviews, though in my above message #11, the reply says they won't be gone.

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
That's odd. Uploading an ebook to one of their own books is definitely one of the librarian powers authors usually have.

There were two previously-uploaded versions still there, which I removed. maybe it will work for you now?

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments rivka wrote: "That's odd. Uploading an ebook to one of their own books is definitely one of the librarian powers authors usually have.

There were two previously-uploaded versions still there, which I removed. m..."

The book I'd like to re-upload is "Hym and Hur." I just went to my dashboard and both editions are still there (same with my other book "Dangerous Times). The other day when I had tried to re-upload "Hym and Hur," I didn't realize I had to delete the current editions. I'll give it another try. Thanks.

message 17: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

The editions will NOT be removed from GR. However, the uploaded ebooks have been.

message 18: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Frey (phillipfrey) | 18 comments rivka wrote: "The editions will NOT be removed from GR. However, the uploaded ebooks have been."

Holy cow, I did it! Everything is fine now. Thank you so much for the help.

message 19: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Great.