SCYABA discussion

SCYABA2011.12 > Hate List

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura (new)

Laura I don't know if high school students really like books that adults write that are about "high school students." Or at least that is what I have heard them say. The characters were such stereotypes that I don't know if students would find them anything but "discussion topics." The author admits that she "thought it would be fun to give the characters names with obvious "hidden meanings," but I don't think it worked. Principal Angerson, Nick Levil. Really?
The best character was Dr. Hieler (except for his name) who really had some insight into what was going on in Val's life. Bea was a lot of fun, too, but she seemed to be added because the book was getting too dry and needed some sparkle.
I also feel as if the book is already too dated...no smart phones, no social networking??

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Nelson (cathyjonelson) | 11 comments Mod
WOW great review Laura. But I did enjoy the storyline. It had that Saturday afternoon Lifetime Network TV Feel to it, no?

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura Of course I enjoyed it! "Blah" books don't deserve any comment. I think the author had fun with the characters. I just wanted it to be a little richer. It may have been a first novel for J. Brown.