Challenge Overload (PNR and UF Edition) discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Archive Pagan Challenge: Summer Solstice

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lily (last edited Jul 13, 2011 01:42PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Traditional Summer holiday: Summer Solstice:

This challenge will start retroactively June 21-September 22
(Summer Solstice through Fall Equinox)

Apologies for starting retroactively, but I just jumped in to the moderator role. Still, this is a fun topic, and I had fun researching it so …here we go.

This challenge has four levels of difficulty:
30+ I am a dynamo --Challenging
20+ Moderate
10+ relaxing but fun
Less than 10 –I am going to poke my toe in the water here.

Please identify what level your goal is and repost as you complete books. I would also appreciate if you would rate the book as you finish it with the star rating. Also mark the book as finished by crossing it off or dating it.

Sol + stice derives from a combination of Latin words meaning "sun" + "to stand still." As the days lengthen, the sun rises higher and higher until it seems to stand still in the sky. As a major celestial event, the Summer Solstice results in the longest day and the shortest night of the year. The Northern Hemisphere celebrates in June, but the people on the Southern half of the earth have their longest summer day in December.

In honor if this pick one book with hot weather and one book with cold weather

1. Hot Weather
2. Cold Weather

Pick one book from an author or a setting in the Northern hemisphere and one in the Southern Hemisphere

3. Northern Hemisphere
4. Southern Hemisphere

Early Celebrations: Awed by the great power of the sun, civilizations have for centuries celebrated the first day of summer otherwise known as the Summer Solstice, Midsummer (see Shakespeare), St. John's Day, or the Wiccan Litha.

5. Read a book set in Mid-evil time or world (swords and sorcery), or a classic (as defined by you).

Today, the day is still celebrated around the world - most notably in England at Stonehenge and Avebury, where thousands gather to welcome the sunrise on the Summer Solstice.

6. Read a book from an author from England, or the book is set in England, or the protag is from or travels to England.
7. Read a book with a wedding in it.

Pagan spirit gatherings or festivals are also common in June, when groups assemble to light a sacred fire, and stay up all night to welcome the dawn.

8. Read a book where the main characters are nocturnal (stay up at night instead of day)

Summer Solstice Fun Facts

June Weddings and Honeymoons: Perhaps the most enduring modern ties with Summer Solstice were the Druids' celebration of the day as the "wedding of Heaven and Earth", resulting in the present day belief of a "lucky" wedding in June.

• This time of year, between the planting and harvesting of the crops, was the traditional month for weddings. This is because many ancient peoples believed that the "grand [sexual] union" of the Goddess and God occurred in early May at Beltane. Since it was unlucky to compete with the deities, many couples delayed their weddings until June. June remains a favorite month for marriage today. In some traditions, "newly wed couples were fed dishes and beverages that featured honey for the first month of their married life to encourage love and fertility. The surviving vestige of this tradition lives on in the name given to the holiday immediately after the ceremony: The Honeymoon."

• Pagans called the Midsummer moon (first--or only-- full moon in June) the "Honey Moon" for the mead made from fermented honey that was part of wedding ceremonies performed at the Summer Solstice. Tradition holds that this is the best time to harvest honey from the bee hives.

9. Read a book with a honey or tan/gold color cover
10. Read a book where someone is on a honeymoon
11. Read a book where folks are celebrating with fermented beverages (booze), or a drinking establishment is prominent, or someone is celebrating the summer solstice
12. Read a book where the moon is a topic or an influence or on the cover.

Midsummer was thought to be a time of magic, when evil spirits were said to appear. To thwart them, Pagans often wore protective garlands of herbs and flowers. One of the most powerful of them was a plant called 'chase-devil', which is known today as St. John's Wort and still used by modern herbalists as a mood stabilizer. (More about Saint John Later)

13. Read a book with evil/scary spirits.
14. Read a book with a character or author named John
15. Read a book in which a herbalist is a character
16. Read a book with Devils/Demons in it.

Midsummer celebrations in ancient and modern times: Most societies in the northern hemisphere, ancient and modern, have celebrated a festival on or close to Midsummer:

Ancient Celts: Druids, the priestly/professional/diplomatic corps in Celtic countries, celebrated Alban Heruin ("Light of the Shore"). It was midway between the spring Equinox (Alban Eiler; "Light of the Earth") and the fall Equinox (Alban Elfed; "Light of the Water"). "This midsummer festival celebrates the apex of Light, sometimes symbolized in the crowning of the Oak King, God of the waxing year. At his crowning, the Oak King falls to his darker aspect, the Holly King, God of the waning year..." 13 The days following Alban Heruin form the waning part of the year because the days become shorter.

17. Read a book with Celtic charicters, traditions, settings or flavors.
18. Read a book with Priests, Druids or professional or diplomatic characters.

Ancient China: Their summer solstice ceremony celebrated the earth, the feminine, and the yin forces. It complemented the winter solstice which celebrated the heavens, masculinity and yang forces.

19. Read a book with Asian characters, settings, or author.
20. Read a book with strong women, or magical women.

Ancient Gaul: The Midsummer celebration was called Feast of Epona, named after a mare goddess who personified fertility, sovereignty and agriculture. She was portrayed as a woman riding a mare.

21. Read a book with a Goddess in it
22. Read a book with horses/horse shapeshifters,
23. Read a book with sovereignty, agriculture, fertility or pregnancy in the plot.

Ancient Germanic: Slav and Celtic tribes in Europe: Ancient Pagans celebrated Midsummer with bonfires. "It was the night of fire festivals and of love magic, of love oracles and divination. It had to do with lovers and predictions, when pairs of lovers would jump through the luck-bringing flames..." It was believed that the crops would grow as high as the couples were able to jump. Through the fire's power, "...maidens would find out about their future husband, and spirits and demons were banished." Another function of bonfires was to generate sympathetic magic: giving a boost to the sun's energy so that it would remain potent throughout the rest of the growing season and guarantee a plentiful harvest. 6

24. Read a book with an oracle, or with predictions, foretelling, or divinations.
25. Read a book where there is a fire magic
26. Read a book where a couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together.

Ancient Rome: The festival of Vestalia lasted from JUN-7 to JUN-15. It was held in honor of the Roman Goddess of the hearth, Vesta. Married women were able to enter the shrine of Vesta during the festival. At other times of the year, only the vestal virgins were permitted inside.

27. Read a book with a female protag who is either married, or a virgin.
28. Read a book with either a Roman character or setting, or where home (hearth) plays a part in the plot.

Ancient Sweden: A Midsummer tree was set up and decorated in each town. The villagers danced around it. Women and girls would customarily bathe in the local river. This was a magical ritual, intended to bring rain for the crops.

29. Read a book where someone takes a bath/shower, or is in a body of water (hot tub, river or ocean etc.)
30. Read a book where rain or lack of rain is in the plot, or folks live in or travel through a tree filled area (forest) or a tree is mentioned.
31. Read a book where a woman or women are dancing or performing a ritual.

. Christian countries: After the conversion of Europe to Christianity, the feast day of St. John the Baptist was set as JUN-24. It "is one of the oldest feasts, if not the oldest feast, introduced into both the Greek and Latin liturgies to honor a saint." 16 Curiously, the feast is held on the alleged date of his birth. Other Christian saints' days are observed on the anniversary of their death. The Catholic Encyclopedia explains that St. John was "filled with the Holy Ghost even from his mother's womb...[thus his] birth...should be signalized as a day of triumph." 16 His feast day is offset a few days after the summer solstice, just as Christmas is fixed a few days after the winter solstice. 1 "Just as John was the forerunner to Jesus, midsummer forecasts the eventual arrival of" the winter solstice circa DEC-21.

32. Read a book with Christians in it, or Christian beliefs are part of the story.
33. Read a book with saints or ghosts in it.

.Essenes: This was a Jewish religious group active in Palestine during the 1st century CE. It was one of about 24 Jewish groups in the country -- the only one that used a solar calendar. Other Jewish groups at the time included the Sadducees, Pharisees, Zealots, followers of John, and followers of Yeshua (Jesus). Archaeologists have found that the largest room of the ruins at Qumran (location of the Dead Sea Scrolls) appears to be a sun temple. The room had been considered a dining room by earlier investigators, in spite of the presence of two altars at its eastern end. At the time of the summer solstice, the rays of the setting sun shine at 286 degrees along the building's longitudinal axis, and illuminate the eastern wall. The room is oriented at exactly the same angle as the Egyptian shrines dedicated to the sun. Two ancient authorities -- the historian Josephus and the philosopher Filon of Alexandria -- had written that the Essenes were sun worshipers. Until recently, their opinion had been rejected by modern historians.

34. Read a book with a temple or alter in it.
35. Read a book with something sun powered in it, be it solar powered homes, or sunbathers or sun worshippers.
36. Read a book in the Jewish/Palestinian homelands, or with characters from there, or an author of that ethnicity.
37. Read a book with time/timeline/deadline as a part of the plot
38. In honor of the solstice being last Month,in June and this challenge starting in July add a book you started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later.
39. You Pick.
40 Pick a book with a yellow cover in honor of the sun.

The information in this challenge was pulled from:
Copyright © 2000 to 2011 by Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance
Originally written: 2000-MAY-28
Latest update: 2011-JUN-23
Author: B.A. Robinson

Wikipedia

message 2: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I'm in Lily - this is a great challenge!

message 3: by Lily (last edited Jul 25, 2011 04:41PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I am going to just check catagories off my list as I complete books that match them.

Goal 20

7/20

1. Hot Weather

2. Cold Weather

3. Northern Hemisphere

4. Southern Hemisphere

5. Mid-evil time or world (swords and sorcery), or a classic (as defined by you).

6. Author from England, or the book is set in England, or the protag is from or travels to England.

8. Read a book where the main characters are nocturnal (stay up at night instead of day): Defiance ****

9. honey or tan/gold color cover

10. on a honeymoon

11. celebrating with fermented beverages (booze), or a drinking establishment is prominent, or someone is celebrating the summer solstice

12. moon is a topic or an influence or on the cover.

13. evil/scary spirits: Shadow Walker 7/16 ***

14. character or author named John

15. herbalist Warprize 7/20 ****

16. Devils/Demons

17. Celtic:

18. Priests, Druids or professional or diplomatics: Hounded

19. Asian characters, settings, or author.

20. strong women, or magical women.

21. Goddess

22. horses/horse shapeshifters,

23. sovereignty, agriculture, fertility or pregnancy in the plot. Hexed 7/23
24. oracle, or with predictions, foretelling, or divinations. Magic Slays

25. fire magic

26. couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together. The Dark and Hollow Places

27. female protag who is either married, or a virgin.

28. Roman character or setting, or where home (hearth) plays a part in the plot.

29. a bath/shower, or is in a body of water (hot tub, river or ocean etc.) Late Eclipses

30. Read a book where rain or lack of rain is in the plot, or folks live in or travel through a tree filled area (forest) or a tree is mentioned.

32. Read a book with Christians in it, or Christian beliefs are part of the story.

35. Read a book with something sun powered in it, be it solar powered homes, or sunbathers or sun worshippers.

36. Read a book in the Jewish/Palestinian homelands, or with characters from there, or an author of that ethnicity.

37. time/timeline/deadline as a part of the plot

38. Started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later. My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding

39. You Pick.

40 yellow cover: Dead Reckoning ***

Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James Dead Reckoning. by Charlaine Harris by Charlaine Harris Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lili St. Crow Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hit List (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20) by Laurell K. Hamilton Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Includes Dark-Hunter, #9.1; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1) by P.N. Elrod The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan Late Eclipses (October Daye #4) by Seanan McGuire

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) These challenges are too complicated and time consuming for me, so I'll stay out of it.

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "These challenges are too complicated and time consuming for me, so I'll stay out of it."

ah shucks! Well, maybe the next one will catch your fancy. I am thinking of starting another quarterly with the topic, Back to school.

message 6: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Actually, it has been intersting because most of the books I read would fit in 5-10 or more of the catagories. I am finding pagan ideas like solstace, oricles, goddesses, and even solstace celebrations are interwoven in a lot of the books I read which are generally fantasy, PNR, or UF.

Magic Slays I could have check of most of the catagories.

message 7: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. Me too Lily almost all the books I've read are centered around pagan dates.

message 8: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Jul 22, 2011 06:43PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Since we can backdate it to June 21st... I already have 15 completed. So guess I could try for 20+ Moderate

√ 1. Hot Weather - Ninth Key by Meg Cabot 6/21
√ 2. Cold Weather - A Creed Country Christmas by Linda Lael Miller 7/22
√ 3. Northern Hemisphere - Reunion by Meg Cabot 6/22
4. Southern Hemisphere
5. Read a book set in Mid-evil time or world (swords and sorcery), or a classic (as defined by you).
√ 6. Read a book set in England - A Lion's Lady by Julie Garwood 7/8
8. Read a book where the main characters are nocturnal (stay up at night instead of day)
√ 10. Read a book where someone is on a honeymoon - Dylan by Linda Lael Miller 7/20
11. Read a book where folks are celebrating with fermented beverages (booze), or a drinking establishment is prominent, or someone is celebrating the summer solstice
√ 13. Read a book with evil/scary spirits. - Haunted by Meg Cabot 6/25
√ 19. Read a book with Asian characters, settings - Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden 7/16
√ 22. Read a book with horses - Logan by Linda Lael Miller 7/19
23. Read a book with sovereignty, agriculture, fertility or pregnancy in the plot.
√ 24. Read a book with predictions, foretelling, or divinations. - Letter to a Lonesome Cowboy by Jackie Merritt 7/17
√ 26. Read a book where a couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together. - Tyler by Linda Lael Miller 7/21
28. Read a book with either a Roman character or setting, or where home (hearth) plays a part in the plot.
29. Read a book where someone takes a bath/shower, or is in a body of water (hot tub, river or ocean etc.)
√ 32. Read a book with Christians in it, or Christian beliefs are part of the story. - Change of Heart by Fran Shaff 7/14
√ 33. Read a book with ghosts in it. - Darkest Hour by Meg Cabot 6/24
√ 38. In honor of the solstice being last Month,in June and this challenge starting in July add a book you started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later. - The Annotated Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin 7/4
√ 39. You Pick. - Over Europe by Jan Morris 7/16
√ 40. Pick a book with a yellow cover in honor of the sun. - Twilight by Meg Cabot 6/25

message 9: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) ஐ Briansgirl "Book Sale Queen"ஐ wrote: "Since we can backdate it to June 21st... I already have 15 completed. So guess I could try for 20+ Moderate

NICE Briansgirl I'm so glad you jumped in!!

message 10: by Lily (last edited Sep 02, 2011 07:49AM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I am going to just check catagories off my list as I complete books that match them.

Goal 20

14/20

1. Hot Weather

2. Cold Weather

3. Northern Hemisphere

4. Southern Hemisphere:

5. Mid-evil time or world (swords and sorcery), or a classic (as defined by you).

6. Author from England, or the book is set in England, or the protag is from or travels to England.

8. Read a book where the main characters are nocturnal (stay up at night instead of day): Defiance ****

10. on a honeymoon

11. celebrating with fermented beverages (booze), or a drinking establishment is prominent, or someone is celebrating the summer solstice

14. character or author named John Hunt the Moon ****

16. Devils/Demons

17. Celtic:

18. Priests, Druids or professional or diplomatics: Hounded ***

21. Goddess

22. horses/horse shapeshifters, Grave Dance ****

23. sovereignty, agriculture, fertility or pregnancy in the plot: Spectyr (Pregnancy) ***

24. oracle, or with predictions, foretelling, or divinations. Magic Slays ***

25. fire magic

26. couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together. The Dark and Hollow Places ***

27. female protag who is either married, or a virgin: Steel ***

28. Roman character or setting, or where home (hearth) plays a part in the plot. Dark Descendant Now reading

29. a bath/shower, or is in a body of water (hot tub, river or ocean etc.) Late Eclipses ***

36. Read a book in the Jewish/Palestinian homelands, or with characters from there, or an author of that ethnicity. Hexed 7/23

37. time/timeline/deadline as a part of the plot: Warsworn

38. Started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later. My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding **

39. You Pick.

Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lili St. Crow Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hit List (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20) by Laurell K. Hamilton Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Includes Dark-Hunter, #9.1; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1) by P.N. Elrod The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan Late Eclipses (October Daye #4) by Seanan McGuire Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2) by Philippa Ballantine Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth Vaughan Steel by Carrie Vaughn Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5) by Karen Chance Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Dark Descendant (Descendants, #1) by Jenna Black

message 11: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. 28/40 so far

1. Hot Weather Cold Touch
2. Cold Weather Shadow Kiss

Pick one book from an author or a setting in the Northern hemisphere and one in the Southern Hemisphere

3. Northern Hemisphere Blood Promise
4. Southern Hemisphere

Dreams of a Dark Warrior

6. Read a book from an author from England, or the book is set in England, or the protag is from or travels to England.
When Beauty Tamed the Beast
Pagan spirit gatherings or festivals are also common in June, when groups assemble to light a sacred fire, and stay up all night to welcome the dawn.
Oath of Challenge: Conquering Kate
Dark Fire

Shapeshifter's Craving
Victorious Star
Gypsy Moon

On the Edge
The Warrior's Gift
The Devil Inside

Night Lost

Succubus Shadows
Bayou Moon

Claimed by the Wolf
Dane
Iron Crowned

24. Read a book with an oracle, or with predictions, foretelling, or divinations.
Thorn Queen
Magic Burns
26. Read a book where a couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together.
Obsidian Prey

Planet X
Claimed

Past Pleasures
Storm Born
Hexed

.Essenes: This was a Jewish religious group active in Palestine during the 1st century CE. It was one of about 24 Jewish groups in the country -- the only one that used a solar calendar. Other Jewish groups at the time included the Sadducees, Pharisees, Zealots, followers of John, and followers of Yeshua (Jesus). Archaeologists have found that the largest room of the ruins at Qumran (location of the Dead Sea Scrolls) appears to be a sun temple. The room had been considered a dining room by earlier investigators, in spite of the presence of two altars at its eastern end. At the time of the summer solstice, the rays of the setting sun shine at 286 degrees along the building's longitudinal axis, and illuminate the eastern wall. The room is oriented at exactly the same angle as the Egyptian shrines dedicated to the sun. Two ancient authorities -- the historian Josephus and the philosopher Filon of Alexandria -- had written that the Essenes were sun worshipers. Until recently, their opinion had been rejected by modern historians.

38. In honor of the solstice being last Month,in June and this challenge starting in July add a book you started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later.
39. You Pick. Claimed by the Wolf
40 Pick a book with a yellow cover in honor of the sun.

message 12: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) WOW! Carolyn, you have been busy! Some of those books fit the catagories so well!

Carolyn F. wrote: "28/40 so far

Pick one book from an author or a setting in the Northern hemisphere and one in the Southern Hemi..."

message 13: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I was surprised too. It's kind of ironic that Cold Touch has the hot weather - but that's all they talk about is how hot it is.

message 14: by Lily (last edited Sep 22, 2011 02:34PM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) I had fun.

Here we are at the end of this season and on the eve of the Autumnal Equinox. Please get your tallies in on completions. This was really fun. Now I think I am going to try for another seasonal challenge. I may go with Auumnal Eqinox, or broader to pagan and folk holidays during the autumnal equinox. Maybe something else entirely.

Ideas? Thoughts. Does someone else wanna through a seasonal challenge up?

message 15: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Goal 20

19/20 Ah, I must finish off my book by tonight to be sucsessful. The pressure!

1. Hot Weather

2. Cold Weather

3. Northern Hemisphere

4. Southern Hemisphere:

10. on a honeymoon

14. character or author named John Hunt the Moon ****

16. Devils/Demons

17. Celtic:

18. Priests, Druids or professional or diplomatics: Hounded ***

21. Goddess: Hit List ***

22. horses/horse shapeshifters, Grave Dance ****

23. sovereignty, agriculture, fertility or pregnancy in the plot: Spectyr (Pregnancy) ***

24. oracle, or with predictions, foretelling, or divinations. Magic Slays ***

25. fire magic: Mind Storm: A Strykers Syndicate Novel Now reading

26. couple is jumping into adventure, danger, mystery or love together. The Dark and Hollow Places ***

27. female protag who is either married, or a virgin: Steel ***

28. Roman character or setting, or where home (hearth) plays a part in the plot. Dark Descendant ***

29. a bath/shower, or is in a body of water (hot tub, river or ocean etc.) Late Eclipses ***

31. Read a book where a woman or women are dancing or performing a ritual. Aftertime ****

33. Read a book with saints or ghosts in it: Ghost Story.

34. Read a book with a temple or alter in it The Inheritance & Other Stories . ****

35. Read a book with something sun powered in it, be it solar powered homes, or sunbathers or sun worshippers: Crave The Moon **

36. Read a book in the Jewish/Palestinian homelands, or with characters from there, or an author of that ethnicity. Hexed 7/23

37. time/timeline/deadline as a part of the plot: Warsworn

38. Started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later. My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding **

39. You Pick.

Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) by Allyson James Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse, #11) by Charlaine Harris Defiance (Strange Angels, #4) by Lili St. Crow Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) by Ilona Andrews Warprize (Chronicles of the Warlands, #1) by Elizabeth Vaughan Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hit List (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #20) by Laurell K. Hamilton Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (Includes Dark-Hunter, #9.1; Sookie Stackhouse, #6.1) by P.N. Elrod The Dark and Hollow Places (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #3) by Carrie Ryan Late Eclipses (October Daye #4) by Seanan McGuire Spectyr (Book of the Order, #2) by Philippa Ballantine Steel by Carrie Vaughn Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5) by Karen Chance Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2) by Kalayna Price Dark Descendant (Descendants, #1) by Jenna Black Aftertime (Aftertime, #1) by Sophie Littlefield The Inheritance & Other Stories by Robin Hobb Mind Storm A Strykers Syndicate Novel by K.M. Ruiz Warsworn (Chronicles of the Warlands, #2) by Elizabeth Vaughan Crave The Moon (Nightcreature, #11) by Lori Handeland Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher

message 16: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Nope. Didn't finish Mind storm. ah well

Lily wrote: "Goal 20

19/20 Ah, I must finish off my book by tonight to be sucsessful. The pressure!

1. Hot Weather

2. Cold Weather

3. Northern Hemisphere

4. Southern Hemisphere:

5. ..."

message 17: by Lily (last edited Oct 18, 2011 09:51AM) (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Final Tally

Briansgirl: 15/20 (Final)
Carolyn: 33/40 (Final)
Lily 19/20 (Final)

message 18: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I did get to 33 - I can't believe I didn't get the John one though

3. Northern Hemisphere Blood Promise
4. Southern Hemisphere N/A
Dreams of a Dark Warrior
When Beauty Tamed the Beast
Oath of Challenge: Conquering Kate
Dark Fire
Shapeshifter's Craving
A Hearing Heart
Victorious Star
Gypsy Moon
On the Edge
14. Read a book with a character or author named John I can't believe this was an N/A!
The Warrior's Gift
The Devil Inside
17. Read a book with Celtic characters, traditions, settings or flavors.
Tender Morsels
Night Lost
Succubus Shadows
Bayou Moon
Claimed by the Wolf
Dane
Iron Crowned
Thorn Queen
Magic Burns
Obsidian Prey
Planet X
Claimed
Past Pleasures
Storm Born
Hexed
Blood Trail
Turtle Moon
34. Read a book with a temple or alter in it. N/A
35. Read a book with something sun powered in it, be it solar powered homes, or sunbathers or sun worshippers. N/A
36. Read a book in the Jewish/Palestinian homelands, or with characters from there, or an author of that ethnicity. N/A
37. Read a book with time/timeline/deadline as a part of the plot N/A
38. In honor of the solstice being last Month,in June and this challenge starting in July add a book you started in June (or before), but didn’t finish till July or later. N/A
39. You Pick. Claimed by the Wolf
40 Pick a book with a yellow cover in honor of the sun. Precious Things

message 19: by Lily (new)

Lily (lilithesque) Final Tally

Briansgirl: 15/20 (Final)
Carolyn: 33/40 (Final)
Lily 19/20 (Final)

Thanks Carolyn and Briansgirl from playing. I had fun.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.