Angels and Fallen Angels discussion

Author's Corner > Q&A with Darynda Jones author of FIRST GRAVE ON THE RIGHT

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 432 comments Mod
Hi Everyone,

Here you can ask questions to Darynda Jones author of First Grave On The Right.

First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones

message 2: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Hi and thanks so much for setting up this thread! I love questions from readers, so feel free to ask me anything.
xoxox,
~D~

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 3 comments *waves* Hi Darynda!

I was wondering if you had plans to write any more short stories? Or anything else from a POV other than Charley's? (Similar to For I Have Sinned - I really enjoyed reading about Charley's antics and abilities from the ghost's POV.)

I know this question is probably covered in the book, but for the life of me I can't remember. How does Charley keep up with the demand of being the *only* Grim Reaper? You'd think she'd be Grand Central Station!

Thanks!

message 4: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Hi Suzanne!!!

I am planning another short story. I really want to do one from Reyes's POV. I think it could be awesome.

And I've had several people ask me that question so it is my fault. I clearly neglected to make it understandable. Most people "go through the light" seconds after their deaths in Charley's world. She only helps that who are left behind, who have unfinished biz. Otherwise, yeah, she'd be like Grand Central. LOL.

I will have to amp up that part of the story in subsequent books. Of course, I've already finished the next two, so by book four, that will be made clear. Hahaha!

Thanks so much!
~D~

message 5: by Colleen (new)

Darynda wrote: "Hi Suzanne!!!

I am planning another short story. I really want to do one from Reyes's POV. I think it could be awesome.

And I've had several people ask me that question so it is my fault. I cle..."

OOOOHHH, yeah, Reyes's POV would be awesome, I'd love to read that!

message 6: by Colleen (new)

Acutally the more I think about it the funnier the idea is regarding what it must have been like growing up with dear old Dad and if Dad ever waxed sentimental(after several drinks) about his "previous life". It would make for interesting "family" stories.

message 7: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Colleen wrote: "Darynda wrote: "Hi Suzanne!!!

And I've had several people ask me that question so it is..."

Thanks, Colleen! I think it would be fun and...well, sexy as heck. *wriggles brows*

message 8: by Suzanne (Doppleganger) (last edited Jul 20, 2011 09:24PM) (new)

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 3 comments Oooh, a Reyes POV - Shiny! I think that would be awesome too. ;)
Thanks for the answers, Darynda!

**FGOTR Spoilers**

About Reyes...what drew him to Charley? He made a rather large decision because he knew she was being sent, and he made that decision before she was even born. What is it about her that drove him to such an extreme?
BTW, it's very sweet that he intended for them to grow up together, even if it didn't work out that way. Very un-son-of-satanish of him.

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura Carson (laurarcarson) Oh a Reyes POV *swoon*. One quick question: Did you have a specific person in mind when creating him, or did you just create your fantasy man? (as well as mine, thank you ;) ).
I just read the teasers for the next 2 and the short story For I Have Sinned. I love it! I am so excited for the next 2! I love the relationship between between Charlie and Cookie. (and I admit to laughing out loud like a fool about the "leg part" in the teaser for TGDA, as well as most of the things that come out of Charley's mouth). Thank you for writing such a great book that makes me forget my long day and enjoy :)

message 10: by Mandymac (new)

Mandymac | 1 comments My favorite DJ!
I absolutely LOVED FGOTR and can't wait for the next two. I've told so many of my friends about your work, so thank you. My question is... I just got a new car - a silver Toyota Highlander. I LOVE my new car and she needs a name... any suggestions? My daughter wants Tinkerbell... hmmm... don't know if I like that one :) I love how attached I amy to Misery (the car, not the emotional state) so i thought you might be able to help.
Thanks!

message 11: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Suzanne wrote: "Oooh, a Reyes POV - Shiny! I think that would be awesome too. ;)
Thanks for the answers, Darynda!

**FGOTR Spoilers**

About Reyes...what drew him to Charley? He made a rather large decis..."

Thank you so much, Suzanne!!!

As far as what drew him to Charley, in my warped little mind, I felt like it was her personality, her nature that he saw even before she was born that drew him. She was free spirited even then and I think it took him off guard. So he waited for her, wanted to get to know her and to, like you said, grow up with her.

So that was my thinking, but I also wanted to leave it open for interpretation for the readers. Someone else could see something else entirely, and that's great too!

Thanks again!
~D~

message 12: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Laura wrote: "Oh a Reyes POV *swoon*. One quick question: Did you have a specific person in mind when creating him, or did you just create your fantasy man? (as well as mine, thank you ;) ).
I just read the te..."

So glad you enjoyed First Grave, Laura! I love writing about Charley and Reyes. Not to mention Cookie and Uncle Bob.

Confession time on the person behind Reyes, and I hope I don't burst anyone's bubble by giving away trade secrets about my writing process. I steal from everything I have. LOL.

When I originally conjured Reyes, I did have a specific guy in mind, but he kind of evolved from another manuscript I'd written. You know the scene where Charley thinks back to when she was in high school and she first saw Reyes? Well, that scene was written years before FGOTR was even a twinkle in my eye. It was the opening scene for a contemporary romance I"d started and never finished. Nothing paranormal about it. And that scene was very specifically written with actor Jason Behr, whom I adore with a fiery passion, in mind.

So as I was writing FG, I thought about that scene and how nicely it would fit in that story.

Thus, Reyes was born. My sister says I have to stop modeling all my heroes after Jason Behr. Hahaha.

Thanks again! And I hope you enjoy the series for a very long time!
~D~

message 13: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Mandymac wrote: "My favorite DJ!
I absolutely LOVED FGOTR and can't wait for the next two. I've told so many of my friends about your work, so thank you. My question is... I just got a new car - a silver Toyota H..."

Thank you so much for spreading the love, Mandymac! And LOL on the emotional state of Misery. Love it!

I name all my cars, but some are more creative than others. Like I had a Jetta and her name was Jet. Yeah. I think Tinkerbell is hilarious! lol

Misery is taken from two sources. My oldest brother drives a cherry red Jeep Wrangler and I love it. And the car I was driving when I came up with Misery's name was a white Mercedes CLS 500. I loved that car! And her name was, you guessed it, Misery. To I combined the two and came up with the character we both know and love. :)

I am currently driving a La Crosse that I also love and her name is Mayhem. Then I found out the guy from the All State commercials is named Mayhem. Cracked me up! I love those commercials.

But, back to the question at hand. Let me think. A silver Toyota Highlander..... Okay, here are some ideas, but sometimes it takes a while to name them. You have to let their personality shine through and then come up with a fitting description. Hahaha. (I know, I need therapy.)

These are what is coming to mind:
Shirley (no idea why)
Calamity
Slick (that one cracks me up)
Tempest
Trouble
Kelpie
Shade

I could do this all day. LOL. But I actually like Tinkerbell too. It's ironic in a way.

Hugs and let me know what you guys come up with!!!
~D~

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (doppleganger_suzanne) | 3 comments Darynda wrote: "My sister says I have to stop modeling all my heroes after Jason Behr."

Noooo! Keep your muse, hun. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

MandyMac, I know you didn't ask me, but I think Tinkerbell is a great name for a silver SUV. Just think of all the potential 'dust' jokes you could tell when it gets dirty!

message 15: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Suzanne wrote: "Darynda wrote: "My sister says I have to stop modeling all my heroes after Jason Behr."

Noooo! Keep your muse, hun. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;-)

MandyMac, I know you didn't ask me, but..."

LOL! Thanks, Suzanne! I have refused to give up my muse on those grounds. You are so right, if it ain't broke....

Love the dust angle to Tinkerbell!!! So cute! ~D~

message 16: by Colleen (new)

Darynda,

Do you know if Audible.com is going to have second grave on the right available in audio August 16? When I tried to look up the audio book there, they don't even have it listed.

message 17: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Colleen wrote: "Darynda,

Do you know if Audible.com is going to have second grave on the right available in audio August 16? When I tried to look up the audio book there, they don't even have it listed."

You know, with First Grave, they had it but didn't list it until release day. No idea why. I'm not sure, but let me see if I can find out.

message 18: by Colleen (new)

Darynda wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Darynda,

Do you know if Audible.com is going to have second grave on the right available in audio August 16? When I tried to look up the audio book there, they don't even have it..."

Thanks I'd appreciate that.

message 19: by Colleen (new)

Darynda wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Darynda,

Do you know if Audible.com is going to have second grave on the right available in audio August 16? When I tried to look up the audio book there, they don't even have it..."

Hi Darynda, I just wanted to let you know that Audible.com does have your audio book "Second grave on the right" available now.

I already started listening to it and it's really good. In fact, I was up until 2am listening to your book, so I hold you personally responsible for my sleepiness today..LOL. Darn you and your ability to write well :D

message 20: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments HAHAHA!!!! Thank you so much, Colleen!!! Sorry about the late night, but Reyes is worth it, yeah? :)

message 21: by Colleen (new)

Darynda wrote: "HAHAHA!!!! Thank you so much, Colleen!!! Sorry about the late night, but Reyes is worth it, yeah? :)"

You know that's right!!!

message 22: by Colleen (new)

Ok, I finihsed the second book "Second Grave on the Left" and it was awesome!!!

By the way, my daughters name is Serena :)

message 23: by Colleen (new)

Hi Darynda,

Just out of curiousity...who are some of your favorite authors?

message 24: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Thank you so much, Colleen!!!! Yay! And fav authors.... Well, I just discovered Jeaniene Frost and am currently in love with her. I love JR Ward, Kresley Cole, Julia Quinn, Jacquelyn Frank, Laura Wright, Suzanne Collins... I could go on and on, lol.

message 25: by Annii (new)

Annii Hi Darynda, i love both first grave on the right and second grave on the left
reyes is my favorite ;)
how did you get into writing?
how many books are you planning on writing for the series?
i now call you one of my favorite authors and i am recommending you to all of my friends

message 26: by Darynda (new)

Darynda Jones | 12 comments Annii K wrote: "Hi Darynda, i love both first grave on the right and second grave on the left
reyes is my favorite ;)
how did you get into writing?
how many books are you planning on writing for the series?
i ..."

Thank you SOOOO much, Annii!!!

I've always wanted to be a writer. I've loved telling stories since I was a kid. As for this series, I'm not sure how many will be in it. For now it is ongoing.

Thank you again!