Into the Storm (Destroyermen, #1) Into the Storm question

Combo history and sci-fi
George George Jul 12, 2011 12:46PM
This is one for Mark since it combines navy action in WWII and sci-fi literature in moving the destroyer and crew into another world. Might be of interest..

I found the same true for me... Started strong in the first book, but I started losing interest rapidly as I read through the third.

Just finished the 1st book very enjoyable and reminded me of the lost regiment series but on a WWII destroyer some cool and quirky characters in it as well. Getting ready to read the 2nd

I enjoyed the first one. It was an interesting slant on the war and what happened to the ships that went through...I guess a wornhole...and the situation they found themselves in on an alternative Earth. The same could be said for the second book while they were trying to survive under trying circumstances. By the third it was all sounding similar and I stopped. I may give it another try in the future.

For me, it seemed like a very large single book, cut into multiple parts. However, there have been elements in each that I found entertaining and as of the last one I read, it seems like there is going to be a new angle to it. It will probably have to turn as bad as the TV Series 'Heroes' for me to drop it this far in. I want to see if they get back home, or better yet, send the monkey (Lemurians) people, or the crock folk (Grik) to this reality!

This alternate history series is one of the best I have seen. Usually, as a history major, I don't like alternate history because I often disagree with the author's point(s) of divergence. However, this is exceptional. There are now 9 books in the series and I have read all of them and waiting for the tenth.