Oprah's Book Club at Goodreads discussion

Book Discussions > What's your pick for a great (audio)book for a cross-country move?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (last edited Jul 12, 2011 06:03AM) (new)

Melissa Maxwell Davis | 1 comments I am about pack up my belongings, hop in my car with my dog, and move cross country--from NC to NM. I'll be on the road for a long time, and I'm not a person with any fancy satellite radio, so could use some fantastic stories to keep me awake and pass the time.

I'd like some recommendations for absorbing, captivating books, preferably available in audiobook format. I guess I'm partial to books have really rich characterization (the sort of characters you feel like you know or wish you did) and are generally absorbing (either because of plot, writing or both). I realize I've left things pretty wide open, but that's partly intentional, because I'm looking for recommendations of all sorts. What would your audibook pick(s) be for a cross-country move?

Thanks for sharing ideas!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 218 comments Mod
I don't listen to audiobooks much, but people rave about the Harry Potter audiobooks. That might no be what you're looking for, but that's the extent to my audiobooks knowledge. Good luck!

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisarosenbergsachs) | 66 comments I'm not a big audiobook listener but my husband and I have enjoyed listening to episodes of The Number One Ladies' Detective Agency on tape. We have watched the first season's show on HBO ( actually the DVD of it since we didn't have HBO then) and found it a lot of fun. Have a safe trip.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Ann | 1 comments I really enjoyed The Help. The characters were voiced by different readers. It was really good.

message 5: by Jen (new)

Jen Jen (jenjenson) | 2 comments The author Chris Heimerdinger had the amazing talent for captivating you in the first five minutes and keeping you immensely absorbed the entire book. His tennis shoes among the nephites series is a wild and fantastic ride, especially when read our listened to back to back. :) also, dean hughes' series of children of the promise is wonderful as well, still captivating with wonderful characters and stories. Its not as action packed as tennis shoes, but wonderfully written. Both families well soon become since of your most treasured friends. :)

message 6: by Jen (new)

Jen Jen (jenjenson) | 2 comments Sorry, typed that on my phone. Please excuse typos.