Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > It's happened again

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

15,214 editions of NABbed books have been combined.

What's this, the third or fourth time this has happened? I thought the person doing this was reprimanded the last time...revoking librarian "privileges" is in order.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43592 comments Mod
It doesn't look to be the same person.

It happens ANY time someone gets the bright idea to use auto-combine for that "author".

message 3: by Lobstergirl (last edited Jul 11, 2011 08:22PM) (new)

Lobstergirl Maybe we should disable auto-combine.

Or at a minimum, have a huge pop-up for auto-combine within NOT A BOOK that screams DO NOT AUTOCOMBINE.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I actually just asked Michael if that is possible for that "author".

We'll see what he says.

This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For | 949 comments I've never liked the auto-combine feature for any author. Would rather just do the work of finding the editions.

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "I've never liked the auto-combine feature for any author. Would rather just do the work of finding the editions."

Ditto that, I've never even used it.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I've tried it, but it doesn't seem to be very effective. I've used it for an author that appears to have about a million uncombined editions for a million and a half different works...to kind of give me a head start...but I always have to go back and combine some more...it only combines the most obviously same ones. If it's got *anything* different in the title, or it's in a different language, forget it. Even caps/lower case seem to affect it.

I can't figure out why people are messing with the nab's though...or why it matters if anything is combined? I guess I just never really thought about it.

message 8: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Frankly, I think of it as a closet of horrors I'd just rather not open. ::shudder::

message 9: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

*shrug* I find auto-combine very useful for certain authors. Would never use it on many others, though. And I definitely always check if there's a don't-use Note. (And there IS one on NAB.)

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Michael broke it up, and will see what he can do about disabling auto-combine for that "author".

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments On a slightly related note, I think I've heard this before, but if something that was imported from amazon is NABbed, and leaves the amazon database, can it then be deleted?

I'm so full of questions today for some reason...

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Yes, but it would have to be gone from ALL the Amazon sites. It's not uncommon to still be on .uk or .ca, even if it's gone from .com.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 963 comments Boo. That would have been a fun project, going through those. Thanks rivka!

message 14: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Jessica wrote: "Boo. That would have been a fun project, going through those. Thanks rivka!"

Too bad there's not a special designation for these kinds of NAB's. So eventually if they either find a way to filter them out from the GR database or whatever, they could be found easier. Like "NOT A BOOK ASIN"

message 15: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Jessica wrote: "This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For wrote: "I've never liked the auto-combine feature for any author. Would rather just do the work of finding the editions."

Ditto that, I've never even used it..."

Ditto again. Never used it.

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl rivka wrote: "Michael broke it up, and will see what he can do about disabling auto-combine for that "author"."

Great.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 24780 comments Good idea!

I've never used it myself either.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 69 comments I don't think I have, either.