Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Questions > How do I merge books?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (new)

Sara (bsara) | 7 comments Hello everyone,

I can't seem to figure out how to merge books. I've read the manual, but it's too vague for me. I also searched through the topics but I didn't understand the information I found.

These two books are exactly the same:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66...

I've edited the second one with data from the first one. I am sure they are the same because the ISBN's belong together.

I haven't merged any books before (or combine books, but I've read that it doesn't apply to this). I really like to learn so I can help with more. Can someone tell me what to do step by step?

Thanks in advance.

message 2: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments Merging two editions can only be done by super-librarians.

If you post in the please delete this book thread someone will get it merged properly. :)

message 3: by vicki_girl (last edited Jul 11, 2011 05:01PM) (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Actually, any librarian can merge two books, IF less than five people have added it to their shelves. Both editions Sara listed have been shelved by exactly five people, so I don't know if it would work for a regular librarian or not.

For future reference, here is how to merge these editions.

1. Click on one of the book links to bring up the book page.
2. Click on "Other Editions" to the right of the book information.
3. This should take you to a list of all the editions of that book. Click on "separate" in the top right of this page.
4. This should take you to the Separate Tool page for that work. Use the radio buttons to select the identical editions.
5. Click on the Separate Editions button at the bottom of the page.
6. This should leave the two identical editions combined with only each other.
7. You should be on the Combine page at this point. Find the book that needs to be deleted and merged. (Note: You will only be able to delete the less popular edition. The less popular edition should be listed second.)
8. Select "edit" for the less popular edition.
9. IMPORTANT: For this type of case (separated ISBN-10 and ISBN-13) copy the ISBN and save it to use after the merge.
10. Scroll to the bottom of the edit page and select "delete this book".*
11. The duplicate book should then gone with all reviews merged to the remaining edition.
12. Copy the ISBN you saved into the appropriate slot in the remaining edition and save.
13. Combine the remaining edition back with the other editions.

*If the book has been shelved by more than five people, you will get an error message when you try to delete it. In that case, post a link to the book in the delete thread as Vicky suggested.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Got it. And may I say...whew.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara (bsara) | 7 comments Thank you for your clear explanation vicki_girl! I see it's merged already. If I come across something similar I'll try it myself. Otherwise I will post in the thread Vicky mentioned.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.