The Next Best Book Club discussion

Book Related Banter > How to read horror (sanely) when you have an extremely overactive imgaination!!?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 4 comments I like reading darker books like horrors and thrillers. I also read mostly at night. I have a highly overactive imagination which is both a blessing and a curse.
If the book draws me in and is detailed enough, the characters really come to life for me!
This is great except I start thinking that there is someone outside my window watching me at night or waiting to pounce on me on my way to the bathroom, so often, that sometimes I'm afraid to go. Sometimes I think I'll get shot by someone through our huge kitchen windows if I go down to the kitchen to get some water at night. I live in the country and I know that this is all nonsense but it still happens and it's difficult to shake and keep my cool when it does!

I end up really scaring myself silly!
I can't be alone in this!

How do the rest of keep your cool on not get too freaked out when reading such novels (particularly at night!) ?

I want to stop playing it safe with my horrors and thrillers!

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (mkop359) No one has any ideas yet. I have the same issue. I just end up sliding my back along a wall on dark nights. Horror definitely freaks me out, but I do love it so!

message 3: by Esther (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 573 comments I get up and surf Goodreads!

Gitte - Bookworm's Closet (gittetofte) I feel the same way, Mairead! I get so terrified when it becomes dark if I've got a horror-story/movie fresh in my mind. It's actually so bad that I've decided not to read or watch horror books / movies anymore :Z

message 5: by Adrienne (last edited Jul 22, 2011 04:55AM) (new)

Adrienne (a-town) | 308 comments Even though I love to read at night, if I find my imagination overreacting too much, I force myself to put the book down and finish it at noon the next day with all the lights turned on:) If I'm having trouble falling asleep I often force myself to think of happy or at the very least, less creepy thoughts, and if that doesn't work, I'll watch TV or start another book that I know will make me laugh or at least take my mind off of the horror.

message 6: by Mairéad (new)

Mairéad | 4 comments Adrienne wrote: "Even though I love to read at night, if I find my imagination overreacting too much, I force myself to put the book down and finish it at noon the next day with all the lights turned on:) If I'm ha..."

Ya that's a good idea!...reading a lighter book! I've started doing that now by reading the Discworld series! (: ...it works!!