Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > adding books - from Amazon, I think

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mina (last edited Jul 11, 2011 01:40AM) (new)

Mina (minas0) | 5 comments While browsing through my favorite authors I saw that there were many editions listed as separate books with no covers and publishers or years mentioned in the titles. I moved on to C.S. Lewis. Apparently he had 400 independent works but only 320 - so far - are independent works.

Does anyone know the reason for the sudden overflow?

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Probably users adding editions that don't really exist. I've seen other authors with the same problem...or, do some of them need to be combined?

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments It looks like there are a lot of our ASIN friends in the mix. Amazon gives ASIN numbers to items being sold by authorized sellers on the website, and many of them are being imported now when they are not correct books.

Check the the ISBN/ASINs. If a book has an ASIN number that is NOT a audiobook or kindle edition, chances are they are one of these problems and can be reported for deletion. Be careful with the combines though, these have been known to mess with the Original Publication Dates.

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments Madalina, if on the book's GR page, there's a section for get the book. There's an online link and if you click on the Amazon one for these ASIN only books, many times you'll be able to tell that it's a used book "sale" on Amazon. A lot of times I've clicked on it and the pictures for the books that the seller has posted, sales info, etc. will come up. After the sale is over (someone has purchased it), it will come up as a not available screen.