dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
Book reviews for week 27.

message 2: by Ghadah (new)

Ghadah (ghadahkhalid) | 29 comments Mockingjay

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
4\5

I've never been so gloomy and sad. I don't know why. Is it because I finished reading the trilogy? Is it bec..okay, I was about to spoil. It's just..*sigh*
First off, in my opinion, all of the three books start off boring until they reach chapter 10 and the REAL action starts.
That is all.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 3: by Kay (new)

Kay (johanik) | 19 comments The Second Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares.
2.5/3

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 40 comments One Summer by David Baldacci One Summer
rating: 5/5
my full review

Since I started the first page, I can say I was glued to it. I think it has something to do with the style of writing that made the story float so smoothly and very lightly. But after few chapters I've come to related to every character. They were real and vivid in my imagination. And not even once I had the desire to put the book down. Emotionally, I couldn't have read this book in a better time than this. It was somehow therapeutic and kind of reassuring in its own way. I stopped at some lines and reflected some of what I read on my own life and got new insights.

One Summer is a story to celebrate new beginnings and new chances. Frankly, who wouldn't like to celebrate both.

ɑƨħŵɑɡ ♥Team Magnus Damora FOREVER♥ (unheard) | 40 comments Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Fallen
Rating 1/5

can’t believe how much I am disappointed in this book. It lacks so much for me. I even fell asleep many times after I read it and wake up to see it half way and I feel no desire to rewind.

so much disappointment

message 6: by Shayma (new)

Shayma (almightysush) | 45 comments The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series The Demonata #1: Lord Loss: Book 1 in the Demonata series by Darren Shan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

this was a really good book i mean really good book.
it got kinda boring in the middle but then it became so nerv pulling so exciting i couldent put it down.
on the back of the book it says worning extremly scary i laughed at that i wasent laughing when i came to sleep last night.

View all my reviews

message 7: by Yasmeen (new)

Yasmeen (yassoma) | 123 comments Mod
Number the Stars Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Since I grew up reading literature for grown-ups (and not Harry Potter and young adult novels), I figured I should give Lois Lowry a try, and this book in particular because it seemed interesting and not addressed to young readers only.

And wow, what a great touching story. It's perfect for introducing the horrors of the Nazi invasion to children and teenagers in a manner that's not disturbing and quite accessible.

I must admit, I teared up reading the afterword.

Recommended.

View all my reviews

message 8: by Lamia (new)

Lamia Al-Qahtani (lamia-alqahtani) أن تكون عربيا في أيامنا
by عزمي بشارة

4/5

message 9: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) YASMINE - I LOVE Number the Stars, one of my all time favorite kids books!

message 10: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristinalawhead) Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate, #1) by Gail Carriger
Soulless by Gail Carriger
Rating: 2.5/5

Review: I was torn between 2 and 3 stars on this one. WHY ARE THERE NO HALF STARS YET! I feel like it took me forever to read it because I couldn't really get interested in it after the first few chapters, however, I had friends here over the weekend I was reading it which was a distraction so I won't say it was just lack of interest. I really liked the characters, especially Alexia, Lord Maccon and Lord Akeldama and I really like Gail Carrigers style of writing. There were lots of funny and witty parts but overall the story just kind of bored me. I'm not exactly sure what it is that I wasn't into. I don't know if I'll read the sequels or not, definitely not right away though.

message 11: by Afnan (new)

Afnan Amer (AAfnan) | 24 comments عشت سعيدا من الدراجة إلى الطائرة  by عبد الله السعدون
عشت سعيدا من الدراجة إلى الطائرة
4\5

هذا الكتاب أكثر من سيرة ذاتية، انه نظرة لمجتمع ينتقل من جيل إلى آخر ينقله الكاتب بدءًا من جدته وعمته سارة،حتى يصل في نهايته إلى حفيدته شوق.
الكتاب -وعلى كثرة صفحاته- مشوق جدًا، لايترك لك مجالا لتركه وهو ينتقل من قصة إلى أخرى ومن زمن إلى زمن، مارًا بأحداث مهمة لا يعرفها الكثير من أبناء الجيل الجديد، وكيف غيرت وجه الحياة والمجتمع حين عبرت به.
أعجبتني جدًا الكثير من المقاطع في هذا الكتاب، الذي تظهر فيه روح الانضباط والانفتاح في نفس الوقت. أكثر ما يبرز في هذا الكتاب -بالإضافة إلى تجارب اللواء السعدون الشخصية- روايته وتعليقه على تقبل المجتمع للتغيرات الكثيرة التي لاحقته على مر الزمن، وآراءه وتعليقاته على العديد من المظاهر الاجتماعية والادارية في المجتمع من حولنا

message 12: by Alhanouf (new)

Alhanouf (itshnf) | 54 comments If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

3/5

It's a good story. A bit slow sometimes. Overall I enjoyed it.

message 13: by Raya (new)

Raya Al-Raddadi سيد رجال التاريخ "محمد صلى الله عليه وسلم"
علي الطنطاوي
4/5
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/29...

يتحدث فيه الشيخ الطنطاوي عن شخصية الرسول صلى الله عليه وسلم بتعمق لنفكر بها بطريقة مغايرة عما كنا نفكر من قبل
تحدث عن الهجرة بإسهاب وكيف انها لم تكن مجرد رحلة من مكة الى المدينة بل كانت رحلة تاريخية حولت مسار الإسلام والمسلمين
هي هجرة من الذل إلى العزة ومن الهوان إلى الكرامة ومن الضعف إلى القوة.. هجرة ساهمت في وضع اساسيات دولة الإسلام
كتاب جميل خفيف ننهيه بسويعات ليبقى أثره خالدا بإذن الل

message 14: by Johara (new)

Johara Almogbel | 71 comments So, okay, I'm cheating a bit by reading fluffy books, but, shhhhh... I need to catch up:D

The Ex Games (Simon Romantic Comedies) The Ex Games by Jennifer Echols

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Cute book. I liked the main character and her friends, very lively and fun to read.

View all my reviews

message 15: by Tempus (new)

Tempus | 46 comments Anything You Want by Derek Sivers
Anything You Want
Derek Sivers

5/5

I have loved reading Derek Sivers' essays for the longest time. And even though I've read some of the ones mentioned in the book before, they were still as fresh and thought provoking as ever.

I listened to the audio book narrated by Mr. Sivers himself, it added another layer of personal connection to the stories. It narrates a story with an unusual approach to business. Yet it's about much more than that.

It's a very short book, and I would recommend it to everyone.

message 16: by Rakan (new)

Rakan (rakanmsd) | 50 comments 1984 by George Orwell
by George Orwell
Rating 5/5

A truly amazing piece of literature. I can't believe it was written in 1949!

In this book Orwell Imagines a perverse Utopia in which people are no longer driven by independent thought. Their personalities, their individualism has been wiped out for pure power.

The book is about Winston Smith and his life in England 1984, but in this 1984 England belonged to one of the three big worldstates, Oceania, Where the government "The Party" rules through different ministries with an ironhand. And "Big Brother" is the face of Oceania under whom everyone should obey.

This is a must read !