Writers Without Borders discussion

Need Writing Advice?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dani (new)

Dani Smith (daniquickdraw) | 30 comments Any aspiring authors or authors working on projects that need advice? Post it here!

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (countrykittie) | 72 comments Mod
Also, if anyone needs some writers advice, there is a brand new blogsite called, aptly, Writers of Mass Distraction at http://wmdgroup.wordpress.com There are reviews there and some advice. Check it out some time.

message 3: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1 comments hi everyone, I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I have a few stories in my head and I'm trying to write them done so I'm looking for help. But I'm not an author and I'm not sure if I'll be one, but I want to. I love writing

message 4: by Beth (new)

Norma wrote: "I've been a published author for 25 years now and find I still don't have all the answers....

Beth, you beat me to the plug!"

Sorry....as long as one of us gets it there...

message 5: by Beth (new)

Norma wrote: "Beth wrote: "Also, if anyone needs some writers advice, there is a brand new blogsite called, aptly, Writers of Mass Distraction at http://wmdgroup.wordpress.com There are reviews there and some ad..."

Yeah, that's great! We're moving so fast!!

message 6: by Lucy (new)

Lucy | 2 comments punctuation confuses me...

message 7: by Beth (new)

Punctuation is confusing...it's hard to know where to put commas (my nemesis)...or colons, etc. Also, when it's appropriate for exclamation points. I think they tend to get used when they're not needed, then when they are needed, they're not used. But, I guess a teacher, or self-help book might be helpful.

message 8: by D.M. (new)

D.M. (DMYates) When it starts confusisng me, I look for the answer in search, then take the best one.
Let's face it. English grammar is complicated.

message 9: by WildAboutBones (new)

WildAboutBones | 1 comments As a freelance editor and proofreader for several publishers and independent authors, I can honestly tell you ... There. Are. No. Rules! {chuckling} Seriously though, each publisher I work with has their own punctuation guidelines, some agree, some don't. (I had to create cheat sheets for each one.) Some will tell you to use the Chicago Manual of Style which is, many times, so contrary to what we learned in English classes throughout our school years. My advice is to get in the writing zone, focus on/worry about getting the words and the story 'on paper' and then hire a freelance editor or proofreader to fix it. If you have basic punctuation questions, feel free to contact me through Goodreads (using the send message feature) and I'll be happy to help you.