Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series) discussion

Book 4 > The "re-read" before the big release!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) So, I'm super excited about the release of the fourth book, problem is I don't remember half of what has been unresolved or where in detail it left off. Since there was one or two people who said they were interested in doing a "re-read", I thought it would be cool to create a discussion for all to share thoughts, ideas, or things they forgot about.
The plan is to read:
Eragon in August
Eldest in September
Brisingr in October
Anybody game?

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 34 comments I'm going to reread them but probably not to that schedule, I'm probably going to read end of October into November.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Thats great! I'm just saying thats my plan. sorry to confuse. I'm a speed reader and I'm really hoping to take my time and pace myself better. That way I retain and remember more. It doesn't matter what schedule you want to set up for yourself! :)

message 4: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 34 comments No it's okay, I get what you are saying. I'm a speed reader too, but I need to read them right before I read the last (I love saying that!) to get and keep it all in my head.

Diabolical Daemonic   (DemonicAngel) | 53 comments I'll read mine in October and November, but I'll definitely be re-reading ;P

message 6: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Yeah I'm going to re-read them too :)

I'll read along with your schedule Heather :) I always read the books so fast because I love them sooo much!

I'd like to read them at a slower pace so that I can retain more and then maybe catch some hints to book 4 that I might have missed before.

message 7: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Also, have you read The Inheritance Almanac? It's like an encyclopedia for all things Inheritance cycle :)

If you haven't read it yet, you should before the last book. I think it would make for some good discussion!

message 8: by Heather (last edited Jul 09, 2011 07:27PM) (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Brittany wrote: "Also, have you read The Inheritance Almanac?

Yes...I did try but it was kind of hard... I think what I'll do this time is get it and use it while I read one, two and three. Maybe it will be easier to read that way. I don't know, I just got bored with it so quickly!

I also picked the slower schedule for those who are slow readers. That way everyone reaches a happy medium. :)

message 9: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Yeah I read it all the way through but it was a bit dry because it was just basically a dictionary of all things Alagaesia.

I think I will use it while I'm re-reading the books as well. It will be handy to use while reading cuz there are a few things that are a bit more difficult to follow.

For sure I totally understand. I will read at my own pace but I'll start in August. If I finish ahead of time, I'll just re-read them again :)

message 10: by Marx (new)

Marx Leo | 66 comments I'm going along with your plan too! I can't wait to re read the book again!

message 11: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments My Inheritance book is in E-book format. Bad news is I lost my Ipad in the hotel at Indonesia. Crap, just before the release, this happens.

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) That sucks! But with E-books don't they save your downloads so if something like that happens you don't have to pay again?

message 13: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments I do not have extra copy. bummmer. I'll just go back to old musty books then, I hope our local library has one.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Do you live in the States? Because most states have all their libraries connected and even if your local one doesn't have it, you can have it shipped in.

message 15: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments i do

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Has anyone read Secret of the Dragon Riders? Just curious what it was about and if it was worth it. :)

message 17: by Caitlin (last edited Jul 27, 2011 11:08AM) (new)

Caitlin (catsbooksandcritters) | 34 comments Heather wrote: "Has anyone read Secret of the Dragon Riders? Just curious what it was about and if it was worth it. :)"

I've read it and no it's not worth it. It basically just a bunch of essays on people thoughts on the books and I don't think it includes the 3rd book.

message 18: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Yeah I heard it wasn't that great. I'd recommend the Inheritance Almanac, especially as a companion while you're re-reading the series.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Ok thanks. So if its that lousy, why do they publish that crap? Whatever...that's totally disappointing!

message 20: by Harpoon (new)

Harpoon ... | 1387 comments Thanks Caitlin for the info.

No books in the library. as always. am now searching within my circle of friends. *cross fingers*

message 21: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments They probably just published it because it was associated with the series so they knew that some hardcore fans would buy it just because it was a part of the series, even if the content wasn't that great. That's sneaky marketing for ya!

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Gentlemen and Ladies........and bald headed babies. It is time to kick off the big "re-read"!!! (for those who will be following along)
...and so it begins.

message 23: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I'm reading a few other books right now so I probably won't start for a few days.

Happy reading to all you Alagaesians out there who have started re-reading!

message 24: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Thats alright! Whatever works for everyone's individual schedules.

message 25: by Paula (new)

Paula Moreira | 2 comments I don't think I can read Brisingr in a month :O

message 26: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments I think i could read all three in a week and a half, but i am already reading other books

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Like you, Jared, I am a speed reader. I enjoy reading dialogue...NOT descriptive paragraphs! :P

And to Paul, If you think you can read Eragon faster then start Eldest in mid august so as to be ahead then fine. If you think you'll need all of november to finish the last book...then I say go for it! This isn't to constrict your reading, it's give a flexible schedule that individuals can work around and still hope to be kind of with everyone else. Don't stress over it! I'm not sending anyone after you to bite your head off ;)

message 28: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I like reading descriptive paragraphs about the same or more than dialogue. I like picturing the scene in my head the way the author is describing it. Plus, a lot more can be said in how something is described than what characters say. I find dialogue is somewhat restrictive regarding interpreting symbols and themes in a story. A lot of times characters can't really say what they're feeling or something like that, but the author can describe the scene in a way where you know the underlying mood and theme of what's going on. Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time trying to put into words what I mean lol.

message 29: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Also, I'm going to start re-reading Eragon right away. I was reading some other books but now I have a bit of a break so I'm going to read Eragon while reading other stuff so that I can spread the series out up until the new book is released.

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Hahaha Brittany I hear ya! I didn't mean I don't like any descriptive reading. I mean obviously you have to start somewhere...how else are you going to know everything? But its when I have to read two pages of it.....then it gets slightly boring ;)
Awesome that you'll be starting up. Yeah I'm in the middle of two series right now so I'm reading Eragon bits and pieces that way to spread it out over one month.

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Ok here's a question for everyone even if you haven't started reading.
Pertaining to the last book: What is ONE major plot development that you hope will occur? (whether it be a developing romance, a death, a character change...anything)

I hope Nasuada becomes queen of Alagaesia. Who says it has to be a guy?

message 32: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Oh okay I get it now Heather :) I don't mind reading a lot of descriptive stuff. It makes me get a better picture in my mind :)

I think Nasuada has a good chance. She will be competing with Roran for the throne possibly I think.

I don't know oh my goodness I can't pick just one lol ummm... I know it's cheesy but I hope that Eragon and Arya get together :) What can I say? I'm a romantic at heart!

message 33: by David (new)

David jones | 21 comments I do not think I am going to reread them because I am not very good with rereading books. But I will however, once I get the book, read the synopsis in the beginning summing up the last 3 books.

message 34: by Jeannine (new)

Jeannine | 1 comments Just started re-reading the books. And I like Nasuada for Queen and am also hoping Eragon and Arya get together!

message 35: by Heather (last edited Aug 07, 2011 10:51AM) (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Because of all the book series I'm in the middle of its been hard to allot time for Eragon but I'm really starting to get into the spirit! And with this slow and detailed read I've been thinking of a lot more questions as I go but lets start with one and hear from ya'll out there!

For readers and nonreaders:
Maybe I've forgotten details from the other books but weren't the Elves and Galbatorix trying to find the next rider by having them pass by and/or touch the eggs. So think about this, it took at least two to three weeks for Saphirra to hatch for Eragon. Why would they expect it to hatch instantly for another kid? Whats to say it could hatch two weeks later for the real Rider when another child is passing by.

Does that make sense? Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas? :)

message 36: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I'm going on an 8 hour bus ride this week so I'm going to start re-reading Eragon. It's always been entertaining for me and I will never get sick of it so I'll read it on a very boring trip.

As for the whole hatching of the new dragon thing:
Yeah they would parade children (human and elf) in front of the egg and have them touch it to see if it would hatch. I think it took a little while for the dragon to hatch, but I would guess that the Riders would be able to tell which child the dragon chose by the reaction inside the egg. The other dragons could probably tell too because of their deep mental link to their own species. That is just my guess. I don't think Christopher has ever said anything specific regarding the procedure of hatching eggs for new Riders. Maybe we'll learn that in this last book?

message 37: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments i hope so

message 38: by Heather (last edited Aug 10, 2011 01:48PM) (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Hello everyone! It's been a few days so I figured I'd post a new question to make ya'll think. :)

What does everyone think about the Spine? We've heard that its strange, mysterious, and Galbatorix lost a lot of men in it. But we've never heard much in detail. Any hopes pertaining to the future of the Spine?

message 39: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments good question.

message 40: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments I also wondered about the old guy who has those books full of spells and eragon ran into on his way back from helgrind

message 41: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments maybe the spine is where the rock of Kuthian is

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Jared wrote: "maybe the spine is where the rock of Kuthian is"

Thats what I was thinking!

message 43: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Yeah the Rock of Kuthian could be in the Spine. It seems logical because it's so mysterious. I also still think that the Rock of Kuthian/Vault of Souls contains a bunch of dragon eldunari and that's why Galbatorix's search for them has not been successful. He is afraid of the Spine and won't go in like many people. AKA perfect place for there to be a stash of eldunari!

Also, I believe Tenga (the elf Eragon ran into on his way back to the Varden/Surda from Helgrind) will help Eragon to find his true name, figure out Brom's last words, and find the Rock of Kuthian/Vault of Souls.

One other thought I had, why is everyone so sure that the Rock of Kuthian and the Vault of Souls are in the same place? I know they were mentioned together by CP but has anyone thought of the possibility that they are in two different places? I believe Solembum said "when times are hard and you have no faith, go to the Rock of Kuthian and speak your name to open the Vault of Souls" or something to that effect. Just because he mentioned them together, doesn't necessarily mean they are in the same place. Anyways, just a thought that popped into my head while reading your theory about the Rock of Kuthian, Jared.

message 44: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments Brittany wrote: "Yeah the Rock of Kuthian could be in the Spine. It seems logical because it's so mysterious. I also still think that the Rock of Kuthian/Vault of Souls contains a bunch of dragon eldunari and that'..."

good idea although I think that eragon will figure out his true name on his own otherwise tenga could pretty much control him. also about a potential stash of eldunari; think about the name vault of souls, could be dragon souls aka eldunari. good idea

message 45: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments Yeah I think he'll figure out his true name himself, but I do strongly believe Tenga will help him get to that place. Or if not that situation, then he'll help Eragon figure out the meaning/purpose of Brom's last seven words.

And yes I believe that eldunari = souls as well. It just makes sense! :)

message 46: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) Question: The dragon that Galbatorix stole as a hatchling. Is it's true rider dead? Was there anything said for sure that he/she was killed?

message 47: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I believe that when Brom told Eragon the story, it was stated that Galbatorix killed the rider of the dragon hatchling he stole. Don't know exactly what the quote is but I'm sure that's what he said.

Also, just taking this question into consideration, what if the dragon's original rider was Kuthian and he is the guardian of the VOS? Like the Rock of Kuthian is a place where he died and his spirit/soul guards the VOS?

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather (ninjarian) No wait don't rule it out yet!!! :D When I was reading through the beginning of the first book nothing was said about his dragon's true rider being killed.
http://inheritance.wikia.com/wiki/Gal...
^Read Fall of the Riders
I mean yeah they talked about the forsworn uprising and all that jazz about riders being killed...but Brom and Oromis survived. Whats to say Shruikan's Rider isn't still alive!!!! Cause he was forced to bond with Galbatorix. Wouldn't that be an awesome twist?!?!

message 49: by britt ✨ (new)

britt ✨ (britteeebee) | 287 comments I'm sure in Eragon when Brom first tells the tale of the dragon riders when the nomads come to Carvahall he states that Galbatorix killed Shruikan's original Rider and then took the hatchling for himself. I'll try and find the part in the book.

message 50: by Jared (new)

Jared (therobot) | 152 comments yeah i'm pretty sure galbatorix killed off all the riders including shruikan's

« previous 1

Christopher Paolini (INHERITANCE CYCLE series)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Inheritance (other topics)