Writing Passionates discussion

Reviews & Critiques > K! I AM REALLY MAD RIGHT NOW SO DON'T PUSH MY BUTTONS!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 210 (210 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:37AM) (new)

Seth (ninjaaaaaofwritingbooks) | 2205 comments Mod
This is REALLY bugging me. So much that I actually had to CHANGE A NAME in one of my stories. It is called 'The Jump: A Short Story'. Apparently, it is a lot like Twilight. Well, New Moon I guess. I did use the name 'Embry' but does that really pertain? IT IS JUST A NAME! And the story has NOTHING to do with TWILIGHT! NOTHING! If you have not read and are interested in reading, here is the link:

http://www.goodreads.com/story/show/2...

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
well it's just that by using the name Embry AND using the whole cliff-diving situation, it seemed like fanfic for twilight ...

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

lol Seth, u r hilarious!

message 4: by Brigid ✩ (new)

XD

message 5: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) I'm sorry. It's just that it does a lot of the same things in New Moon but your writing style is incredible and different from Stephanie Meyer's.

Hylian Princess  (hylianprincess) I think that if you wrote more for people to read they would see that it is not like Twilight. So far they have only seen that one section, so they automatically jump to that other book. If there was more, they could see that it's not the same. :)

message 7: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller Would you be willing to change the name? The fact that you have that AND cliff diving is kind of freakishly similar, you know?

message 8: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah ...

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I mean, they are other names similar to Embry... or, if you really love that name, maybe change the sport to sky diving or something

message 10: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

i changed the name to something random bcuz so many ppl mentioned it.

message 11: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
lol

message 12: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

its true!!!

message 13: by Brigid ✩ (new)

well that's good

message 14: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah ...

message 15: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I think that seth should keep the story the way he wants, and not care if it sounds like twilight at all. I mean, it's just a short story, right? And nobody has to read it and say anything if they don't want to.

message 16: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller true... very true!

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

ur idea becomes unorigional. (is that a word?) if you plot is like a girl falling in love with a vampire and they end up getting married ... people connect to twilight!

message 18: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah ... just because it's about vampires doesn't mean it's like twilight, but when you use the exact same plot, then it is. if that makes sense.

message 19: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments I actually think the problem is that SM used a common sort of plot. I mean the 'human falls in love with some sort of creature and they fall in love and get married and possibly have kids' plot. It gets used alot she also used common mythical creatures, and things of that sort. Then because its a really popular book people tend to relate things to it often. Therefore making it hard to write a book (especially if it involves vampires) without it being related to Twilight.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

thats true... she did pick a very common plot... so i think alot of things that arent meant to be a fan fic sound like fan fics.

message 21: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments Exactly. For instance i'm writing a story right now, and i'm pretty sure that if you looked at the plot idea you would relate it to Twilight. But if you looked at everything else it would seem nothing like Twilight except for maybe a few parts.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

cool

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 1074 comments I know but i have like maybe 5 or 10 more pages to write before i finish with the rough draft but it is sooo annoying cause I already know how its going to end!!

message 24: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

i agree with roni.

message 25: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments Umm, Seth, it still says "Embry" in the paragraph about him running towards the MC. might wanna look over it again.

message 26: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 49 comments I hope I didn't push your buttons ... although three and a half months later, I hope you're cooled down. :)

message 27: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

I is cooled lol. gah i knew i couldn't hit every embry. but who cares?

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

well you could do one of those "find ... replace ..." things

message 29: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments :?)

message 30: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

And nice one, seth, with the phone (your title, says that you washed the phone and it still works...:D)

message 31: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments *D

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW ACTIVE THIS GROUP IS!! I mean almost every single topic on the group is like waaay active. I can't catch up again!

message 33: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

not EVERY topic. Not even close! Maybe half of them though.

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

this is the only group that's stayed active since i've joined goodreads. lol

message 35: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

...yeah. It's because there are all the people that never get off goodreads in this group...

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairemoelis) ★XxRACHELxX★ wrote: "yea i really dont like that either when you are writing a book and it has simularites it automaticly is like twilight

now noone can write bout a vampire or werewolf without someone saying its to..."

yeah its like when a book becomes popular the basic idea of it is automatically owned by the author so you can't write about vamps without being compared to Meyer and you can't write about wizards without being compared to Rowling. I know it should be a compliment cuz they're great writers but most people just want to be individual and not part of an idea cult.

message 37: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Actually, the wizards thing isn't totally true. I mean, there are so many different types of wizards: ones with wands, ones without wands, ones that studied to become one, ones that it just happened to...

And the same with the vampires.

I can think of a book(s) that defy each one of those, and cannot be compared to them.

a)Blue Bloods by Marissa de la Cruz
b)The Young Wizards Series by Diane Duane

message 38: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i hated blue bloods ... o.O it was -- um -- odd

message 39: by Brigid ✩ (new)

ooh but you know a good-but-"different" vampire book is Peeps by Scott Westerfeld. <3 yaay

message 40: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller I loved the Young Wizards SERIES!!! IT ROCKED!!!

message 41: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

OMG SOMEBODY ELSE WHO HAS READ THEM!!!!! *HUGS* YAY!!!!! I own all but the seventh book. Or maybe it's the sixth book. But probably the seventh.

message 42: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller *HUGS BACK*

Not very popular books, but they should be. Unfortunately, my library only had 1-3, and borders doesn't have them in stock OR online *sniffles*

message 43: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i've heard of them and i always intended to read them ... i just never got around to it. yet.
*sigh* so many books in the world ...

message 44: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

i have the second young wizards, and its about a wizard-whale . . . so yeah . . . and i have never read blue bloods, but i wanna read peeps lol.and to the topic before that:

This group is active because: There are 10 people who are constantly on it, and they all stay active. The sad part is there is only 10.

message 45: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Cali or Dreamer. ooooo wrote: "I CANNOT BELIEVE HOW ACTIVE THIS GROUP IS!! I mean almost every single topic on the group is like waaay active. I can't catch up again!"

omg i know!! i'm dying!!

message 46: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

veRONIca wrote: "Actually, the wizards thing isn't totally true. I mean, there are so many different types of wizards: ones with wands, ones without wands, ones that studied to become one, ones that it just happene..."

Yeah, some wizard and vampire stories are really different than Rowling's or Meyer's, so you don't even think about the similarities. Like, the Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage- it has wizards, and that's the only similarity between that and Harry Potter. It's COMPLETELY different and original, and I love it!! Also, I just started reading Peeps by Scott Westerfeld, and I don't even think it can be defined as a "vampire book", it's soo different. XD

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

seriously Sella. . . I hardly even post anymore!

message 48: by Seth, The plan is simple--stay alive. (new)

lol, about what you said about Peeps, Sella. Seriously, how can they be vamps if the vamp disease is submitted through an STD, not blood?

message 49: by Paige (new)

Paige Miller lolz

message 50: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments lol

« previous 1 3 4 5