Amazon Kindle discussion

Device Related > Should I upgrade?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections I would love some input on this matter. I am a gadget girl at heart and love having the latest & greatest techno gadget. I am an avid Kindle reader. I favor my Kindle over my Sony eReader. However, should I upgrade my second generation Kindle to the the latest? Is it worth it? Your input is greatly appreciated.

message 2: by Nate (last edited Jul 08, 2011 02:46PM) (new)

Nate  | 41 comments Personally I'd wait because the kindle 4 will be released later this year (2011..you can pre order it now) and there is also talk of an Amazon tablet.

http://www.squidoo.com/kindle4
This link might help answer a few questions. g'luck

message 3: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Thanx 4 the 411! I think I will wait to buy. I'd like 2 c what the latest Kindle has in store for us avid readers & Kindle users.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 11 comments I can't really find anything about preordering, as far as I can tell from that link it's all speculation as of yet, including the release date.

Laurie: I get your desire to have the latest but I do think it's likely the Kindle will be getting a new model soon and you may want to wait for that, I tend to be happier with upgrades 2 models along the line then just one myself, usually the differences between one model and the next aren't really worth the upgrade.

message 5: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Karin wrote: "I can't really find anything about preordering, as far as I can tell from that link it's all speculation as of yet, including the release date.

Laurie: I get your desire to have the latest but I d..."

Valid point. I've noticed the same thing; but, get caught up in the idea of having the latest & greatest. :-D Thanx for your input.

message 6: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments I can't find where you can pre-order the Kindle 4.

message 7: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments I wish that they had the O magazine for the Kindle.

message 8: by Nate (new)

Nate  | 41 comments The link above where it says pre-order your Kindle 4 leads you to this link: http://eclecticat.net/kindle-reader-a...

Which basically says that they are still waiting for the official date, but you can fill out a form to be notified as soon as you can pre order..(kinda false advertising)

message 9: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments Thanks Nate.

message 10: by Nate (new)

Nate  | 41 comments no problem

message 11: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Articles keep talking about two separate devices, the color Kindle and the Amazon Tablet ... I am expecting that there shall be only one ... the Tablet, and that the Kindle will remain a black and white epaper reader.

But I could be completely wrong. I have a long record of misguessing trends.

message 12: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Stormhawk, that is exactly what I think too. We know that Amazon has stated that they are bringing out a tablet and I think that will be their big push. They stand to make more money on the tablet. I think given a choice, some readers would go with whichever is less expensive and I can't see them promoting too new devices at the same time. Someone questioned (maybe on another forum) the idea that Amazon will do away with e-ink. Never. Some people do want a tablet but too many readers love Kindle's e-ink and they know it.

message 13: by Nate (new)

Nate  | 41 comments From what I've read, the Kindle is planning on adding color,as well as touch screen features, as to weather it will be this next model (kindle 4) or later down the road,I'm not quite sure. (they've hinted that it may be this next version though)

The amazon Tablet, is more comparable to the IPad, idk I guess they felt the need to expand and compete in the broader gadget market.

message 14: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I know their tablet is supposed to have color and touch screen so people may be confusing the two.

message 15: by Nate (last edited Jul 09, 2011 09:00AM) (new)

Nate  | 41 comments True but the article I read was specifically talking about the KIndle 4, and those were the features to be added.
I guess time will tell

message 16: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections I've enjoyed reading this discussion. My two cents is this:
Since nook has color and Sony has the touch screen & tablet capabilities in that you can write on the pages w/a stylus, Kindle will come out with a combo of those two w/o much deviation from the current look of the Kindle. I cannot see them competing with the iPad.

message 17: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments @ Laurie I don't see Amazon competing with the iPad neither. I excited about the Kindle 4 don't know if I will get it or not because I just bought the Kindle 3.

Awesomevegan (AKA JenReads) (awesomevegan) | 109 comments I have heard that the technology for color e-ink already exists. I am excited to see if it is incorporated into the Kindle 4. I am still using my Kindle 1 (and a Sony Pocket.) I like the touch screen on the pocket. I wonder if they will have an e-ink touch screen on the K4.

message 19: by Karin (new)

Karin (karinvdb) | 11 comments It would be interesting to see a color eink reader, but I think personally I will hold out a while. I've just bought the K3 six weeks ago and it's my first Kindle though I've kept my eye on it from the K1 on, I'm glad I waited because the K3 is a great device at a really great price. I'm more and more hesitant about being an early adopter because the first of a type of device is usually not the best. I did go for the first Google phone pretty soon after it became available but I got frustrated with it quickly because the specs where just not up to scratch with the demands the system had to handle. I'd rather see a device (or the successor) prove itself and then go for it.

message 20: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (dwyatt1) | 84 comments I agree with you Karin, I just bought the K3 and I love it also.

message 21: by S (new)

S | 23 comments Laurie (Laurielu) wrote: "I would love some input on this matter. I am a gadget girl at heart and love having the latest & greatest techno gadget. I am an avid Kindle reader. I favor my Kindle over my Sony eReader. However,..."

Laurie (Laurielu) wrote: "I would love some input on this matter. I am a gadget girl at heart and love having the latest & greatest techno gadget. I am an avid Kindle reader. I favor my Kindle over my Sony eReader. However,..."

message 22: by S (new)

S | 23 comments The Kindle second and third generation is basically the same. The only difference is that the K3 is lighter and smaller and it holds about 3500 books. I personally would wait to see what they come out with next.

message 23: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections @Shawnte, Thanks! I think I will wait and see what Amazon has up their sleeve for their K4.

message 24: by K. (last edited Jul 15, 2011 12:53PM) (new)

K.  (eowyn1075) | 35 comments Shawnte wrote: "The Kindle second and third generation is basically the same. The only difference is that the K3 is lighter and smaller and it holds about 3500 books. I personally would wait to see what they come ..."

Actually I would say there is a HUGE difference in the reading experience with the K3. I got the K3 and was amazed at what a difference the e-ink pearl made. 50% better contrast doesn't seem like it would be a big deal but I found it so much easier to read than the K2.

I do agree with Shawnte - the new Kindle will be here soon and I'd wait til it's out. Even if you do not decide to get the newest Kindle, by that time there will a lot of other people upgrading and you should be able to pick up a K3 much cheaper!

P.S. The Kindle 3G with Special Offers is $50 off right now, FREE 3G service for the same price as the wi-fi only (non-special offers)... $139

message 25: by Alex (new)

Alex Re: the Kindle 4 - I would much prefer colour e-ink technology than a touch screen. I have the Kindle 3 and I'm very happy with the way it is set up for use without the need for a touch screen. I even find it easy to browse the kindle store. The only feature where a touch screen would be advantageous would be on the internet browser - but when I want instant web browsing I use my phone.

message 26: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Cushman (pwcmd) | 30 comments I am most happy with my Kindle 3 and will probably skip the next edition and maybe even the one after...unless my Kindle 3 dies.

message 27: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections Hmmm... this is becoming quite the conundrum for me. You guys make good arguments for buying now or waiting for K4.

message 28: by Helen (new)

Helen How long have you had kindle2, have you had your money's worth from it?

message 29: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Cushman (pwcmd) | 30 comments I wasn't sure to whom Helen was addressing her question. My partner has had a Kindle2 for a couple of years and I have had my Kindle3 for nearly a year. My partner seldom uses his but I am using it now because he purchased "The Help" and I want to read it. I absolutely love my Kindle3 and have certainly got my money's worth from it. As someone else pointed out, the Kindle2 is very similar to the Kindle3. The 2 that I am using is white and slightly larger than the 3 and I think the turn-page function is slightly harder to press but otherwise very similar.

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen I was asking Laurie, I think trading in for the next model needs serious 'for' arguments. Having said that Kindle 3 is lovely!

message 31: by Laurielu (new)

Laurielu Bona Fide Reflections I have had my Kindle for about a year and a half. I have gotten more than my money's worth out of it. I am an avid reader. I consistently read at least 2 hours a day. Plus, Amazon has made a killing off of all the books I have purchased from them. :-D

message 32: by Helen (new)

Helen Then I guess you buy a 3 and flog 2 on Amazon. Go shop!