Scandinavian Mysteries discussion

Jo Nesbo - The Leopard

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Just started Nesbo's latest and so far (about 25%) it has been really good.

I picked it up in February at the lost luggage store in Alabama for four bucks. Lucky for me some tourist from the UK left it on a plane.

message 2: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 22 comments I really liked The Leopard. It's a wee bit over the top in spots, but it was one of my favorites of the series . Lost luggage store?

message 3: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments I am 50% done now and it is on of my favorites so far.

Unclaimed Baggage Center
http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/

They by all the unclaimed and lost baggage from the airlines and sell it at their store in Alabama. I was on vacation in Atlanta and made a special trip to go see it. Got quite a few books that were not out yet in America.

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments What about The Snowman? Comments

message 5: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments I liked the Snowman, but that one pushed my limits on being over the top. More so than this one.

Which being done now I can say it is one of my favorites. I also got the Snowman at the same store.

Once I get a review up on my blog I am going to give both books away. I will keep you posted when that happens. Both are used paperbacks that are good for reading (but not for long term saving - if you are a collector).

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth8921) | 129 comments Thanks David for the info. Do not know anyone reading The Leopard. Nesbo is featured in every literary article these days in the N. W. along with Erik Larson.
Yes I know Larson is from Seattle but love everything he has written..

Look forward to your blog.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments David wrote: "I liked the Snowman, but that one pushed my limits on being over the top. More so than this one.

Which being done now I can say it is one of my favorites. I also got the Snowman at the same st..."

I agree about the Snowman pushing limits and being over the top. I liked it - it was very scary to read, but I wasn't ultimately satisfied. For example, the killer felt too cliched (and you figured out the killer immediately). But parts were great. I'll try to write a better review later.

message 8: by ern2965 (new)

ern2965 | 3 comments I just ordered The Leopard and The Redeemer from alibris; awaiting delivery. I wish Nesbo's first two were available in English; The Batman and The Cockroaches, I really want to read them!

message 9: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (ludubinski) | 1 comments Discovered Jo Nesbo and have been ordering books for the Library collection here in Hopewell thanks for the introduction to this series. I don't know how I'd missed this Scandinavian author before, but I won't miss any more of the Harry Hole series. Hope all will be translated for the English market soon.

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 03, 2011 09:23AM) (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "What about The Snowman? Comments"

I enjoyed The Snowman as well but feel it was the weakest story in a series that has been pretty stellar....loved The Leopard.

message 11: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Just put up Leopard and Snowman on bookswap.

message 12: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments well that lasted all of 10 seconds - they are gone.

message 13: by Daga (new)

Daga | 11 comments I've started with Nesbo rather late ;) but somehow I have always been focused on the Swedish writers. But I bought two audiobooks for my brother for Christmas and obviously nicked them ;) and so I have listened to Nemesis and The Devil's star. To be honest I didn't get hooked immediately. It was rather a gradual process and more due to the fact that it all happens just next to my door :o so it's funny to hear that somebody actually robbed my boyfriends bank (sic!) or that he lives in the same part of the town as I do heheheehhe - I have recently discovered that there are guided tours in his footsteps, I might have a go at it :p. But anyway, I get frustrated at time with his a bit childish descriptions of most trivial things or that it takes ages before the real culprit is revealed. Well, actually the latter was irritating for the first time, being prepared when listening to the second book it wasn't that bad in the end. Nevertheless, I don't consider them masterpieces of crime story writing, yet very enjoyable plots with nicely portraited characters. I love Beate with this so unreal "disease" ;p
Well, anyway I've checked his official website and there is a bit to catch up with in terms of his books.

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Gerber-Relf | 6 comments Finished The Leopard last week. My first Nesbo book - got it as a sort of Christmas present free download from Amazon on my Kindle. Loved it - my first but not my last Harry Hole story. I read it in German, as I do most of the Scandinavian writers, and have The Snowman somewhere in the hobby room in the cellar, so will definitely be reading that one as well in the near future.

message 15: by David (new)

David Peters | 47 comments Just finished Nesbo's Headhunters - it was okay but I am glad I got it for free :-)

message 16: by Shelley Barnow (new)

Shelley Barnow (ssuths) | 4 comments Jo Nesbo wrote a children's book called "Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder: Who Cut the Cheese?" This is so incongruous! I'll have to read it...

message 17: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 18 comments I finished the Leopard last month. Very happy to see Harry hole back. This book was not as intense as the "Snowman", but I do think "SnowMan" is the best among the Harry Hole series. currently reading Headhunter. quite a different feel and taste then Harry Hole. even the writing style is different, very unlike Nesbo.

message 18: by Anna (new)

Anna | 3 comments What`s your opinion about the ninth volume of Harry Hole?

When I read the end, I couldn´t believe it...

message 19: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Garcia | 2 comments Became enthralled with Scandaniavian mystery after Stieg Larsson. Jo Nesbo is my first after Larsson and I loved it. There is something about the writing that is so physical. You feel the cold, the fear, the pain and the sadness of the characters. I don't know what to compare it to. So tired of glossy and overdone emotional plots. Life isn't that complicated.

message 20: by ???!!! (new)

???!!! | 18 comments Finished Jo Nesbo's Phantom. What can I say? He certainly is one of those brilliant authors that could always delivers while one thinks there's no way he could top this one. Got to read it!

message 21: by Mary (new)

Mary | 4 comments Um, I just finished Phantom too. Don't know what to say. Loved it, mostly. PM me if you want to talk about it.