Creative Reviews discussion

Looking to Review > Picky reader looking for YA

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments okay, I need a break from some of the heavy stuff i'm reading, so I thought I'd offer to read/review something lighter.

I am looking for YA that is NOT fantasy. Realistic YA, either contemporary or historical. Please make sure it's appropriate for YA, as I share w/ my teenage sister. No incest please (you'd be surprised).

I post reviews on GR, and if you want, on any other sites you'd like it posted on. If I like it, I'll talk it up all over goodreads (just ask Dale Ibitz--I've been posting about Fire in the Blood by Dale Ibitz EVERYWHERE.

message 2: by Dale (new)

Dale Ibitz (goodreadscomdale_ibitz) | 298 comments Thanks Lena! I have a mid-grade, but not sure if that's something you're interested in, probably a little too young. About a 12 year old racecar driver who has to face his fears.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Lena, I have two possibilities that might interest you.

The first has been published by Club Lighthouse as an ebook. It is called "Seeds of Anger". It is placed in modern day rural central Florida and tells the story of a high school junior mentored by a renegade botanist whose research for life-saving medications involves stolen plant materials. The boy and his friends are confronted with a moral dilemma that puts their own lives in danger.

The second book is due to be published "any day now" and has been for a long time. "Heron Baby Island" is also placed in central Florida. It is about a high school nature photographer who builds a wild bird rookery in a retention pond to impress his new girlfriend.

If either of those interest you, I will be happy to send you the pdf versions complete with all the photographs that illustrate them. The photographs are mostly of birds and flowers and were collected in central Florida.

Bob

message 4: by Cambria (new)

Cambria (cambria409) | 3305 comments Dale wrote: "Thanks Lena! I have a mid-grade, but not sure if that's something you're interested in, probably a little too young. About a 12 year old racecar driver who has to face his fears."

Are you looking for reviews on this book Dale? I would be interested!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Rogers (AlexIRogers) | 16 comments Hey Lena,
Is this up your alley?
I'm Only Human After All I'm Only Human After All by Alex Rogers

It's the first in a series of memoirs based off of things I been through in my life growing up. The main focus of it is the re-telling of my experiences of being a victim of bullying in my early teen years.

Back cover description:What do you do if you find yourself suddenly, and without provocation, the target of high school aggression, relentless insults, and painful isolation? Such is the dilemma of teenager Alex Rogers, the main character in I’m Only Human After All, the thought-provoking, absorbing novel inspired by the real-life trials of the author by the same name. In this penetrating story, Rogers draws from his personal experiences to offer invaluable insight to students, teachers, and parents everywhere on today’s increasingly common, and highly damaging, instances of bullying and cyber-bullying. The novel’s poignant, reflective first-person narrative details all that bullied young adults confront, casting crucial new light on this timely topic to enable individuals to cope with this pervasive problem. I’m Only Human After All also represents the debut work of fiction in the ongoing "Empowerment" series based on the author’s life that surrounds topics relevant today.

I'll be happy to provide you with a physical copy or ebook/pdf if you are interested.

Have a nice day! =)

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Deb wrote: "Hi Lena,
Maybe you'd be interested in my book - a teen drama, Changing My Wardrobe.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11...
I would be happy to provide you with a copy in a..."

I saw your book on another post and thought it looked interesting! I can read either paperback or ebook, but i'm a little backed up on my ereader right now, so if you want a review soon, send me a message and I'll send you my address. If you dont mind waiting a month (or two:), just send me a Smashwords coupon.
thanks & I look forward to reading your book!
Lena

message 7: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Alex wrote: "Hey Lena,
Is this up your alley?
I'm Only Human After AllI'm Only Human After All by Alex Rogers

It's the first in a series of memoirs based off of things I been through in m..."

It sounds interesting. See above post for time frame on my reviews. I can take ebooks or paper books, but I'm much slower at getting to ebooks. Send me a message letting me know which is better for you!
Thanks!

Lena

message 8: by David (new)

David Santos (authordas) are you saying you dont want realistic YA?

message 9: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Sarah Dessen is a good light read her and Jennifer Echols I read when i just want something that is light and will make me smile. Hmm what else...

message 10: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Ottilie wrote: "Sarah Dessen is a good light read her and Jennifer Echols I read when i just want something that is light and will make me smile. Hmm what else..."

I love Jennifer Echols books, in fact I think you should give Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols Love Story by Jennifer Echols a try. Maybe try Simone Elkeles books as well?

message 11: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments I liked Forget You by Jennifer Echols better then going too far

message 12: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Ottilie wrote: "I liked Forget You by Jennifer Echols better then going too far"

I haven't read that one! If you say so...I'll try them too!

message 13: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments haha Doug is swoon worthy and funny, loved the relationship between him and his brother!

message 14: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments I'm up to any Jennifer Echols books really, she is one of my favourite author.

message 15: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Same, I'm so happy she's becoming a full time authors and is working on other books :)

message 16: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Oh? She was not a full time author before? I didn't know that, haha.
Have you read all her books?

message 17: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha yeah she apparently quit her job 2(?) months ago? I felt awful saying I was excited for that... Um I read 4 of her books I still havent' read the Endless Summer or Ex Games, but I read Forget you, Major Crush, Going too Far and Love Story love them all!!

message 18: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Me too! Though I only read Love Story and Going too far, and I always thought she was a full time author:P I like the way she make sense, and all her books are not that cheesy, it carries a certain depth to it:)

message 19: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments I think she was a copy editior? Don't hold me to that! Excatly! The characters are realstic, has flaws, can be stupid, but can think for themselves. I adore the relationships she comes up with!

message 20: by Lena (new)

Lena | 191 comments Ottilie wrote: "Sarah Dessen is a good light read her and Jennifer Echols I read when i just want something that is light and will make me smile. Hmm what else..."

Lol, I'm a bit of a book snob, I guess...No thanks on Sarah Dessen. If Jennifer Echols is a good writer, I might check her stuff out. I can't read badly written books, even if the story is good.

@David--I mostly read realistic YA. Fantasy YA is too predictable nowadays.

thanks to the authors who sent me their books!

message 21: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Haha! It's okay, I added her on FB I think, at least I hope it's the real one!
That is the reason why I love her so much, she produces great stories and in the end it always made me reflect on life. Take Going too far for instance. When I read that book I only thought of one word : redemption. Haha, I don't know why I was thinking that though.

By the way, thank you for the friend add! I see you wrote a few books yourself!

message 22: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Hahaha no problem Lena, you'll like Echols if you are into spunky characters! She's pretty witty.

haha yeah I have her on fB too and twitter, she's kind of amusing on there at times too. Nah I can understand that, redemption is a good word. Haha no problem! Yeah I did, my friend is currently reading hopefully number 3! Xcrossing fingersX

message 23: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Ottilie wrote: "Hahaha no problem Lena, you'll like Echols if you are into spunky characters! She's pretty witty.

haha yeah I have her on fB too and twitter, she's kind of amusing on there at times too. Nah I..."

Thank God I have the right one then. XD
I'll give you all the luck! I'm sure it would be great:)

message 24: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments haha I never know on facebook either! Hehe thank you! :)

message 25: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments You're welcome!:)

I think I'm gonna start Forget you soon, hehe, it's influencing me.

message 26: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Hehe go for it! It's cute and fun!

message 27: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Yeah I will! After I read I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder , XD

message 28: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Never heard of that I'll check that out! I'm currently reading Severance by Shawn Kirsten Maravel

message 29: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Ottilie wrote: "Never heard of that I'll check that out! I'm currently reading Severance by Shawn Kirsten Maravel"

o_O? I never heard of it as well, is it good?

message 30: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha it's the second book in a series by an Indie author I am friends with. I haven't really had time to read much, but so far, the book is good!

message 31: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Oh cool! I think I'll have a look at that too:)

message 32: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments You should, The first left at a point I was fusterated I didn't have the second on hand.

message 33: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments I saw the blurb! It was very interesting, it totally had my interest! Haha.

message 34: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments It is really interesting! It was funny I was reading the first one in public and was literally laughing to myself it was kind of bad, but in a good way.

message 35: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Haha! I always do that and my friend would be giving me the weird eye. Is the first and second book already out in the stores?

message 36: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments haha it's great when that happens though! Um both are out because I own both, but since they are indie I'm not sure if they are in stores physically? But both are out in online stores, she has another book coming out in October or was it November that I am looking forward to.

message 37: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Oh>< I don't know much about publishing though, so if it's indie it doesn't really get out in the stores??

message 38: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha no problem, I'm still figuring it out as I go along. Indie publishing means it doesn't necessarly mean it'll be in stores, that the author did not go with the more known route of with an agent and traditional publish house. There is a little more work on the author with marketing, cover, editing, those sort of details.

message 39: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments I hope that makes sense!

message 40: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments It does! Thanks for explaining it all to me! I only know how to read but not so much on the story behind the book, what a reader! XD I do hope that I could see it in the stores though:D

message 41: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Like I said I'm learning as I go, a lot of that I learned through the amazing people I met through Goodreads and my own experiences. i don't know what Shawn's plans are for that. You could probably ask her, she's extermely nice and likes hearing from readers as well :)

message 42: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments Oh I will! Thank you for the info! I am always full with questions about the most basic stuff that I'm embarassed to ask, haha!

message 43: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments Haha don't be! I like to talk and my curisoity is all over the place, don't ever be afraid to ask questions! Keep the questions rolling and the curiosity open because that's how you learn in life and live!

message 44: by Natshane (new)

Natshane | 85 comments That is true, I think that should be my new motto, :D

I gtg for now, I hope to talk to you soon! I'm going to go read some of Jennifer Echols, :D

message 45: by Ottilie (new)

Ottilie (ottilie_weber) | 474 comments It's a great motto! Talk to you later and enjoy! :)

message 46: by Fran (new)

Fran Veal (franveal) | 6 comments Lena, my book, Finding My Escape may not be what you are looking for because there is a fantasy (alternative universe) aspect to it. The story begins when the protagonist walks in on the double homicide of her parents. It explores the concepts of death and grief, family, friendship, and yes, romance. It is VERY clean (I have a 13 year old who has read it). If this sounds like something you may be interested in, shoot me an email. If not, well that's okay, too. :)

message 47: by Sarah (last edited Sep 09, 2011 09:07AM) (new)

Sarah Yoffa (webbiegrrlwriter) | 501 comments Hi Lena,

Not sure if you're still looking for new reads or light-hearted reads but 2 of this week's FREEBIE FRIDAY reads might be just the ticket to break your chain of heavy reads.

Check out this week's 3 FREE READS at my Webbiegrrl's Freebie Friday for Sep 9

One is a YA SciFi fantasy, which I think is way more SciFi and fantasy than YA or juvenile.

The second one is a coming of age story and might be a feel-good slice of Americana that's outside your usual fare.

The third one is what I thought might interest you the most. It's a light-hearted contemporary fantasy about a man and a woman whose thoughts get tangled up in each other's heads. Sounds like a chicklit comedy fantasy mashup, doesn't it? :)

All 3 books are series starters with at least one more in the series already available. Coupon codes on my blog are guaranteed valid for today (Sep 9) but the one for Entangled is valid through Monday.

Don't forget to leave the authors a note or tweet them a thanks for the freebie read (they are @AmosTFairchild @FredBubbers @DCSargentBooks) I need to start adding that to the blog posts I think :)

Oh yeah, these are all available via Smashwords so you'll have your choice of formats, including Kindle, Nook, PDF in most cases.