ROBUST discussion

Rants: OT & OTT > HarperCollins slaps 26 loan limit on library ebooks; librarians protest

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (andrejute) | 4851 comments Mod
From Margie's and my Iditarod friend Rochelle Tullis:

"Librarian Andy Woodworth's petition, which he started in April on the website Change.org, is his formal protest against a HarperCollins policy that requires libraries to repurchase e-books after 26 checkouts."

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/local...

message 2: by Claudine (new)

Claudine | 1110 comments Mod
That in a word is FUBAR.

message 3: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments I'm wondering why HarperCollins is doing that. Could it be something contract-related? Unlike a library's physical books, they don't buy a digital book; they license it. Maybe there's a contractual limitation with the authors re how many devices the book can land on. Many books on Amazon have license limitations -- 6 devices, I think -- but if you remove a device (deregister it), your license remains intact (i.e. you can add a new device and upload the book again from your archives). Since the library patrons aren't likely to deregister their devices every time they return a book, I can see how that might present a problem if device limitations are part of the contract.

message 4: by Andre Jute (new)

Seems to me this is a case for Occam's Razor to slice the Gordian Knot and Other Mixed Metaphors.

HarperCollins probably just calculated that a paper book would wear out in 26 library loans, after which the library would buy a new copy. Clearly they can't let electronic books be lent out forever for one purchase.

message 5: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments It's starting to look like the owner is going to need the money for legal fees. LOL

message 6: by Andre Jute (new)

Rupert's been there before. The tenth time survival becomes easier. My money is on the old nutcutter.

message 7: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I hope they get him out of Fox News. He's got half this country brainwashed - the damn GOP is going make us default and send the entire world into a second Depression. Like times don't suck enough already.

Well, no one lives forever. Let's hope the stress rids the world of his evil.

message 8: by Andre Jute (new)

Now, d'y'see, this illustrates what I said yesterday or the day before about someone always telling me. Though I once worked for Murdoch, and for years was one of his writers at various publishing houses, this is the first I hear of the phonetapping. Ten minutes with Google, and I know as much about it as necessary. I haven't wasted months of time reading about it and getting needlessly angry and speculating.

message 9: by K.A. (last edited Jul 25, 2011 04:42AM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I get a newsfeed (RSS or Feedburner) that sends me emails of the top stories. That way I'm up to speed on the things that interest me.

I haz News cred. ;p

message 10: by Andre Jute (new)

Kat wrote: "I haz News cred. ;p"

Not if you go around calling Murdoch, the boss of News Corp, a psycho!

message 11: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments The latest on Murdoch's empire: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2... Kinda matches their hacking of 9/11 victims/survivors' phones, so could be true.

message 12: by Andre Jute (last edited Jul 25, 2011 02:02PM) (new)

Patricia wrote: "The latest on Murdoch's empire: http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheats/2... Kinda matches their hacking of 9/11 victims/survivors' phones, so could be t..."

Oh, sheet, don't you know any better, Sierra? That part of the feeding frenzy is personal spite. Tina Brown, the editor of "thedailybeast", is married to Harold Evans, who was fired as editor of the Sunday Times by Rupert Murdoch. Geez, how much more naive can you get than to believe anything said by her about Murdoch?

EDITED to get the Madame Defarge's name right.

message 13: by K.A. (last edited Jul 25, 2011 12:44PM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments I don't know who married whom, or who was divorced by whom. I haven't read the 'Daily Beast' because they are too biased.

Murdock IS Fox News. No petty spite in that. All I have to do is watch some of 'Faux Spews' to know that Murdock is using his media empire to undermine the world ecconomy via political propoganda.

Fox News is full of innacurate information - and outright lies - on every subject from climate change to politics. He's pushed the tea party and the 'birthers' - the lunatic fringe of the GOP - into power.

I haz News Cred.

PS - the Daily Beast link was provided by Patricia.

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments (Whispering: That's the second time he mixed us up. I keep telling him I'm the gorgeous one and then he calls me Kat...what do you suppose that means?)

message 15: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments That Daily Beast link was pimping a Guardian story.

message 16: by Andre Jute (last edited Jul 25, 2011 02:50PM) (new)

Kat wrote: "PS - the Daily Beast link was provided by Patricia."

By far not the worst thing that can happen to a nice Irish lass, to be mistaken for Sierra.

Er-- that is, until the arresting officer reads the Miranda warning off the laminated card. "You are not obliged to say anything, Patricia Sierra, but anything you do say may be used in evidence against you. Etc."

message 17: by Andre Jute (new)

Patricia wrote: "(Whispering: That's the second time he mixed us up. I keep telling him I'm the gorgeous one and then he calls me Kat...what do you suppose that means?)"

Heh-heh. And here I was writing about OBSESSION about the same time...

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (patriciasierra) | 2388 comments LOL LOL LOL

message 19: by K.A. (last edited Jul 26, 2011 04:44AM) (new)

K.A. Jordan (kajordan) | 3042 comments Patricia wrote: "(Whispering: That's the second time he mixed us up. I keep telling him I'm the gorgeous one and then he calls me Kat...what do you suppose that means?)"

That we are equally intelligent and gorgeous? He's blinded by our brilliance? That he's just blind?

LOL