Reader's Ink discussion

Skippy Dies > So, How Do We Like Skippy So Far?

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Where is everybody on the Skippy spectrum? Are we enjoying it so far?

I, for one, am IN LOVE with Murray's writing style and tone. It's just deadpan witty. And poor Skippy is just breaking my heart!

message 2: by Julie (new)

Julie | 168 comments Just finished Skippy yesterday! I also love his tone- he even did a great job getting inside a teenage girl's head later in the book. I have to admit I was sad that the book had to end- the characters were very compelling and I just couldn't wait to see what happened next.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments I JUST GOT STARTED ON IT. I'VE BEEN CANNING JAM, MARINARA, SMOKY CORN SALSA, BRANDIED PEACHES, ETC. UNCLE BRENT FINALLY MOVED THE LAST OF THE STUFF OUT OF THE HOUSE IN GLENDALE, AND WE ARE FINALLY HERE AT THE RANCH. I'LL READ TODAY AND POST WHAT I THINK.

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Just got it this weekend, barely getting started. Hope to knock it off as quick as I can, but have two sets of company coming in July. Bad timing....all around.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments NOT LIKING THIS BOOK SO FAR. I CAN'T SEEM TO GET INTO IT. MAYBE I SPENT TOO LONG IN HIGH SCHOOL...

message 6: by Carol (new)

Cheryl, I thought I was the only one. Glad you said something.... I'm on about page 70 or so, and it's just not grabbing me either. Maybe it took so long to get here, I lost something in the anticipation....
I'll keep plugging and see if something grabs me more as I progress in the book.

message 7: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments about 25% done so far and really liking it...I love the tone and dark humor. His character descriptions are pretty on point. I do love the dark sarcastic authors though.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments I'M REALLY STRUGGLING WITH THIS BOOK. I DON'T PARTICULARLY LIKE ANY OF THE CHARACTERS. IT REMINDS ME OF ANOTHER BOYS ' SCHOOL BOOK THAT STARS A BOY NAMED PHINEAS WHO BEFRIENDS ANOTHER BOY TO BOOST THAT BOY'S SELF ESTEEM AND PHINEAS DIES IN THE END. FOR THE LIFE OF ME I CAN'T REMEMBER THE TITLE. ANYONE KNOW?

message 9: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Isn't that A Separate Peace? I remember reading that in high school.

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Opp | 13 comments I'm only on page 31, and I had to start the book over again after leaving it for a week. I fell asleep after starting it for the second time, so either it's just not grabbing me to get into it, or I have the attention span of a gnat.

message 11: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments It's been slow going for me. Im on page 97. I like it, but haven't wanted to pick it up and read it lately. Maybe that's because I've been too sick to think for the last week and a half though. :) on my way back to normal though, so I think I'll finish it fairly quickly,

message 12: by Ashley (new)

I'm now 70% through it (don't you love how Kindle gives you the EXACT percentage?), and I'm still really enjoying it. Like I said, I love Murray's writing style and tone. I think he's brilliant.

message 13: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments LAUREN! THAT'S IT! IT'S ALL COMING BACK TO ME! ON THE FIELDS OF DEVON! OMG! I LOVE THE MEMORY BANKS OF YOUTH! I LIKED A SEPARATE PEACE, BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO GET INTO THIS BOOK FOR THE 3RD TIME. NANCY, I AGREE WITH YOU ONCE AGAIN, AND THAT'S PRETTY SCARY!

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Yeah I am about halfway at this point and am still liking it...LIke Ashley I really like the writing style and tone...quirky.

message 15: by Carol (new)

I'm on about page 125 (kindle 19%) and it has improved slightly, but not like I hoped. I'm having some difficulties with the kids and the drugs/sexual inuendos. I'm enjoying (I think) the interactions with Skippy, his roommate and professors. I like Halley so far. The jury is still out. I figure the next 100 pages will give me a good idea if I'll like it or not.

message 16: by Carol (last edited Jul 19, 2011 08:06PM) (new)

No reflection on any of us specifically, but it seems that the group of us who are a little older are having more difficulties than the younger bunch. Generation gap????

message 17: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments maybe us young ones have a twisted dark sense of humor??? ( at least I know I do at times)

message 18: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Question for those currently reading Skippy: The deeper I get into this book, I find I'm increasingly torn between two competing feelings about it (I'm not quite halfway finished). On the one hand, the better I get to know this odd assortment of characters, I'm increasingly drawn into their stories. On the more cynical side, I can't escape my increasing annoyance with one more story about spoiled rich kids and their manufactured problems that's trying to be something deep and meaningful.

Am I the only heartless one here, or is anyone else caught between this duality?

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments YUP! THAT'S WHY I RETURNED THE BOOK TO THE LIBRARY UNFINISHED. THE ENTITLEMENT WAS JUST TOO MUCH FOR ME...

message 20: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I'm about halfway as well, and I get what you're saying. Right now, Ruprecht is getting to me the most. At first I was kind of intrigued by him. Now I'm flat out annoyed at him! I wish he had some dialogue other than repeating back Professor Tamashi's theories. I would seriously run if I ever saw this guy at a party.

message 21: by Carol (new)

You gals are farther along than I am. I just finished the part where they had the Halloween party, and they are trying to blame it on Skippy. It got a little more interesting for awhile, just can't stand the juvenile drugs and sex, complete turn off for me. Was kind of happy Skippy got lucky I guess....and not at the school during the whooha. But don't know yet what the result is...

message 22: by Ashley (new)

Huh. I didn’t get entitled wealthy, entitled schoolboys at all. Maybe I missed that? I got the sense that this was more of a second- or third-tier private school (perhaps subsidized by the Catholic church, like private Catholic schools in DC—which makes them VERY affordable.) And didn’t Howard or somebody mention tuition clocking in at $10,000 euros? Heck, that’s less than half of what I pay for my kid’s daycare tuition! And we’re just average folk. Sure, there’s a bit of an old boys’ network among the alumni and dads, but nothing particularly high-powered that I can recall. In short, I don’t buy the rich kid entitlement thing. I think it’s just a TEEN entitlement and self-absorption thing, and even that’s stretching it a bit. Skippy’s mum is dying. Is his pain less real because his folks cough up 10 grand annually? Ruprecht is lovably annoying. Totally self-absorbed, in that fat nerd sort of way. He got more interesting in the last 1/3 of the book. Don’t judge him too harshly yet! Carl is the despicable character, and yes he has problems, but I don’t think Murray is getting him off the hook because of his parents. He’s a villain, easy.

Are Julie, Meghan, and I the only ones who like this book? That will make for some lively discussion next week!

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments I think we might be....and I have to agree with Ashley I don't get the entitlement thing at all...I do get the teenager self absorbed invicible thing...I am still only halfway done ( been a busy month) so I have a lot of reading to do this week, but I think a lot of what is being written is typical teenage behavior in a way ( although I do work for a probation dept and work with juvenile delingquents all day-so i am jaded).
I am excited for some disscussion since there seems to be quite a divide on this one.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I finished the book this weekend (apparently, feeling under the weather is good for something), so I'm going to stay quiet except to say that you can't look at tuition as an indicator of prestige. While there are some exceptions, education costs tend to be lower in the EU (sometimes significantly so), even factoring in the differing strengths of the euro and dollar. Ireland's a great example of this, and, given Ireland's history - and its weak economy until the very end of the twentieth century - it's not always easy to compare Ireland and the States, despite their many similarities. For that matter, Paul Murray attended a school that I believe is considered one of the best schools in Ireland, and it's said he based Seabrook off of his alma mater.

Also, for those who don't know me well, I should probably mention that I completed both my senior thesis in college and an independent project in law school on Ireland (with some comparison to the States thrown in for good measure). I'm nowhere close to being expert on the subject; I simply like using the few things I do know about the country to sound like I'm a know it all.

message 25: by Carol (last edited Jul 26, 2011 07:09AM) (new)

Lauren, have you had a chance to go to Ireland? I went with a friend of mine about 5 years ago, and that was one of the most rewarding trips of my life. We had opportunities to visit places to learn about their culture and history. We toured all through Dublin, Waterford and all the surrounding Counties in that area of the country. Would have liked to have toured in the Ulster area, but the people we toured with thought we've be safer a little more South. I love Ireland, and have read a ton of fiction books about it, and a few non-fiction. Are you published????

message 26: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I have been to Ireland - I spent part of a summer traveling around the British Isles by myself a few years back (in between the writing in the two papers). At the time, my academic interest focused on the Troubles and the history that preceded them, so I spent my time in Dublin searching out places I'd read about. And nowhere close to published - at the end of the day, while I'm proud of both efforts, they're little more than academic vanity projects.

message 27: by Carol (new)

Just hit the half way point on Skippy. Honestly I didn't think I'd make it this far, was glad to get past the drugs, sex, wheeling and dealing. Not to say there won't be more, but I'll at least have some input for the first half. Maybe over the weekend I can knock some more off.

message 28: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments there is definetly more of that....its a central theme of the plot line in some ways. Good luck over the weekend...I still have a bit to go but am sure I will have it done by monday.

message 29: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments I have just over 100 pages left of Skippy. I'm determined to finish this weekend!

Parts have gone extremely quickly, and some painfully slow. This is one of the slow times....will it pick up again in the end?

message 30: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 115 comments Just finished it ....and it does pick up in the end...this was a hard read, not because I didn't like it, but because the plot was so disturbing, and sad.

message 31: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I'm with Meghan: keep reading. This is one of those books where you have to get to the last page for everything to make sense.

As I told Meghan earlier this week, I sort of hate her because of how much this book disturbed me (but it's completely worth it!).

message 32: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments On Pg 616. Will definitely finish it- haven't come this far not too!

message 33: by Ashley (new)

I admire your determination, ladies! I'm so very excited for discussion to begin Monday. It will make Monday less . . . Monday-ish.

Also, I just finished the first chapter of A Dog's Purpose. Oh, I'm gonna like that book, methinks .....

message 34: by Carol (new)

I'm 59% done (Kindle). Been gone most of the day, have read 30 or so pages since I got home. Watching a good TV program too. Ahh, decisions, decisions... I probably won't get quite done, but I'll be closer, and should finish after Monday's pow-wow. The plot is sad, even where I am. I'm at a bit of a lull right now, but can foresee problems coming that aren't going to be good.