A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Possible endings of the story

Comments Showing 1-50 of 122 (122 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments I think I said mine in another topic, but here goes
I have a feeling somehow the end will blow us all away, sort of like "I woke up and it was all a dream ending", but not that, just equal to the capacity of that punch to the face.

message 2: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments At least GRRM did say he wouldn't "pull a Lost."

message 3: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 27 comments Well, I don't know about possible endings, but considering that:

a) GRRM has mentioned several times that he's been influenced by the Hundred Years War;
and b)King Robert Baratheon died "only" some 2-3 years ago(SoIaF Time),

I'd daresay that we still have a lot of war ahead of us, and a lots of twists too.

Maybe the ones that will see the end of it will be the descendants of Daenarys, Rickon, Gentry, Asha Greyjoy, and so on.

message 4: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Tacuazin wrote: "Well, I don't know about possible endings, but considering that:

a) GRRM has mentioned several times that he's been influenced by the Hundred Years War;
and b)King Robert Baratheon d..."

So you think he might jump into the future at one point? Coz until now we saw those 2-3 years or so and that was described in the 4 books so far, I am guessing 5th one as well. And there are 2 more to come out. I don't think he can, in 2 books, go through 20 years of events, can he? I really don't think a lot of them will make it.
I would love to see what happens to Arya when she grows up...

message 5: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments He's also said that he was influenced by the War of the Roses. so possibly after the dust clears, a new claimant rises and takes his (or her) crown off the battlefield.

message 6: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 27 comments Ages ago I read somewhere that, initially, when the SoIaF was going to be 5 books and not 7, the last book would take place 5 years after the events in the previous 4.

A 20 year leap? I wouldn't put past Mr. Martin to play so cruelly with our little hearts ;-)

The War of the Roses lasted only 30 years. That's an improvement!

message 7: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Maybe by the time he gets to the 7th book, he will announce 2 more. Maybe this is never ending story... No ending... Just left hanging in the air... Now, that would be cruel!

message 8: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 27 comments Oh, no, 2 more books no, please!!!

message 9: by Lani (new)

Lani (lanisison) | 6 comments Logic points to Daenerys being the ruler of Westeros, but I can't really imagine that happening, maybe because I'm not a fan of the character. Hopefully the next books come sooner than later.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments The next book is coming out July 12 of this year. So hopefully, 4 more days.

message 11: by Karly (new)

Karly Lani wrote: "Logic points to Daenerys being the ruler of Westeros, but I can't really imagine that happening, maybe because I'm not a fan of the character. Hopefully the next books come sooner than later."

I'm SO not a fan of Daenerys either...can't put my finger on why, but I really just don't care what happens to her out of everyone. I'm only on Storm of Swords, though, so things will probably change between now and book 7.

message 12: by Tacuazin (new)

Tacuazin | 27 comments I guess Daenerys is the rightful heiress to the Iron Throne, but somehow I don't see GRRM abiding by the rules of succession...
I do picture her riding one of her scaly friends over King's Landing, though, spreading chaos and fire. And I hope it will be in a Dance with Dragons!

message 13: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments Anyone think that GRRM will have a time gap between books? I know he tried doing that back when he was first writing ADWD before the ADWD/AFFC split and he said he didn't like it because he had to rely on flashbacks too much.

We've heard that ADWD is going to cover the time of AFFC and go beyond so it could wrap up some plot lines and get them to a point where a time gap is possible with minimal flashbacks.

It would give all the young ones (wolves, dragons and lions) time to grow. Bran could train his warging, Dany could train her dragons, Arya could train being no one, Littlefinger could train Sansa in the game (and creep on her even more), Tommen would mature, as would Rickon, Stannis would fortify his position in the north, etc.

He only has two more books for the series, assuming he doesn't add more (ASoIaF was originally going to be a trilogy after all)...

message 14: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments I feel like there is going to have to be a gap of some kind. Everyone and every creature is just too young to really do anything yet.

message 15: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Aly wrote: "I feel like there is going to have to be a gap of some kind. Everyone and every creature is just too young to really do anything yet."

That is what I was thinking. Since je is killing of all the "older" characters and in the end we have the youngsters left. It would be logical to make a jump of some sort, so we can see what eventually happens to them.

message 16: by Clark (new)

Clark Coston (tesko) | 44 comments Maja wrote: "Since je is killing of all the "older" characters and in the end we have the youngsters left."

That's exactly what I've been thinking as I've been rereading the series in preparation for ADWD. If he isn't killing them off, he is at least marginalizing them or taking them out of the game (like a certain imprisoned player at the end of AFFC).

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments The younger characters aren't that young anymore. By book 4, Bran is around 10-11 years old. Sansa is 14, plenty old enough. Arya is around 12, also plenty old enough. Rickon should be about 7, the same age Bran was when GOT started. Tommen should be around 11-12 as well. So they are maturing.

message 18: by Miss Kate (new)

Miss Kate (misskatesays) | 46 comments From what I've read, originally GRRM wanted to jump ahead 5 years between books. He said that he realized that he'd made his younger characters TOO young, and if he had to do it over again, he would have made them older at the onset. But with what he calls his "Meeranese Knot" (his term for working out a certain plot point for the series), AND splitting books 4 & 5, I think he's abandoned that plan. But I could be wrong...

message 19: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I mean, when you are writing a series of 7 books, it is not going to happen overnight and I am sure the plans and plots and ideas change all the time. I guess we will just have to wait and see. :) 2 more days! :)

message 20: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I meant, 2 more days and then we get to see what happens next, but not how it all ends... I wonder who will be right in the end.
JON ALL THE WAY!!! ;)

message 21: by Lina (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Everybody dies and then the word of Tywin Lannister will ring more true. After you die, and all is left of you is a tomb, only the name lives.

message 22: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Lina wrote: "Everybody dies and then the word of Tywin Lannister will ring more true. After you die, and all is left of you is a tomb, only the name lives."

Now that would be a really depressing ending...

message 23: by Arby (new)

Arby (xblackheart7x) | 68 comments Maja wrote: JON ALL THE WAY!!! ;)"

YES!

message 24: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "The younger characters aren't that young anymore. By book 4, Bran is around 10-11 years old. Sansa is 14, plenty old enough. Arya is around 12, also plenty old enough. Rickon should be about 7, the..."

Plenty old for what?? Even GRRM has admitted they are too young. And the dragons need to mature for awhile before they can have riders.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments Plenty old enough for taking responsibility for their actions, especially Sansa.

message 26: by Aly (new)

Aly (Alygator) | 113 comments Yes, for taking responsibility for their actions but not for taking responsibility of the kingdom. A six year old is old enough to take responsibility of their actions, but that doesn't mean that they are grown up and ready to take the reigns. Rickon is obviously not well disciplined. While Sansa may be the oldest of the girls, I still don't feel that she is very well matured.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments No I don't think she is either. I think Arya is more mature than her. It just seems people/fans are underestimating the younger characters. Chances are those are the ones who are going to survive the game. Most if not all of the major players will be out and then their will either be a winner or the next generation will take up the fight. It has been stated already GRR Martin made them too young. I am not counting anyone out.

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra *Book Four Spoilers*
----
----

I personally don't see much of a future for Arya. I think right now she's entirely a pawn of the Faceless Men, and to do anything to "win" she needs to act on her own. I don't know what the motivations of the Faceless Men are, but I predict she'll end up on the opposite side of the remainder of her family. I'm not really an Arya fan, so I would actually be pleased if her blindness was actually oncoming death. I guess I'll just have to be disappointed since if Arya died we'd all know about it already.

It seems to me that Sansa is in more of a position to actually accomplish something, but not in the 5th book because she's not a POV character. I don't think the younger and more beautiful queen is Sansa. I think right now any female character in the entire series who's reasonably pretty is just as likely as the next. On the theme of not underestimating younger characters, maybe Myrcella.

message 29: by Mach (last edited Jul 11, 2011 10:34AM) (new)

Mach | 198 comments I disagree, Arya is not a pawn of the Faceless Men she is a student, for her to become one of them and learn all the tricks of the trade she has to give up her former life and personality. But i am pretty sure she will learn everything they can teach her and still hold on to who she is through her connection with her wolf. She also hid Needle wich i think is very important, when she is fully trained and finds her sword again the memory's will come back. That's what i think anyway.

message 30: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Lani wrote: "Logic points to Daenerys being the ruler of Westeros, but I can't really imagine that happening, maybe because I'm not a fan of the character. Hopefully the next books come sooner than later."

Greetings, fellow ASOIAF fans!

I think the speculation's a great idea for a thread. Thank you.:)

Personally, Daenerys is my absolute favorite character, and I hope (perhaps even believe) that she and her dragons will take Westeros, and the entire Seven Kingdoms.

message 31: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Machavelli wrote: "I disagree, Arya is not a pawn of the Faceless Men she is a student, for her to become one of them and learn all the tricks of the trade she has to give up her former life and personality. But i am..."

I thought about some more, and I changed my mind to agree with you. Even though he's killed of significant characters before, considering how much work the author has put into the character he's likely to use her in a significant way. I just don't like it.

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen Azinger | 256 comments I agree that Sansa is not very mature and I don't really like her very much, but that could change. I hope she develops more of a will of her own and turns the tables on Littelfinger, using the user.

message 33: by Lina (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:02PM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Maja wrote: "Lina wrote: "Everybody dies and then the word of Tywin Lannister will ring more true. After you die, and all is left of you is a tomb, only the name lives."

Now that would be a really depressing..."

I don't mean it in the depressing sense that Everyone we care about will die. I meant that all those who are main players of the Game of Thrones will not be around to see what came of their "moves". So it will be those generations that come after those in the game today that will keep the family names going. Perhaps it is an ending with no ending.

message 34: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments I am sure it will be ending with no ending, because it is impossible for him to actually write down the whole history of Westeros (unless the meteor hits the Earth and ends it all. lol :)...
Maybe at the end we will at least have the peace!

message 35: by Lina (last edited Jul 11, 2011 07:30PM) (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Maja wrote: "Maybe at the end we will at least have the peace!"

Amen to that. and I hope Winterfell comes back to the Starks with all its glory and ancient gods wood :)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I think Arya is too significant of a character to fall by the wayside. Sansa was brought up to be a princess. I don't see Sansa as a rebellious type where she would go out on her own.

message 37: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments I teresting

message 38: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments Sansa has changed a lot though!

message 39: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments George will be answering questions on a live streamed interview. He will be answering online questions, you can submitt questions on the link in this page.
http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2011/0...

message 40: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Tom wrote: "Sansa has changed a lot though!"

how?

message 41: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) I've been stalking Westeros.org forums for quite sometime now which lead me to have the following speculations/theories

1. Aegon must have survived the massacre at the red keep; he was believed to fulfill the prophecy. that he is the prince who was promised.

2. Danaerys is one of the heads of the dragon in the prophecy

3. Jon Snow's lineage revelation will be crucial and will be a defining moment. (i really think that jon is rhaegar and lyanna's child and therefore he will complete the prophecy)

4. the epic battle will between the Others vs and a united seven kingdoms (with aegon, danaerys and jon as leading figures)

5. the starks will still have an important role in the epic battle. (either arya or bran will unite the strength of the north; or jon since he is a stark through his mother based on #3)

6. Tyrion will survive til the end (because he is just so freakin' clever and very lucky)

message 42: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Arianne wrote: "I've been stalking Westeros.org forums for quite sometime now which lead me to have the following speculations/theories

1. Aegon must have survived the massacre at the red keep; he was believed to..."

Super interesting! Thnx for sharing the ideas! :)

message 43: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments I agree with all of this accept Jon being a Targaryen. Have you read ADWD Arianne?

message 44: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) @Machiavelli: i'm still waiting for my book to arrive. =)
is jon still ned's boy in ADWD?

message 45: by Mach (last edited Jul 15, 2011 02:43PM) (new)

Mach | 198 comments No comment. You will find out when you read it, don't want to spoil anything for anyone.

message 46: by Arianne (new)

Arianne  (biatchwithwifi) @Machiavelli: and with that my curiosity will kill me now. =)

message 47: by Mach (new)

Mach | 198 comments A couple of days more won't kill you:)

message 48: by Lina (new)

Lina (lcyberlina) | 44 comments Machavelli wrote: "I agree with all of this accept Jon being a Targaryen. Have you read ADWD Arianne?"

This doesn't sound good for the Lyanna + Rhaegar = Jon theory.... hmmmm Have not gotten that far in ADWD

message 49: by Maja (new)

Maja (maja_montero) | 105 comments Machavelli wrote: "I agree with all of this accept Jon being a Targaryen. Have you read ADWD Arianne?"

NOOO! I DONT WANNA KNOW!!

message 50: by Jon (new)

Jon (FTSJ) | 41 comments Sansa has changed considering
1) The drastic measurements with Joffrey and the beheading of Ned.
2) Having to pretend to be some peasent daughter
3) Feeling the loss of everyone but one person in her family (as she believes)

« previous 1 3