The Smart Chicks Book Club discussion

Group Reads > We pick one book per month. We Read. We Discuss.

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (last edited Jan 23, 2012 12:18PM) (new)

Tina Hook | 327 comments Mod
The Guidelines.

One volunteer will be selected every month to pick 3 potential books (used to poll the group), and lead a discussion on the book that wins the majority vote.

We will do all this prep work in the month prior to reading to give everyone plenty of time.

You can volunteer by leaving a comment in this discussion AND BY PARTICIPATING IN AT LEAST ONE GROUP READ DISCUSSION PRIOR TO LEADING.

If no volunteers are available I will happily select the books, poll the group (optional), and lead the discussion.

Log in once a week (or whenever you can) to give us your thoughts on what you have read and how you are feeling about the book. OR log in to answer the question of the month.

The discussion is always open. If you happen to pick up the book after the month has passed you are encouraged to add your thoughts to the discussion board.

Participation is optional.

Happy reading, everyone.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) I would volunteer, definitely! I am thinking sometimes I will be able to participate, sometimes not so much. But I would love to help out!

message 3: by Tina (new)

Fantastic. Andrea, please pick a month (other than August) that you would like to pick the books, poll the group, and lead the discussion.

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) I'd be happy to take a turn later in the year. :)

message 5: by Tina (new)

Wonderful, Rachel. Just say when.

message 6: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) Can I go for October?

message 7: by Tina (new)

Sure Rachel. Consider it done. You are on for the group October read.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Am I picking three for the poll for September? Otherwise I can always do one for November!

message 9: by Tina (new)

Hi Andrea. You are up for September, lady. Let's plan on polling the group with your three picks on August 15th with a seven day voting window. That should give everyone plenty of time to vote and pick up the new book in time for Sept.

Thanks for volunteering!

message 10: by Tina (new)

Hi Andrea. You are up for September, lady. Let's plan on polling the group with your three picks on August 15th with a seven day voting window. That should give everyone plenty of time to vote and pick up the new book in time for Sept.

Thanks for volunteering!

message 11: by Kir (new)

Kir (thekircorner) | 1 comments I would like January....if that is possible! I can't wait to see what we will be reading for Sept!!!

message 12: by Tina (new)

Kir, you are up for January. Thanks for volunteering. Remind me when we get closer. That means you will poll the group Dec 15th with your three picks.

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Great, Tina. I will send you the three titles in the next few days, I am guessing you need to create the poll as group owner? But if I can do it for you let me know!

message 14: by Tina (new)

Hi Andrea. I look forward to seeing your picks.

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreaeisen) Hey, I'll send you the titles now! :) Let me know what you think!

message 16: by Tina (new)

Great picks. Look for the poll on the 15th.

message 17: by RD (new)

RD Morgan (rdmorgan) Hello, everyone! I just joined your club, and I'm looking forward to being a part of it. Can't wait to start the first read -- I'm ordering it today.

message 18: by Tina (new)

Welcome, RD. I look forward to reading your comments on the Reading Notes!

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Cotterill (rachelcotterill) What do I need to do with my nominations for October...? How do I get them on a poll?

message 20: by Tina (new)

Rachel wrote: "What do I need to do with my nominations for October...? How do I get them on a poll?"

Hi Rachel, I have received your three picks via email. I will poll everyone next week. Once we have a winner I will set up the discussion board so you (and everyone) can add their reactions. Thanks for leading the October discussion.

message 21: by Tina (new)

So, I have changed the rules here as to the cost of entry on leading the group. (Mainly, participation in one previous group read. I think that is fair.) If you have already volunteered (Kir, you are the last for Jan.) consider yourself grandfathered in.

I think I am going to open up Nov & Dec for something less structured to help us get through the holidays. Happy Reading!

message 22: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 36 comments Any books to be suggested for Sept 2014?

message 23: by Tina (new)

Jasmine wrote: "Any books to be suggested for Sept 2014?"

Do you have one you would like to read, Jasmine? I have one in mind, but I'm always open to suggestions.

message 24: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine | 36 comments I currently just started Jonathan Tropper's most recent, One Last Thing Before I Go. I enjoy his work but they are very different then what we have read traditionally in this group. I did read What Alice Forgot last month and I really liked it but it was also pretty indicative of my own life so I'm not sure it translates :) I've heard good thing about The Shoemaker's Wife but have yet to read it or do a colossal amount of research. What were you thinking?

message 25: by Daina (new)

Daina Lazzarotto I am a new member, I would love to volunteer and I will participate! I love to read good books!