Christian Goodreaders discussion

44 views
Goodreads Authors in Our Group > Colleen Wait, Independent Author

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (last edited Aug 19, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments Hi, I'm and independent Christian author looking to connect with other Christian readers and authors. I can be found at:
http://colleenwaitwrites.blogspot.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/...
http://www.facebook.com/cewait
www.colleenwaitbookstore.com
www.ColleenWaitEdits.com


message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Rogers (cherylrogers) | 7 comments Hello Colleen,
We can't do this alone. Please check out the John 3:16 Author Marketing Network. You can tell Lorilyn I sent you.

Blessings,
Cheryl Rogers


By the way, you can register at my magazine, New Christian Books and post announcements before and after your book is released. I also accept book excerpts.


message 3: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments Cheryl wrote: "Hello Colleen,
We can't do this alone. Please check out the John 3:16 Author Marketing Network. You can tell Lorilyn I sent you.

Blessings,
Cheryl Rogers


By the way, you can register at my magaz..."



Thank you Cheryl, I will definitely do both. - colleen


message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments Cheryl wrote: "Hello Colleen,
We can't do this alone. Please check out the John 3:16 Author Marketing Network. You can tell Lorilyn I sent you.

Blessings,
Cheryl Rogers


By the way, you can register at my magaz..."



Thank you Cheryl, I will definitely do both. - colleen
PS, site says membership is currently closed.. will check back later.


message 5: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Shanks (Yashanks) | 3 comments Colleen wrote: "Hi, I'm and independent Christian author looking to connect with other Christian readers and authors. I can be found at:
http://colleenwaitwrites.blogspot.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile..."


Hi- I too am a Self Published Christian Author! Keep allowing God to use you to touch the masses!


message 6: by C.L. (last edited Aug 03, 2011 08:26PM) (new)

C.L. | 12 comments Hi-I am also a self published author as well of ebooks. Although I'm not very good at the marketing part.


message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments C.L. wrote: "Hi-I am also a self published author as well of ebooks. Although I'm not very good at the marketing part."

C.L. - Practice, practice, practice. It takes a lot of time but you will get better as you go along. Please don't hesitate to ask questions. I'd be glad to answer what I can, point you to someone who knows what I don't. - colleen


message 8: by C.L. (last edited Aug 05, 2011 08:34PM) (new)

C.L. | 12 comments Colleen wrote: "C.L. wrote: "Hi-I am also a self published author as well of ebooks. Although I'm not very good at the marketing part."

C.L. - Practice, practice, practice. It takes a lot of time but you will g..."


Well since you offered. I guess I need to know how to get started. My first book got three reviews so far, (thank you reviewers) and the second I'm still working on. I do some marketing on Goodreads, and by marketing I mean I do postings in some of the groups and offer the first three chapters in my writings. Other than that I'm pretty clueless. I write strictly ebooks (posted on amazon and barnes and noble), mostly because it's free and they're novella length. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


message 9: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments C.L. wrote: "Colleen wrote: "C.L. wrote: "Hi-I am also a self published author as well of ebooks. Although I'm not very good at the marketing part."

C.L. - Practice, practice, practice. It takes a lot of tim..."


CL - if you don't have a FB page, get one. Not a personal one, an author page. Get a blog. Post excerpts. Google some of your favorite authors and see where you find them, then don what they do. - Colleen.


message 10: by C.L. (last edited Aug 06, 2011 07:08PM) (new)

C.L. | 12 comments Thanks for the tips Colleen. I was noticing with the Facebook sign for the page types does it matter if you choos author or writer?
Also I have a blog on Goodreads and post excerpts there. Does that count or should I do it outside Goodreads? I noticed that it does come up if you Google it even if you don't log in and it can be read whether you log in or not. Sorry warned you I was clueless.
Also I wanted to let you know I'm reading your blog post about the homeless. Haven't finished yet, but it is very good so far.


message 11: by Michelle (last edited Aug 16, 2011 11:13AM) (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Hi Colleen, nice to meet you!

I'm a mom, former teacher, current homeschooler and Christian author. I write mainstream YA fiction, but it's from a Christian worldview. Good, clean adventures!

I'm still pretty new at this too. I've been writing for years, but this spring I decided to self-publish three historical fiction novels. I'd encourage you to blog outside goodreads. Make it your own space, your own address, then it will post to Goodreads.

I've been told to "brand" myself with three words, and then present myself accordingly. That's been good advice. Then my blog, website, twitter, etc will all advertize me that way. After establishing that I'm YA, I chose "adventure", "innocence" and "substance" and I'm starting to attract readers looking for just what I write!

It's slow, because I'm busy and I'm doing this Indie, but it's happening.

http://www.michelleisenhoff.wordpress...
http://www.michelleisenhoff.com


message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments C.L. wrote: "Thanks for the tips Colleen. I was noticing with the Facebook sign for the page types does it matter if you choos author or writer?
Also I have a blog on Goodreads and post excerpts there. Does t..."

From what I have gleaned, promote yourself anywhere any everywhere allowed. The first thing I did was put all of my sites under my signature on my e-mail (FB page site, blog, and Smashwords home page). I made my blog my name. I use Create Space for my paperbacks. Prefer it over WordClay.

Look for people who do author interviews on their blog. I have done several. Its fun but I find it hard to talk about myself.

Agreed, it takes time.

Good luck. Colleen.


message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments Michelle wrote: "Hi Colleen, nice to meet you!

I'm a mom, former teacher, current homeschooler and Christian author. I write mainstream YA fiction, but it's from a Christian worldview. Good, clean adventures!
..."


Hi Michelle. I do have a blog. It is http://ColleenWaitWrites.blogspot.com

I've never heard about branding yourself but I have tried to use very similar 'tag words'.


message 14: by Michelle (last edited Aug 16, 2011 12:17PM) (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Whoops! That whole section was intended for C.L. My bad. Not sure how I did that. I'm heading to check out your blog now. :)


message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Colleen, your book looks intriguing! I had to chuckle at your bio. The running bug bit me too. I've been trying to break the habit for years. :)


message 16: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wait | 13 comments Michelle wrote: "Colleen, your book looks intriguing! I had to chuckle at your bio. The running bug bit me too. I've been trying to break the habit for years. :)"

The habit has trying to break me. I've had knee problems and shoulder problems and just getting over a broken toe. Somehow I haven't gotten the hint that it's time to quit. I'm still planning on a 15K at the end of Sept and a marathon in Feb.


message 17: by Michelle (last edited Aug 16, 2011 02:05PM) (new)

Michelle Isenhoff (michelleisenhoff) Lol. I understand. My last big race was a 25K. I ran it when I was 19 and swore never againg. Then I ran it when I was 21 and swore never again. Then at 35 I had to prove something (and I ran within 5 min of my 19-yr-old time!). That was three years ago. I walk a lot more now, but every so often I start up again. It's kind of like malaria, you know? Gets in your blood and doesn't let go. We'll see what 40 brings. (Hmm...I've never tried a marathon...)


message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Foster (elizabeth12345) | 1 comments I just published my first book and it's called "The Perfect Gift" and I'm looking for any advice you can give on marketing and advertising.

http://www.periscope-llc.org/

Thanks in advance.

The Perfect Gift


message 19: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi | 101 comments Tammy Doherty is an independent author who's got a great writing style. Celtic Knot by Tammy Doherty


message 20: by Dan (new)

Dan Schmidt | 3 comments I've been editing a bunch of new and seasoned writers for "Our Savior Come", a collection of reflections, ideas and discussion questions for Advent. It's just come out, and there's a Goodreads giveaway until November 7. Not sure if we're pushing the Christmas season too early--but glad to have been part of this project!


back to top