Monster Monster discussion

This discussion is flippin' sweet. . .

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by DW (last edited Jul 06, 2011 09:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

DW Andrew Delcourt Spoilers: One thing I love about this book is how it avoids so many stereotypes you find in story telling. One of my favorites being the fact that by the end of the book the main characters haven't learned a moral. They start out as generally rude disliked people and that doesn't change when the book ends.
You could dig a little and I could probably find SOMETHING they learned, but he didn't force anything. That's something I really like about this book. I still like to philosophize (new word) about each book I read. This isn't an exception, but it doesn't feel fake or forced. It's just a fun, well written fantasy.
What do you think?

message 2: by DW (new) - rated it 5 stars

DW Andrew Delcourt I've read Divine Misfortune and loved it! I haven't read Gil's All-Fright Diner, but I want to eventually. A. Lee Martinez has a wonderful talent for creating worlds.

message 3: by Linda (new) - added it

Linda Hurley I discovered A. Lee Martinez this summer with Gil's All-Fright Diner and loved it even though its really not my type of book. Picked up The Nameless Witch at the bookstore and absolutely loved it the best. Currently making my way through the rest of his books and love his writings. Even though each one I pick up I say.. 'not my style', they quickly draw me in and don't let go.

J.H. Glaze The thing I liked about Monster was the combination of a smart ass, with the reluctant hero type. And I really liked the paper sidekick, the intellectual straight man from another dimension.

Luke Heatherington I loved how they put a modern spin on all the mythological creatures I used to read about.