Writers and Readers discussion

Writers Corner > Short Story contest - get your short story published in an Anthology!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I know you guys out there have some writing skills! Get in on this contest and get your name out there! We are looking for short stories in all sorts of genres! Check out the link below and submit your short story today! Time's a tickin people!! :)

http://journalstone.com/contest/journ...

message 2: by Paul (new)

Paul Jones (paulantonyjones) | 32 comments Thanks for the heads-up, Amy. I have a horror short that will fit perfectly.

message 3: by James (new)

James Steele yes, thanks for the info and I was all excited about until...

Theme: All submitted stories must include some reference to or an overall theme surrounding these two ideas/topics: (90 minutes to live, a lock of hair).

...what? It would be a great anthology contest, but why the odd theme restriction?

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Jones (paulantonyjones) | 32 comments James wrote: "yes, thanks for the info and I was all excited about until...

Theme: All submitted stories must include some reference to or an overall theme surrounding these two ideas/topics: (90 minutes to l..."

Well that will teach me to read a little more thoroughly. Out goes my submission :(

Guess I'll have to come up with something new.

message 5: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments The themes do seem a bit off the wall, don't they? I'd very much like to enter, though. It would be a challenge to come up with something decent and I'm pretty sure I can at least include a reference to those things. After all, they didn't say they have to be the focus of the story, just that you "must include some reference to".

Think of it as a challenge!

message 6: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I don't know what the deal is with the topic requirement...I just work there...LOL

I'm sure you can just throw it in there somewhere...This is why I leave the creativity you you amazing authors, and I just edit your fantastic work! :)

message 7: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments This contest ends in September, so you all have plenty of time to enter! :)

message 8: by Evan (new)

Evan | 2 comments Im 18 years old and really interested in entering this short story contest.. Im planning on writing some kind of horror story but what are the themes of (90 mins to live and lock of hair)? Im just alittle confused so if somebody could explain it, that would be helpful..

message 9: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments It doesn't have to be an overall theme, just a mention in the short story somewhere about either a lock of hair or 90 min to live. So you could put something in there about a serial killer tucking a lock of hair from his victim in his pocket to add to a 'trophy' collection of his kills, or something like that, and it qualifies.

Another example could be for a YA short story about what two love-struck hobbits were discussing they would do if they knew they only had 90 min left to live.

Or if you choose, your whole short story can center around either theme. It's all up to the author.

message 10: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 142 comments Thanks for the clarification :)

message 11: by Evan (new)

Evan | 2 comments Yes thank you as well :) I'm very excited to enter this contest, good luck everybody!

message 12: by Amy Eye (last edited Jul 19, 2011 03:23PM) (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments I hope there are loads of entries, this is a very fun contest.

:)

message 13: by Amy Eye (new)

Amy Eye | 98 comments Update on this, the short story has to have references to BOTH a lock of hair and 90 min to live. It doesnt have to be the focal point, but it has to be mentioned in it at some point. I emailed the host of the contest and got some clarification. :)