flight paths discussion

Welcome > Introduce yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 121 (121 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) New to Flight Paths? Use this thread to introduce yourself to the group.

message 2: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Seeing as FlightPaths is such a new group and still in early stages of evolving, I am encouraging everyone to do at least a brief introduction. Not wanting to precipitate an existential crises, it would be great if everyone could post a little something to indicate who you are and where you are coming from. It would be of interest to know what attracted you to the group, and what are your hopes and fears regarding membership.

And if you like, elaborate, carry on in chapters,let us know who you are. your favorite books, your philosophy.

I look forward to reading all about you.

Does everyone realize what a great group that we\ve got?

message 3: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Sep 05, 2011 10:18PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments In fact its challanging to do this.
For now I will just say that one of my favorite nicnames is Dee with an upward lilt (it means good in Thai. with a downward lilt it means pain in stomache....awful)
I am a geminii pilgrim,an activist pacifist, a poet and dancer.
I have a BA in philosophy and sociology, and certificates in massage from Esalen Institute and in community based social services and addictions counselling.
For now, I live in Vancouver and work part time in a used bookstore.
It goes without saying that I love to read, but I also love to dance, to share, to walk and play outside,to listen, and to serve the world.( I finally realized I couldn't save it, only do my part) I love life and look for the best in everyone.
This is what I wish for the world: Harmony in diversity! Abundance for all!
Beauty! Picnics! Music!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Wow, what fascinating bios the two of you have! That's a tough act to follow. :)

message 5: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Kinkajou wrote:

Hi, my name is Kinkajou and I'm a bookaholic. The only reason I'd want to be immortal is to be able to read everything..."

Wow Kinkajou, it's an honour to meet you. You express some of my feelings so perfectly. I am fairly confident that you will acheive whatever you set your mind to.

Ma Grande OS: it's only life, not an act or a competition. I am positive every single person in this group has their own amazing history and surprises. I know you do.

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I think the narrative in our lives gets most of its interest from how we view it. I've known people with dramatic lives who had no sense of it, no way to present it to themselves or others & were bored. Then you have others (like Emily Dickinson or Jane Austen for that matter) with little outward drama but a powerful sense of narrative.
I think that that's the point of therapy, in some ways. Not to change the past, obviously, but to change our relationship to it. Our narrative of it. Our framing.

On my good days, I'm a woman who has raised 2 children with disabilities (one of the children with autism), survived violence and poverty and built a career as a teacher while maintaining her sense of humor and passion for life.

On my bad days, I'm a lousy mother & housekeeper who has barely hung on to a job.

As I said, it has a lot to do with how I'm framing it!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Oh, I didn't mean my comment to sound self-deprecating! I was just expressing that Kink and Mags made themselves sound so very very interesting, and I'm not sure I can do that. :)

And Mags? I'm competitive about everything. For serious!

@El - However you frame it, you sound like a strong and amazing woman. :)

message 8: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Kinkajou said..>>We can't allow society's values to define our worth because often those values are shallow and useless.<< so true.And it's so insidious.
Ellie, I already gathered what an amazing woman you are, I am blown away by your nutshell bio. It's on those bad days that we are vulnerable to those shallow values that would depreciate our own efforts and accomplishments.Doubting ourselves and judging ourselves according to the opinions of others seems to be so common that I see it as part of the cycle of adjustment that we act out, our highs and lows. Only the enlightened and those who repress most of their feelings have no peaks and valleys.

Ellie said..>>I think the narrative in our lives gets most of its interest from how we view it...frame it...<< and isn't one of the main wonderful things that books do for us, give us alternate Points of view and frame things so perfectly between their covers.
>> we got to philosophize!

message 9: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Aug 28, 2011 06:41AM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) HRO's Amazing Fantastic Incredible Bio

My ancestry is British/Irish/French. That may be going a bit far back for a little bio like this; however, it does influence who I am. My family very much embraced the British-New England ideals of hard work and stoicism, and this is the environment in which I was raised. And I seem to have an inexplicable love for all things British - books, movies, music, fashion. And I have just a teensy bit of snobby French chic-ness as well.

I grew up on a dairy farm in Ohio. Although I have four siblings, there was a huge gap of age between myself and the others, so I was very much like an only child. I spent my hours writing stories and playing make-believe in the woods and reading countless books.

When I was 20, I got drunk and woke up married to a friend. Oops. Seven years of the worst marriage ever. But he was in the Navy, so I at least had the opportunity to travel and see a lot of the country. I've lived in 7 different states, 5 of those within the space of 7 years.

After the divorce, I worked a lot of random jobs and lived in several different places and tried to figure out The Meaning of Life. I'm still in that place.

A few years ago, I stumbled into a job as the only reporter for a small town newspaper. No education, no experience...but I got the job. It was the most horrible awesome stressful amazing employment experience ever. Unfortunately, due to changes in the company, I was let go in February of this year. I'm now doing freelance work for another local newspaper and working two part time jobs that require no brain cells but provide money to pay the bills. :)

My favorite color is orange. I love books and movies that have meaning beyond the obvious without being so pedantic that they are not entertaining. I'm fascinated by music and art and fashion. I love attending the theater. When I get depressed, I shop. If I don't have coffee, peanut butter, and cheese in the kitchen I feel a bit panicky. I have a ridiculously large vocabulary and often fail to realize that not everyone else does. I can be very very silly. I love running (and competed in three 5K races last summer) but have seriously neglected it lately. I'm making a vague attempt to write a novel. I love to cook and am completely incapable of growing any plant. And before I die I want to visit England and France.

message 10: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Jul 10, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "HRO's Amazing Fantastic Incredible Bio

My ancestry is British/Irish/French. That may be going a bit far back for a little bio like this; however, it does influence who I am. My family ..."

Its great to have you as co moderator HRO and to have you crack the enigma of your history at last. You don't mention kids,pets,or current signifigent others....?
I too "love books and movies that have meaning beyond the obvious without being so pedantic that they are not entertaining." and love being silly ( something I've been cultivating over the last decade)
Can you say a bit more about your novel, or is it still gestating in secret?

message 11: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Oh, I didn't mean my comment to sound self-deprecating! I was just expressing that Kink and Mags made themselves sound so very very interesting, and I'm not sure I can do that. :)

And Mags? I'm co..."

Aw shucks. Thanks! :#

message 12: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Kinkajou wrote: "Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "Oh, I didn't mean my comment to sound self-deprecating! I was just expressing that Kink and Mags made themselves sound so very very interesting, and I'm not sure I can ..."

I hear you! I've been off with my kids & AC (there's no ac where the computer is & I'm dying. But I miss you all!)

message 13: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Magdelanye wrote: "Kinkajou said..>>We can't allow society's values to define our worth because often those values are shallow and useless.<< so true.And it's so insidious.
Ellie, I already gathered what an amazing ..."

I believe deeply in using intellectual defenses. What else is an intellect for? (only half-kidding, lol)

message 14: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments You said it! But at least we finally got a fan! :D

message 15: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 10, 2011 11:16AM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Magdelanye wrote: "You don't mention kids,pets,or current signifigent others....?"

Kids - Can't have them and never really wanted them.
Pets - Can't have them (apartment rules). But I love big furry drooly dogs and dream of owning a Leonberger named Wumpus. :)
S.O. - There's someone I date, but it's casual and very complicated, so I really don't ever mention it.

Kinkajou wrote: "We should be the AFI Reader Club."
I like that! :)

Sorry, Ellie, I can't sympathize. I don't mind being hot and hate AC. In fact, I dislike all "fake wind" - AC, fans, etc. Makes my skin feel all oogly. But I am glad you're more comfortable now! :)

message 16: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I wish I were like you, HRO-I used to feel that way when I was younger. Now I feel like I can't breathe. It's the humidity more than the heat.

message 17: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments I know-I remember when there was all that talk about the "cold snow people". Even though I'm Irish/Jewish American, I identify with them.

Unless I'm at the beach, my favorite place in the world. Otherwise, I'd rather it were snowing.

message 18: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments A winter's child.

For me the present and future are the key variables, both seemingly out of (my) control.

I have learned tolerance, and also that I am an inconsistent listener and teacher.

Like my avatar, solitary, cuddly from appearances, solid, dependable, walking a narrow and sometimes lonely path, but holding an inner strength.

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Aaaaaagh...winter! Hatehatehate! Having to wear three layers of clothes every single day for months and months. Being achingly cold all the time. Not being able to leave the house without spending 15 minutes putting on coat and hat and gloves and scarfs and snow boots. Removing 8 feet of snow and 5 inches of ice from the car every single day. Everything taking 2 or 3 times longer to do because the roads are a perpetual glare of ice. And did I mention being miserably cold constantly? Aaaaaaagh!

message 20: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 20, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments I think it is a case of reverse psychology, as I have been to Cleveland (both of them) around winter time ........... thus a solution is to perhaps move !

Lucky that the UK has the Gulf Stream to warm us up, as we are on the same Latitude.

message 21: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments How about summer?
We,ve had about ten days of sunshine, not in a row.
It's hard to imagine being truly warm as this summer in Van is so chilly and wet.
HRO,I too loathe AC and can tolerate only those lazy ceiling fans. But Ellie, hope you've been able to chill out.

message 22: by Her Royal Orangeness (last edited Jul 20, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) The area where I live is under "an excessive heat watch" today. Temps are supposed to get into the high 90s with extreme humidity to make the "heat index between 105 and 110 degrees."

I actually might go looking for some AC late this afternoon, as I don't have it at home. Sounds like it might be a good day to hang out at the coffee shop!

message 23: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote: "The area where I live is under "an excessive heat watch" today. Temps are supposed to get into the high 90s with extreme humidity to make the "heat index between 105 and 110 degrees."

Woosh.
I'd send you some of this rain if I could but with those temperatures it would just boil...
Do you have no beaches there? Swimming pools?

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Magdelanye wrote: "Woosh. I'd send you some of this rain if I could but with those temperatures it would just boil...
Do you have no beaches there? Swimming pools?"

I have pale freckly Irish skin. I get a sunburn in 10 minutes. With sunscreen. I'm staying indoors. :)

message 25: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments cucumbers are cooling and soothing placed strategically

I hope you find some comfortable way to enjoy the day.
I'll be wearing long pants and a raincoat.

message 26: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 20, 2011 08:30AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments I recall a small lake just north of town !

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Magdelanye wrote: "cucumbers are cooling and soothing placed strategically..."

Oh, that could be misinterpreted so many ways! If I put piles of cucumbers around my house, it will be cooler? If I attach cucumber slices to my body, I'll be more comfortable outside? Etc. etc. lol

Ice wrote: "I recall a small lake just north of town ! "

Yes, I can get to a beach in about 3 minutes. The guarantee of a sunburn makes it unlikely that I will be making that trip, however.

message 28: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments I recall going to a small island in 'the lake' in summer and being crisped and fried, so as another pale skin, celt & viking rather than Irish, I understand completely.

message 29: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Her Royal Orangeness wrote:
Oh, that could be misinterpreted so many ways! If I put piles of cucumbers around my house, it will be cooler? ..."
I'm rather doubtful about that but cucumber, aside from any culinary or erotic purposes, is extremely soothing to the skin.It cools and balances and tones, and cucumber lotion is the best for daily moisurizing. But fresh cukes are necessary for this recipe:
The ideal is of course to have someone else apply the cucumber: thinish slices, over face and chest and any area that might be crisped. A sheet or towel that has soaked in cold water can be draped over the body for further cooling effect.
Aloe vera is of course best for burns, cucumber is good in a pinch but you have to reapply more often, when it gets warm.
prevention is even better. I cover up in loose clothing, hat, shawl.
Hope your day was more than tolerable amd that you got a lot of reading, napping...
I hear the heat wave is into eastern Canada.

message 30: by Ice, Pilgrim (last edited Jul 21, 2011 12:47AM) (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Its raining here on and off for 3 days, coincidentally (and recently climate wise not unusually) the state schools are just ending summer term for 6 weeks vacation !!

message 31: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Ice wrote: "Its raining here on and off for 3 days, coincidentally (and recently climate wise not unusually) the state schools are just ending summer term for 6 weeks vacation !!"

oh joy, the rain has stopped and a very summerlike day
its all so relative, thinking that

message 32: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Flitting through the comments here and finding them even more meaningful, now that we are getting to know each other better.
I was shocked to read my own introduction had no mention of the crucial facts that I am a mother of a grown up son. In fact, he is now older than me.:)

There are other defining characteristics that I left out and in the future I may use this thread to reflect on them as they influence my reading choices and destinations. I encourage anyone else to do likewise.

message 33: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments Happy 29th February !!!!!!!
I think one is coming up next year

(Probably belongs in Randon/Silliness - HRO the great editor of the path)

message 34: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Aug 10, 2011 12:44AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Ice wrote: "Happy 29th February !!!!!!!
I think one is coming up next year

(Probably belongs in Randon/Silliness - HRO the great editor of the path)"

You are right Ice, unless you are are trying to tell us something about yourself here.

message 35: by Ice, Pilgrim (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) | 756 comments If your son is older than you, then unless you are working on (?) Mercury's calendar where a year is longer than a day, your birthday should be as listed.

message 36: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments yes yes you got it.
I am a double geminii and mercury rules.
Actually, I live in a different time warp than most people and I seem to be a late bloomer. (learned social skills late) Now if that isn't silly

message 37: by Melissa (last edited Aug 27, 2011 08:07PM) (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Hello all. I just joined this group today, after looking at a notification from HRO for the last week? month? who knows. I find, to my surprise, that writing little messages back and forth with friendly, witty, book lovers is a lot of fun. So, this group looks great!

I am . . . sheesh. This is hard.

I grew up in both Alabama and Alaska. Got married, divorced, went to college, moved to Oregon, finished school at the ripe age of 32, and have been a botanist since. No, I won't admit to how long since!

No children except two spoiled rotten cats. A great partner of almost 20 years. He has a 26 year old daughter. We have spent enormous amounts of time camping, harvesting wild mushrooms, growing vegetables, identifying plants, studying bees (lately), paddling canoes and kayaks, and doing nothing at all. Myself, I like to make jewelry, eat good food, listen to Mozart, explore tidepools, accumulate dust collecting stuff like rocks and shells, adorn my body with shiny, dangly objects, and act like a hippie sometimes.

I also love to read. And I can be guilty of chattering and rambling on and on and never getting to the point until my listeners start wiggling around and rolling their eyes!

Enough. All of you sound like great fun, I look forward to playing with you!

ETA: Household also includes a pair of cockatiels, several fishes, one duck and one chicken (they live outside).

message 38: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Melissa wrote: "Hello all. I just joined this group today, after looking at a notification from HRO for the last week? month? who knows. I find, to my surprise, that writing little messages back and forth with ..."

Welcome Melissa, So glad you found your way here and anticipate getting to know you. You sound like an amazing woman of great determination and abundant and positive energy and humour.

Note that we have tons in common, except for you are actually living the life (camping,gardening,exploring tidepools, getting out on the water) that I left behind when I moved back to the city. And you are a botanist!

Thanks HRO for the introduction!

Her Royal Orangeness (onlyorangery) Welcome Melissa! Glad you found your way here. :)

message 40: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (elliearcher) | 1244 comments Hi Melissa! Welcome. I don't want to live your life but I sure love hearing about it :) My spoiled little cats are nearly as important as my not so little children (21 & 180-egads).

Look forward to getting to know you.

message 41: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mjkirkland) Thanks y'all for the warm welcome. Ellie I don't want anyone to live my life, except me, either!

message 42: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Nov 15, 2011 08:11PM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments just thought to touch down here and add a new tidbit to my bio. Over the weekend I attended a chapbook making workshop and now have copies of my first solo poetry collection/publication, What Must Happen Next :!

Its a very limited edition, but will be great to have at readings,almost all my war poems together.I have always considered myself an oral poet or a performance artist but I am ridiculously pleased to have actually done this.

message 43: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) Magdelanye wrote: "just thought to touch down here and add a new tidbit to my bio. Over the weekend I attended a chapbook making workshop and now have copies of my first solo poetry collection/publication, What Must ..."

That's great! Congratulations!!

message 44: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (last edited Sep 28, 2011 03:28AM) (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments thanks Ann, and Kinkajou! it feels good!

I am adding to this becuase its interesting to note that I am just now(7 hrs and 27 minutes later) receiving Kinkajou's message, which now appears where it looks like it should be chronologically,but was not there when I responded to Ann. Must be a time zone thing.
I am considering publishing as an e-book. The hesitation is that I love the hard copy. There is no comparison between something you can and cannot hold.

message 45: by Jim (new)

Jim Hi fellow passengers,

I was born and raised in New Jersey within sight of the Manhattan skyline. I lived the first half of my life there, the second half in San Francisco, and am now living the third half in the south of France.

NJ: One sister, the occasional cat, dog, and goldfish. Educated in public school. A quiet, high-IQ kid living amongst violent blue-collar families. I intentionally dumbed-down my vocabulary in an attempt to blend. Mostly, that worked. I was a very well-behaved kid in school because I was terrified of being sent to catholic school and being beaten by nuns. Later, I studied communications and literature at Rutgers University. Studied a lot of Shakespeare, Faulkner, Melville, and Hawthorne.

S.F.: Arrived in San Francisco at age 24. Worked hard, married for 20 years, no kids, divorced. Two dogs, now deceased. Pushed out of the corporate world in 2006 and am now an economic refugee in Europe.

Arrived in France earlier this year. I've traveled in France many times over the past 22 years and love the country and its culture. I somehow managed to end up in the beautiful Perigord Noir region. I'm a short drive away from the Lascaux cave and dozens of other prehistoric sites. I know many anthropologists, palentologists, and even a pollenologist. I get to have fascinating discussions with these people about the origins of human culture which stimulate all kinds of amazing thoughts.

I forgot to mention that I am also a visual artist and have worked in all 2D media you can imagine, including film and video. In September, I exhibited my work in town. It was a retrospective of about 60 pieces I did in response to 9/11. The people here were very responsive and they were happy to see an American perspective on the 10th anniversary. The local papers did photos and interviewed me twice, so now people know me as an artist instead of just that dumb-ass who can't speak French - LOL!

I take classes once a week to learn the language. I do a lot of reading, since we have no TV, and I spend an hour or two a day on GR to keep in touch with the English-speaking world. I'm currently reading ancient literature to deepen my education. What's surprising - or maybe not so surprising at all - is that the human concerns/problems of the ancient world are pretty much the same now (Medea/Casey Anthony, par example...)

S.O. is named Maite and she loves me very much, so we're happy together. No kids or pets, but there are eight chickens out back who keep us in fresh omelets and who love me for giving them our kitchen scraps.

Philosophically, I'm a Buddhist in the lineage of the S.F. Zen Center and Green Gulch Farm in Marin. I don't currently belong to a sangha, and probably won't seek one until I am fluent in French. I'm about 30 minutes away from Thich Nhat Han's Plum Village, so I'm sure I'll attach myself there in the future (Buddhist joke).
I also like Taoism, as represented in the Tai Chi mandala, though I have no formal relationship to Taoism beyond reading about it. There is also a Tibetan Buddhist community nearby which I haven't visited yet.

Politically, I pray that there is some version of Christian judgment after death so that the bastards get what they deserve! LOL!

More seriously though, where I'm at right now would best be described by a saying from the late 60s that was used against the hippies and anti-war protesters - "America - Love It Or Leave It!"

And so, here I am in Europe...

message 46: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments Jim wrote: "Hi fellow passengers,

I was born and raised in New Jersey within sight of the Manhattan skyline. I lived the first half of my life there, the second half in San Francisco, and am now living the th..."

welcome Jim to Flight Paths!
I have already made my first faux pas with you, which you will see if you check the where are you thread,which I saw before this. I do speak a fairly functional French, but I am rather illiterate.

Please feel to pick up any of the threads that inspire your comment. This is a pretty relaxed group but we like to mix it up a bit.

I am wondering where your town is in southern France. I spent a couple of weeks in St. Jean Pied de Port just by the border to Spain. I can hardly wait to return to the Camino.

message 47: by Jim (last edited Oct 04, 2011 08:35AM) (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "Jim wrote: "Hi fellow passengers,

I was born and raised in New Jersey within sight of the Manhattan skyline. I lived the first half of my life there, the second half in San Francisco, and am now l..."

I'm in the Dordogne River valley, about 3 hours drive to St. Jean Pied de Port. Did you like the Basque country? I loved the custom of the old men adding red wine to their espresso in the morning. Breakfast of champions!

message 48: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments WoW! I adore the Basque country and bonded strongly with les montagnes there. Was it difficult to arrange your move? And have you walked the camino?
Personally, I go for pancharan, that amazing spanish drink that goes down so well at the end of a long days trek.

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim Magdelanye wrote: "WoW! I adore the Basque country and bonded strongly with les montagnes there. Was it difficult to arrange your move? And have you walked the camino?
Personally, I go for pancharan, that amazing spa..."

My last visit was in 1990. It's time to go back!!!

Yes, I had a wonderful time there and enjoyed the camino, the sea, the food, and of course, the wine.

message 50: by Magdelanye, Senior Flight Attendant (new)

Magdelanye | 2335 comments do you remember Manjuran? with that old barn thats the refugio there?
I actually have to get ready for for work but I will be excited to see anything you post, when I check in tonight...

« previous 1 3