Kids/Teens Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Need Books.. Read My Message Inside.

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Bieber | 8 comments Right now I am reading Gone by Michel Grant. I like the book.. mostly. I think I tend to like books more when they have more romance. Not like you know romance romance where they go all the way or the cheesy romance but like the good romance. Where it's like true love or the best friend you just found out your in love with. That's basically how I rate books, how books make my favorites list, by the romance. Sometimes I think that's just plain sad but it's the truth. I find that guy authors, like Percy Jackson's author for example, just can't captivate that romance. I remember thinking "Oh, Annabelle, you are perfect for Percy! Why can't you two just kiss!!" But it never happened until the very last book of the whole freakin series!! And those were probably really good books but I didn't like them that much because, well, you know I have issues. I loved the way Jace and Cleary were. Meant to be. No questions asked. ...And everyone knew they loved each other. A scary love because it was so true, so real. I just finished the Mortal Instruments series before I started Gone.. But I need something to feed my love sick hunger. Any books fill this description you can think of? You must think I'm like a really weird person!! Telling this to complete stranger!! I know you read all this and now your thinking it was a complete waste of your time and I'm sorry :) If you feel the same way about books post below or if you need more information about books I like let me know!! Thanks so much!!

message 2: by Tara (new)

Tara | 32 comments The Adventures of goth girl and fanboy! Well, the sequal to that goth girl rising anyway! :)
Or Tricks by Ellen Hopkins
or The Wake trilogy by Lisa McMann

message 3: by Amber (new)

Amber | 15 comments Just finished reading this book:

Crushed (The Witch-Game #1) by K.C. Blake

It has a great romance. Kristen and Zach start off hating each other. The last thing they want is to fall in love but they do. It gets complicated. They both have a secret they don't want the other to know about. Ironically it's pretty much the same secret. You should check it out.

message 4: by Rose (new)

Rose (rose_b) | 330 comments I really liked Scrambled Eggs at Midnight.

message 5: by Maxandfang (new)

Maxandfang | 4 comments if you havent read the Hunger Games...or theres this really unpopular series called Dragons in our Midst...its really good, but you may have to search for it. the first one is called Raising Dragons

message 6: by disi. (new)

disi. | 7 comments Maybe Delirium...
I hadn't read it right now but I think you will
like it. :D

message 7: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments Just a comment on your bit about PJO, Annabelle. Rick Riordan wasn't concentrating on the romance. That sort of found it's way in the story. The main part of the books was the adventure. And besides, in The Lightning Thief aren't they 12? I may be a bit old fashioned for our society, but for me you're too young to date until you hit high school.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 8205 comments The other thing is that I felt the romance in there was actually believable, unlike most books right now. It was not, I just met you, your the person of my dreams, let's get married. It actually took its time and developed, proceeding over a natural course. You say that guy authors like Riordan can't capture the romance, but I think he did a better job than most authors do.

message 9: by Rebekah Faith (new)

Rebekah Faith (musicalradiance) | 6788 comments I'm agreeing with Kate (yet again)- guy authors are more than adept at creating believable romances. What about Nicholas Sparks?

Books like Twilight (just an example) seem exceedingly rushed in the romance. You start reading and barely know Bella when all of a sudden sees Edward and can't stop thinking about him. While I DO believe that this COULD happen in real life, the probability of it happening is slim to none, and it's just not a believable progression.

Books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson that don't focus on the romance and merely acknowledge the fact that as teenagers we think about dating and such with someone else tend to better capture realistic emotions and create believable relationships.

message 10: by Soumya (new)

Soumya a good romance book is a walk to remember by Nicholas Sparks ( I think it is romantic)

message 11: by B (new)

B | 52 comments Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel

It's romance, action, sad, humorous...and it has an odd twist...zombies. It sounds insane, but it definitely hits that TRUE LOVE mark...

message 12: by ★ Jess (new)

★ Jess  | 4295 comments Mod
The Forest of Hands and Teeth might interest you

message 13: by Annabelle (new)

Annabelle Bieber | 8 comments I'm sorry if this post offended any Percy Jackson lovers. I understand Rick wasn't aiming for the romance aspect but more for the adventure. Personally, I don't like adventure and I thought those books would be better suited for boys which was the audience Rick was trying to captivate through his stories. I agree with Rebekah, dating before you are in high school is a little too young. And I wasn't suggesting they should "date" when they are 12 but maybe in the later books. I don't know.. To me they just seemed perfect for each other. And now I'd like to agree with Kate. I absolutely hate when romance in the book is rushed or where you can predict who is gonna end up with who because it's soo... cheesy? Is that the word? As I stated in my original post, "Not like you know romance romance where they go all the way or the cheesy romance but like the good romance. Where it's like true love or the best friend you just found out your in love with." I like a natural love as well but I guess the percy Jackson love was too slow for me. As Rebekah said in her second post, books like Harry Potter and Percy Jackson are adventure books not romance books and were not written to please an audience of romance lovers.

In short, I didn't mean to discredit Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan, adventure books in general, and men authors. I was using Percy Jackson as an example to better assist and help people understand the books I WOULD enjoy so they would have an easier time recommending books to me. I also want to be clear that I don't dislike all adventure books. I actually liked Harry Potter AND Percy Jackson for a time. They just weren't books I'd recommend to a friend. Of course they were well written! Look at Harry Potter, how can you say it wasn't written beautifully? It just wasn't my style of book in the end. ...I think Hatchet ruined loving adventure books for me. And why I was pretty much hating on men authors that day was probably because I read Gone right after I finished The Mortal Instruments Series. Was that series good? It was amazing! My favorite book? Yes! Have romance in it? The most tragically perfect kind. Written by a woman? Yes.. So I want to apologize to Percy Jackson, Rick Riordan, adventure books in general, and especially men authors. For without men authors I wouldn't have read some of my favorite books (Maximum Ride, Uglies).

Thank you to everyone else for recommending a book. I will be sure to check them all out.

Sorry for the late response. To tell you the truth I haven't been on this website since school started. I guess you could say I'm just a little busy.(:

Also if you want, let me know what you think about Pride and Prejudice (For school) and Divergent. They are the next on my reading list after I finish rereading The City of Bones (Part of Mortal Instrument Series).

Love,
Annabelle

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 11 comments If you like a good book with Romance as a sting presence, but not overdone and cheesy, I HIGHLY Recommend Divergent by Veronica Roth. I'm currently I'm a fictitious relationship with the leading male figure (; lol

message 15: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (Melanie3) | 3 comments This book is more horror than it is romance, but Ashes by Ilsa J. Bick was amazing! And two of the characters do kiss in it, so there is the romance feel in there. The sequel to the book is coming out in about two weeks, so now is the time to read Ashes. It's really good!!!!