Terminalcoffee discussion

Random Queries > How Many Times Have You Moved in Your Life?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aynge (new)

Aynge (ayngemac) | 1202 comments I just counted 22. My parents dragged us all over the world, so now I LOATHE moving. I don't even like to travel. The thought of having to pack makes me break out in hives.

How about you?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim | 6485 comments I think that I have moved only 9 times. Hopefully only once more.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) I've moved 9 or 10 times.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Seventeen times.

message 5: by ~Geektastic~ (last edited Jul 05, 2011 12:33PM) (new)

~Geektastic~ (atroskity) | 3207 comments I haven't moved much, maybe 7 or 8 times, but my parents were divorced so as a kid I split my time between my mom's house, my dad's house and both sets of grandparents (the majority spent with my maternal grandparents), so I lived in four places at once for 10 years or so.

message 6: by Phil (new)

Phil | 11626 comments I can think of 19 times. There may have been another apartment or two that don't immediately come to mind.

message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 4728 comments Eleven. I think.

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca White (rebecca_white) | 1028 comments 27. 11 of those were before college.

message 9: by Pat (new)

Pat (patb37) Eleven.

message 10: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments If we're counting back and forth from college (I'm counting any time I had to pick up all of my clothes and take them somewhere else), I've got 16. I own this current place though, so no moves in my near-future. :)

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary (merrussell) Fourteen times

message 12: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Lobstergirl | 24149 comments Mod
Lived in 11 places, so I've moved 10 times.

message 13: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

15 17 moves. I didn't realise how many it was until I counted them up. Moving is good for the soul. It gives you a chance to clean out all the trash.

Ooops. I had to add another two I had forgotten about.

message 14: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

Or pack it up and take it with you...

message 15: by Lobstergirl, el principe (new)

I have a very good friend who moved ridiculous amounts of times - a lot of it due to schooling, fellowships, internships, short term jobs, you name it. I mean, she has lived in dozens and dozens of places. In my old address book she took up half of one letter, plus half of the next letter. She's in Vietnam now and is determined to stay there for 7-10 years. We'll see...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Not me. I'm a minimalist when it comes to moving. If I don't need it, it doesn't come with me. I need to move now, I've been in my current house for 11 years. Or I at least need to pretend I am moving to do a clean out.

message 17: by Lobstergirl, el principe (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:47PM) (new)

I try to deaccession when I move. I really do. Last move I got rid of lots of paper, a big computer, and bags and bags of clothes and shoes. But I still have lots and lots and lots of clothes and shoes left...

Inevitably I run out of time, and the stuff I haven't had time to go through gets packed and goes with me.

message 18: by Jammies (new)

Jammies I've moved 8 times, almost all of them within the state of Ohio.

Angela~twistedmind~ (twistedmind) | 540 comments 28 times, the best that I can remember.
I'm not exactly sure how many times we moved when I was a kid.
I detest moving.

message 20: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments 15 times--UGH--that's too many. I hate moving!

message 21: by janine (new)

janine | 7715 comments 2 times. As a kid I resented my parents for never moving. My father has lived in almost all of the houses on the street where my parents still live. Two of those houses were built by my grandparents. They also converted a garage to a farm and some of my father's cousins also live on that street. There's no incest as far as I know of, apart from that one time with our goat and her half-brother.

message 22: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) Those goats have no scruples.

message 23: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalee) | 750 comments Larry wrote: "Those goats have no scruples."

Why roam when you can get it at home?

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie (agrunwe) I've moved once in my life. I'm going to college this fall, but I'm not going to really count that as my home base will still be... my house.
And we're still just ten minutes from my family's old house.

My family has been in this area for generations. I hope to stay here, too, which I guess is an odd wish for an eighteen year old.

message 25: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I've been thinking about this question for the last week or so and I'm still not entirely sure of my answer. I'm not counting moving back after moving to one place. So I'm going with six.

If I were to move again I'd get rid of a ton. There's not much here worth carrying somewhere else, but I'm too lazy to get rid of it when there's no pressing need.

message 26: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Also, I don't know that I've ever said hi, Annie, so hello, thanks for posting, you seem quite cool for an eighteen year old. I mean that in a good way:)

message 27: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 777 comments I resented my parents for moving so much. I always got so angry and sad and scared when they said we were going to move again. But now that I'm 49 I know I would have had a completely different life if we hadn't moved. It's interesting to think about.

message 28: by Dave (new)

Dave Wood (pocket7976) I've moved 6 times in my life but always in the same town.

My family have lived in the same town for at least 5 generations never really tried to track it back any farther than that.