Johnson County Library Teen Reading Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past Summer Reading Discussions > Do you think Harry Potter books will become classics read by future generations? Or will their appeal wane with time?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (purplepenmore) | 31 comments Mod
I think there is a very good possibility that this series will stand the test of time.

message 2: by Zach (new)

Zach | 26 comments This series will be a classic, the Huck Finn of our generation

message 3: by Hunter (new)

Hunter (hunterthestarwarssaga) | 13 comments I think by sheer popularity they will continue

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I think that Harry Potter will be popular for quite a while. There are so many younger fans right now, and I'm planning on forcing my kids to read them. They might think we are weird, though, because future generations will probably have remakes and call our movies old fashioned or something like that.

message 5: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 24 comments THE MAGIC WILL NEVER END!!!!

But seriously, I do think the series will remain popular forever. However, the appeal may wear off as the 'Potter generation' grows up and a new generation is replaced because the next generation won't be able to experience what we have... like the excitement of new movies coming out. Plus, a new series will most likely become popular and there won't be as many Harry Potter fans in the younger generations as there are now.

message 6: by Zach (new)

Zach | 26 comments I think she will write more books just not about Harry but other people in the world of wizards

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I sure hope she writes more books...

message 8: by Polly (new)

Polly | 13 comments These books are so good that I think they will last a very long time. Even though eventually people might think they are old fashioned I still think they will read and enjoy them. J. K. Rowling is a brilliant writer!!!

message 9: by Leah (new)

Leah | 18 comments I think they will, because of they way they are written. They don't have technology that will become out of date. They are timeless. The movies, however, are a different matter.

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 42 comments MAGIC!!! Definitely!!!

message 11: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Elgersma (meliele) I think once the last movie is out next week and the brouhaha has died down about it the books will wain in popularity but come back as the first batch of Harry Potter readers have kids old enough to read them they'll get popular again.

Just in case anyone missed J.K. Rowling's "big announcement" at the end of June. . .http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2011/06/23/...

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) I woke up at 5:00 am to watch the announcement. I was going to Kentucky and I wanted to make sure that I would have enough time to watch it and be ready to leave at 8:00. But I still would've woken up at 6:00 am to watch it anyway.

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa | 8 comments Defintely become classics. They just have the magic in them to have anyone interested in them.

message 14: by Michael (new)

Michael | 8 comments I think they might not end up being classics, but they probably will end up lasting for a long time. If not, I will make sure my kids read it...

message 15: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 32 comments I think they will be books that will be read and enjoyed by many generations to come. Not only because of their HUGE success worldwide, but also because of the great stories that are told by Rowling.

message 16: by Megan (new)

Megan (megheg) | 4 comments they might not become classics but they will be popular for a long time because HP fans will get their kids to read them and so they will be popular again

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 24 comments "In just a few days, we will heard Hedwig's theme for the last time.
We will visit Hogwarts and fight against Voldemort for the last time.
We will hold up our wands for the last time and cast our final spells.
We will see that Harry Potter logo flash across the screen for the last time.
We will say goodbye to the characters we grew up with for the last time.
In just a few days, we will say goodbye to the trio who has been with us for almost our whole lives.
In just a few days, the books and movies will end.
But we will march on proudly with our heads held high because Harry Potter, the boy who lived, the boy who united millions around the world, will never be over."

I almost cried reading that quote :) Because Harry Potter was what I grew up with, and although the books and movies are ending, the magic will never end, as I said before. Which means they will remain popular forever, because some of us, such as myself, wouldn't know how to survive if they didn't :)

message 18: by Megan (new)

Megan (megheg) | 4 comments me too! I <3 Harry potter and I'm soooooo sad it's over I hope it's popular forever. the boy who lived will live on in our hearts forever

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) Annie wrote: ""In just a few days, we will heard Hedwig's theme for the last time.
We will visit Hogwarts and fight against Voldemort for the last time.
We will hold up our wands for the last time and cast our..."

I am crying. Now after that awesome quote, I have this one for you:
"Harry Potter has reached out to an estimate of 200 countries
Spoke out in over 69 languages
And has touched the lives of more than 40 million people
It is the phenomenon that ignores race, age, gender, and religion
And it has brought us together despite all our differences.
WE ARE THE HARRY POTTER GENERATION

It just kicked in last Friday that this is the last movie, last opening night, last time I'll ever be able to see them on the big screen for a long time. I thought for the longest time that it will be easy watching the 7th movie, but it's not. I can barely think about it without getting tears in my eyes. While I can't wait for the movie, I wish that it there were more to look forward to.

I love how they are doing things to keep Harry Potter alive, like pottermore.com in October. I just realized why they were releasing it then rather than when J.K. Rowling told us about it. To keep the magic alive.
And they have the theme park, which I heard that the Hogwarts castle ride was truly amazing.

message 20: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (purplepenmore) | 31 comments Mod
Pottermore sounds amazing! Do you think that you will visit the website?

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (megheg) | 4 comments I will!! I can't wait until Pottermore comes out!!!

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie (lovetodance) | 24 comments Katie!! I love your quote. I'm about to cry as I head off to the midnight showing...

message 23: by Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (last edited Jul 14, 2011 07:07PM) (new)

Princess Katie, the Random Hot Pink Minotaur (safeandsound) Thanks :) Have fun though! I wish that I could come to it but I want to go when it is less busy and I can go and enjoy watching it without having the chance of people whispering or something behind/in front of me.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.