The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Misfits - Teens with powers behaving badly

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lepton (new)

Lepton | 176 comments Misfits
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misfits_...
http://www.hulu.com/misfits

Been checking out this show all weekend. Kind of like an actually hip, well-written and performed Heroes. To my surprise it won the 2010 BAFTA Television Award for Best Drama Series. Seems to be available on Hulu now.

Truth be told, the shows pretty over the line for American television, i.e. nudity, drug use, murder, so I expect it will be heavily edited on Hulu.

Be prepared though. It is really nothing of substance. It's well produced and pretty well written but ultimately it's a bit of a guilty pleasure.

message 2: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I love 'Misfits', can't wait for the Series 3!

I would be interested to see people reactions, I mean this show is so British, to its very core, I wonder how it'll travel oversees.

And when you say it's nothing of substance... as opposed to what? Sorry, that sounded like I want to pick a fight. :) I don't. I'm just interested at what criteria do you apply to determine if a show is 'of substance'.

Now I'll second you wholeheartedly here - Misfits is pure comedic entertainment - but it does it SO WELL! :)

message 3: by Been (new)

Been | 125 comments I love Misfits, it's the best (and only) series I've seen in the "ASBOs with super-powers" genre. I've only watched up to halfway through series 2 so far, but it's not disappointed me yet. The scene with the packet of nuts was absolutely fantastic!

message 4: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Man, Misfits of Science was the greatest show ever -- twenty times better than the Greatest American Hero.

message 5: by Skip (last edited Jul 05, 2011 10:55AM) (new)

Skip | 517 comments Hulu doesn't edit their shows, they just won't let you watch TV-MA rated material without logging in. I watched the first two episodes and I don't think they cut anything. And, no, much of the content there would not have been able to air on the networks. Late night cable and pay channel material for sure.

message 6: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments The first 3 episodes were available over the independence day weekend in the US on Hulu, not sure if more are available on Hulu plus. I can't say whether it has been edited or not but if it was, they missed alot. If this was to be a US series, it could only be shown on pay networks like HBO.

I'm definitely interested in watching the rest of the series. Other than a few difficulties understanding words/phrases through the accents and right hand drive cars, I haven't seen anything that didn't travel well.

message 7: by Skip (new)

Skip | 517 comments I have Hulu Plus and I only get to episode 4, which they probably just added.

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments If any British or Irish posters missed it when it aired (or if anyone else understands how to work proxy servers), series 1 and 2 are available on 4od.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mi...

message 9: by Lepton (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:06PM) (new)

Lepton | 176 comments Joanna wrote: "And when you say it's nothing of substance... as opposed to what? Sorry, that sounded like I want to pick a fight. :) I don't. I'm just interested at what criteria do you apply to determine if a show is 'of substance'."

I guess when I see that a show has won the BAFTA for best Drama, I'd expect a little more from it than what it is which is basically an excuse for gore, creepiness, teenage-ish sex with nudity, and blue humor.

As to what I would find of substance, I'd say something with some specific moral or intellectual content. For the most part the characters are largely amoral. At best their motivations are "We should do something" and at worst gross self-interest. This is why I prefaced it as teens with powers behaving badly. It's clearly a show meant to shock and titillate with excesses of violence, sex, and/or drug abuse. As I say, little substance, all sizzle.

That this show finds itself in the same company as Life on Mars is a bit tragic for television in the UK.

message 10: by Halbot42 (last edited Jul 05, 2011 08:16PM) (new)

Halbot42 | 185 comments Right there with ya Lepton, I was hooked by the cool music, profanity, and well, pretty graphic sex. Somewhere round the end of the first season though I realized I didn't like any of the characters. I kept thinking a batch of idiot teenagers who kept committing this many murders would just turn against each other fast, much like a reality show cast, then i realized that is probably the demo this show is aiming at.
So I guess I'll probably keep watching, but i wish these losers could have just a small dose of Hiro's heart. Reminds me of the difference tween US and UK office, the original show is just much much meaner, vis a vis when they knock Jim down and take his shoes.

On the other hand, the look on that kid's face in episode 2.1 when he says, "I appear to have SPOILER myself!" is pure comedy gold.

message 11: by Lepton (last edited Jul 05, 2011 09:35PM) (new)

Lepton | 176 comments Sacrilegious I know, but I don't actually find the show funny at all and this is from someone who grew up watching The Young Ones and thinking it was brilliant. Most of the obvious laughs seems to lie with Nathan and I frankly cannot stand the character. There is definitely some kind of reality distortion field in effect when that kid isn't constantly getting punched in the face by whomever is in earshot.

The first honest laugh that I had concerned the scene with the afterbirth. It was no insanely absurd and gross that I had to laugh. It also made me think that the show was pretty smart and aware in that almost any TV birth scene totally ignores the afterbirth, which I think by most accounts takes a lot of the "magic" out of bringing a new life into the world.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Sean wrote: "Man, Misfits of Science was the greatest show ever -- twenty times better than the Greatest American Hero."

I thought this was about some remake of that show.

Now I'm all sad.

message 13: by Noel (new)

Noel Baker | 364 comments Kate wrote: "If any British or Irish posters missed it when it aired (or if anyone else understands how to work proxy servers), series 1 and 2 are available on 4od.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/mi..."

Thanks very much for that Kate. I was meaning to try this series, I'll try series 1 on 4OD.