Camy Tang/Camille Elliot discussion

What are you reading this week (July 4)?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camy (new)

Camy (camytang) | 1293 comments Mod
So what are you guys reading this week? I know lots of you have several books you're reading at once (I do, too).

However, this week I'm catching up on reading for market research, so I'm reading the June Love Inspired Suspense books (on Nookbook, naturally :)

Protecting Her Own by Margaret Daley
Protecting Her Own

Behind the Badge by Susan Sleeman
Behind the Badge

Lawman-in-Charge by Laura Scott
Lawman-in-Charge

Out of Time by Shirlee McCoy
Out of Time

What book(s) are you in the middle of? How do you like it?

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments I'm working on some of my 4 in 1 Barbour Novella's while I wait to get Dead Reckoning by Rachelle McCalla to finish her series. I just finished Love Afloat and now I am reading Prairie Brides.

message 3: by Camy (new)

Those Barbour Novellas are so fun to read! I just read one a few weeks ago. I met Rachelle in NYC this past week! She's soooooo nice!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments Her suspense stories are really good. I have read four of them so far. The Barbour novellas are nice inbetween books as they seem to be easy to read, shorter stories.

message 5: by Camy (new)

I have a hard time finding those Barbour novellas at my local Christian bookstore. They don't tend to stock them--but actually, they don't stock many of the Heartsong Presents books, either.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments CBD usually has them. I get them when they are around .99. A friend let me read all her Heartsongs so I have read alot of the stories even within the books.

message 7: by Camy (new)

I didn't think of CBD!

message 8: by Amancay (new)

Amancay (amancayb) | 33 comments I've got Kristin Billerbeck's newest Perfectly Invisible, in the forefront...

I set aside Reunion once the pre-order (of the aforementioned) was pushed to my kindle... so I'll surely pick it back up once I finish the first.

Still slowly going through Silent Tears: A Journey Of Hope In A Chinese Orphanage (I can only handle/process a chapter or two each day I read it.)

message 9: by Camy (new)

Oh my gosh I totally want to read Kristin's book!

I can understand about only being able to handle a chapter or two a day, I would be the same way.

message 10: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments I get to do a review on a new Barbour book that has 9 stories in it. One is by a new author I heard about on LIH, Debra Ullrick and some others I have read before. Now I have to finish the last 2 stories in Prairie Brides so I can start this new one!

message 11: by Camy (new)

Debra is a wonderful writer! You'll love it!

message 12: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments I'm looking forward to reading her newest book, yup another book on my list along with still wanting your first four and knowing you have more coming. I'm overwhelmed! More so since I got a phone today that is smarter then me. I told my hubby it is smirking at me. He tried to assure me it is not but he's not here to see it. Books may glare back from the shelf and beg to be read but they do smirk at least

message 13: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments I finished a Bridge to a distant star Bridge to a Distant Star A Novel by Carolyn Williford
It was really good and am reading
Shadows on the Sand A Seaside Mystery by Gayle Roper

message 14: by Camy (new)

Judy wrote: "I'm looking forward to reading her newest book, yup another book on my list along with still wanting your first four and knowing you have more coming. I'm overwhelmed! More so since I got a phone t..."

ROFL!!! I'm sure your phone will warm up to you once you give it some TLC. :)

message 15: by Camy (new)

Ausjenny wrote: "I finished a Bridge to a distant star Bridge to a Distant Star A Novel by Carolyn Williford
It was really good and am reading
Shadows on the Sand A Seaside Mystery by Gayle Roper"

Oooh, I want to read Gayle's book. It's on my TBR pile.

message 16: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments its good so far but I got sick again yesterday (so over it) and didn't have the energy to do anything. even being online. today I dont feel quite as bad so hope to get some reading done.

message 17: by Camy (new)

I hope you feel better soon!

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments Thanks Camy. I am so over being sick. HOpefully this is the end of it as I dont want to go through a day like yesterday again in a hurry. Today I just feel so tired and still a little sore but I can keep water down which is a huge plus. One thing its a great day to be indoors as its cold and wet outside.

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (kim94945) | 8 comments Just finished Weddings and Wasabi. Thanks for completing the series! I was sad that it was ending so fast (wanted more) but I enjoyed everything and it even made me tear up near the end. Also, I've found a new song that I LOVE, "Every time I breathe" by Big Daddy Weave! I don't listen to a lot of radio, let alone Christian radio so I'm not always familiar with latest but I absolutely love the song. Thanks for sharing :)

message 20: by Camy (new)

Yayayayayayay! I'm so glad you liked it!!!!! I'm kind of glad you teared up at the end because I was crying a lot while writing the ending of the book! And the reason that song was in the book is because I love it, too!

WOW you just totally made my day today! Thanks!

message 21: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments In the last few days I read Stealing Jake and Deep Trouble. Both excellent books!

message 22: by Camy (new)

That's awesome! Be sure to tell Pam Hillman what you thought of her debut novel! I'm so stinkin' proud of her!

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments I left her a message on facebook and also on your page on facebook about her book.

I tell you Camy that book was powerful. It really hit me about kids on the streets even if it was historical it is still true today.

The historicals always show the Christians as too righteous as well, and then I realized that did not change much either. Too many are quick to condemn rather then help.

So glad you told us about these books and authors and I'm glad to be part of netgalley as well, thanks to you! I'm reading my 2nd Mary Conneally story today and loving that as well.

Unfortunately Harlequin declined me reviewing any books :-(

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments I loved deep trouble. I think its one of Mary's best.

Oh Camy when I was reading this I know its in the Grand Canyon but reading it I thought of Waimea Canyon Kauai while reading it.

message 25: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments Ausjenny, I live in Arizona and our son lives on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I have only been there once when I was 12 (and lived in Illinois) and a year ago February. But it is neat to read a book where you know the area. I especially understood the heat part, although the Canyon area is not as hot as the valley.

We are about 4-5 hours from there.

I am enjoying Mary's book Montana Rose right now.

message 26: by Camy (new)

Judy--I didn't even know Harlequin was on Netgalley. I'm so glad you're enjoying Mary's books and you liked Pam's so much! I visited the Grand Canyon once and loved it! It was beautiful!

Jenny--wow that's cool! I would never have thought of that.

message 27: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments I guess cos I was there in Jan/Feb and it was like WOW it made me think of the area. I know the Grand Canyon is way bigger but just seeing a canyon like the one in Hawaii gave a small idea of what they would have seen. I have a photo of me in front of the canyon on my mantle. It would have been one of top views on the trip.

message 28: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments I've only been to Maui and seen the Volcano crater because we biked down from there.

The picture I have is the Grand Canyon. It was harder to breath up there. Amazing how the air changes.

I'll have to look up the Canyon i Kauai to see what that is, although I know pictures are only a slight glimpse of the real thing.

message 29: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments OH MY! The pics I seen were breathtaking. That must look incredible in real life.

God is the greatest artist and designer ever is He not?

WOW!

message 30: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments It is amazing. we stopped a few times and it was like oh wow. it wasn't the clearest day but it was still breathtaking.
In Maui we went to Haleakala on the bus trip and to the top. I did the walk to the crator and it was good to but the Caynon was way cooler. The Ion needle on Maui was spectactular. The turtles on the Big Island were fun to see also. The major problem with the Maui trip was an elderly couple who a little bit goes a long way. after the afternoon visit somewhere we were driving on the coast and the driver asked if anyone saw whales. The Wife said on yes we saw them from the window. turned to the others you did too didn't you. a couple had but I didn't. I said you should have mentioned it. oh I figured everyone had seen them. Hello Im on the other side of the bus looking up the mountain! The Canadian/chinese couple missed out also.
I took around 1200 photos in Hawaii. (about 40% sunsets). I also got on a Japanesse blog cos I made a ribbon lei and they take photos of all who make them and post our comments. would be cool If I could read Japanese.

message 31: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments Sounds like a wonderful time Jenny.

We went because we won a trip with Nissan (cars) My husband was the Parts/Service Manager when we won that trip from Indiana. We stayed at the Hyatt and everything was payed for plus spending money. The helicopter ride we took we had to pay for. We got rather dizzy though and could not complete our drive on the road to Hana. So we pulled off and watched the wind surfers until our heads and tummies settled down.
The bus ride was scary going up roads that did not seem big enough for the bus.

We also won a cruise to the Abacus Islands.

Since being in Arizona we won a trip to Puerto Vallarta. That was the first trip I truly enjoyed. Our marriage was stronger then ever and I had started to read by then so I actually was content sitting on a chair on the beach reading. All the other trips I was always restless.

message 32: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments Wow you have done well with free trips. I didn't do the road to Hana as I heard its not the best if you get car sick. I would love to win a trip somewhere right now just a few days away would be wonderful.

message 33: by Judy (new)

Judy | 181 comments Nissan has cut back on trips the last few years. I think there is a contest for Las Vegas (it is about a 5 hour drive from here). God has blessed us with these trips. We also had a cruise to Ensenata, Mexico.

I am one of those people who never wanted to go to Hawaii but have missed the smells ever since I was there! The plane trip back was so bad though it took about 3 weeks before I could remember I enjoyed the days we had there. It was one of my first flights ever.

message 34: by Camy (last edited Jul 11, 2011 03:26AM) (new)

WOW Judy you've had so many neat trips!

Jenny and Judy, I have TOTALLY gotten sick on that road to Hana. Yuck!

message 35: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments I read the reviews about the road and thought no I get carsick to easily. although 2 hours shopping at I forget the place starts with a L.

message 36: by Camy (last edited Jul 11, 2011 04:23AM) (new)

Lahaina is fun. Hana was NOT worth the barfing.

message 37: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments Oh Thats it. Just I didn't realise the tour included 2 - 2 and a half hours shopping. I would have rather spend a little longer at the Ion Needle as we didn't have long enough there. I did look through a missionary house there.

message 38: by Camy (new)

The Ion needle was awesome! I loved that.

message 39: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments Oh and I finished Shadows on the sand it was a really good read. worst issue if you have the book is the pages are thin and I dont know how many times I turned two pages instead of one.

I just loved the nature in Hawaii. There is so much to see but not enough time. would you believe I didn't even get into the ocean!

message 40: by Camy (new)

That's too bad! I love the ocean in Hawaii better than anywhere else I've been. But maybe the oceans in Australia are just as nice so it wouldn't have been that big a deal for you.

message 41: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments I live about 1 hour from a beach thats country hour. but I dont get there often. I walked the edge but I think part of it was I was on my own and didn't want to leave a towel etc unattended. But I looked at the sunset every night I could and loved the nature there. I guess I wanted to do more sightseeing and experiencing Hawaii and yes you are right we have beaches. Hey did you know the sand on Wiakiki Beach comes from Australia.

message 42: by Camy (new)

LOL I didn't know that. I love the beaches best on Lanai, rather than Oahu or Maui.

message 43: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 225 comments It was one of those facts a tour guide mentioned. evidently there wasn't much sand there before so they imported it. the north beaches is natural. It was one of the many useful or useless facts I learnt. Oh my favourite thing I learnt was how to say delicious beef appertizers in Hawaiian.