Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Incorrect edition information

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jschornick) | 2 comments ISBN13 9780553381696 is listed here:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10...
Paperback
969 pages
Blue cover

However, I have this book (with matching ISBN13), and the above does not match. It is a much better match to this listing:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...
Trade Paperback
761 pages
Purple cover

Can someone please update the editions?

message 2: by Vicky (last edited Jul 04, 2011 08:34AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2459 comments The first book you linked was published in 2002, the second book was a republication in 2005 reusing the ISBN number. So both listings are correct.

The second listing is the alternate cover edition for the ISBN in question. Unfortunately we can only have one book per ISBN in the database, so the ISBN can not be added to the alt-cover edition - but that's most likely the one you'll want to add.

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I added a note to the description, too, to help avoid confusion for those who aren't librarians. :)

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jschornick) | 2 comments Thanks, Vicky.

It's unfortunate that Goodreads' database can't handle duplicate ISBNs gracefully... guess we'll just have to work around the limitations.

While I'd agree my edition is likely some alt-cover reprint that does indeed share the ISBN, the Goodreads listing still seems suspect. The page count of the original edition is listed elsewhere on the web as 768pp, not anywhere near 969. That latter page count seems much more like what you'd find in the mass market edition.

I'll switch over to the one that makes the most sense, regardless of ISBN. Thanks again for the clarification!

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23234 comments Worldcat agrees with 761 pages so I've amended it.