Karachi discussion

Hello

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Assalam Alaikum,

I joined a Pakistan group recently to get closer to my roots, sadly it was over run by Punjabi's who were driving me crazy, so back on safer lands...

not much of a community on here, but it may build up, now that I've arived. :D

message 2: by Zeeshan (new)

Zeeshan Raza (zeeshanraza) | 107 comments Mod
W.salam,

well, same here. I realized there were no proper community here for Karachiites, therefore created one :-), glad you are here now and I too hope it keeps on growing with nice people.

message 3: by Javed (last edited Jul 26, 2011 04:08AM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Hi there,

Have joined in hoping to have constructive literary discussions. Anything related to reading or different facets of fiction writing, I would love to talk about.

Pertaining to Saad's remark on 'Pakistan' group, I did join in recently and found out that the only thing ppl talked about over there is politics and more politics.

Nothing wrong with political mud slinging if it confirms to someone's fetish I suppose, though my only problem with the discussions over there was it was all being done on a forum of a website that is primarily dedicated to readers and writers of fiction (and non fiction) around the world.

message 4: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Lev_Boy wrote: "Hi there,

Have joined in hoping to have constructive literary discussions. Anything related to reading or different facets of fiction writing, I would love to talk about.

Pertaining to Saad's re..."

My problem was not those discussions, I could have certainly ignored them but my main trouble was that they werent doing any activity related to books.

I hope that my experience here would be better than before.

message 5: by Javed (last edited Aug 27, 2011 07:16AM) (new)

Javed Hayat (javed_hayat) Paras wrote: "Lev_Boy wrote: "Hi there,

Pertain..."

Glad to know I wasnt the only one who thought there was something seriously wrong going over there.

doing any activity related to books ...

Well, by the look of it, it seemed as if the word books was something of a taboo over there. And the sheer mention of which would only have inspired some insipid head scratching!

message 6: by Baneen (new)

Baneen | 31 comments Hey, I'm Baneen from Karachi. I got invited to this group.

message 7: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
Welcome Baneen. Hope you enjoy :)

message 8: by Baneen (new)

Baneen | 31 comments thnk u:)

message 9: by Zeeshan (new)

welcome :-)

message 10: by Baneen (new)

Baneen | 31 comments :)

message 11: by Zeeshan (new)

We are glad to have you here :-). Enjoy..!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Qurratulain what have you been reading recently do tell us.

message 13: by Omar (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Hi all, I am Omer from Karachi. A newcomer at gr. Its nice to be here, looking forward to some exciting reads!

message 14: by Omar (last edited Oct 17, 2012 10:27AM) (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Well, its a bit of a desert here, isnt it. All but shutters down, or so it seems...

message 15: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments Hello Omer! I agree, its all so Silent hill in this grup now. Paras where are youuu

message 16: by Omar (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Ayesha wrote: "Hello Omer! I agree, its all so Silent hill in this grup now. Paras where are youuu"

Hello Ayesha. Its Silent Hill without all the excitement ...

message 17: by Ayesha (new)

Ayesha (AyeshaM) | 26 comments Well if there was excitement the point would be moot but hey since we're here its not all dead :3

Glad you've joined, what's your favorite read?

message 18: by Omar (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Ayesha wrote: "Well if there was excitement the point would be moot but hey since we're here its not all dead :3"

Touche! And thanks.

My favs? Well, it starts from Les Miserables, East of Eden, Suttree and the list goes on.

Do tell me about your fav ones?

message 19: by Parsa, the obsessive reader (new)

Parsa | 176 comments Mod
I was probably watching silent hill back then :P

Howz everyone reading

message 20: by Ammara (new)

Ammara | 7 comments hi em ammara from karachi. glad to join this group

message 21: by Muddasir (new)

Muddasir | 4 comments Assalam-o-Alaikum / Hello To Everyone:

Hoping you all would be fine, I am Muddasir from Karachi. Glad to know about other persons and their reading stuff. This forum provides an opportunity to share new information and guiding & motivating to new or potential writers.

Recently, I also have been engaged in creative writing for Oxford Uni. Press Pakistan irrespective it is not my profession but passion While I am Student & Financial Modeler.

Sharing suggestions, ideas & promoting reading culture.

Best regards,
Muddasir.

message 22: by Omar (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Hello Muddasir,

Glad you could join us. I am a Karachite like urself here.

And regarding what you said in your opening para,

"Hoping you all would be fine, I am Muddasir from Karachi. Glad to know about other persons and their reading stuff. This forum provides an opportunity to share new information and guiding & motivating to new or potential writers."

Well, I shared the same sentiments when I first joined GR, and went on to follow the local forums. I am afraid that the forum, the ones owned/crowded by Pakistanis at least, don't offer any of the things u mentioned above.

There are NO readers here, (With the exception of Paras, the admin) and most of them don't read either well enough or consistently enough to be able to write anything worth a glance.

Its just a procrastination tub where an occasional dabbler would dip his head in every fortnight or two!

message 23: by Muddasir (new)

Muddasir | 4 comments Omar wrote: "Hello Muddasir,

And regarding what you said in your opening para,

"Hoping you all would be fine, I am Muddasir from Karachi. Glad to kn..."

It is good to speak truth while there is such kind of mindset we should try to do best for personal learning.

Best wishes

Muddasir.

message 24: by Omar (new)

Omar Hayat (OmarHayat) | 7 comments Muddasir wrote: "Omar wrote: "Hello Muddasir,

You are welcome.

As an aside, if it is fiction writing you want to work, then I would like to recommend a writer's social network site.

'House of Writers' http://houseofwriters.ning.com/

Its a great place to learn.

message 25: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad Ahmed Siddiqui (lifeisbooks) | 2 comments Yusra wrote: "Asalamu alaikum wa rehmatullah! :-)

I'm really excited to have found this group, guys, so I apologise in advance because I can feel a looooong and enthusiastic introduction coming on!!!!

So - whe..."

walaikum assalam

loved your views about Islam, Pakistan and especially Karachi.
best of luck for your book

message 26: by Haris (new)

Haris Farooq (hfarooq) | 1 comments hi,

I am haris, currently doing job in a software house. looking for some interesting titles over here on goodreads... mainly focused on self helping, spirituality. hope to have some good results :)