Reader's Ink discussion

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
For those of you who read or are reading Geraldine Brooks's "March," what are your thoughts? How does that book compare to Lost Summer? Which did you prefer? Which version of Bronson/Mr. March did you find more compelling?

message 2: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I found the March version of Bronson / Mr. March much more compelling. Flawed but still likable, I could understand why his wife would love and support him, why his daughters would miss him so much.

About halfway through March, I realized what I think is the difference between the two (and this is entirely my own theory). Geraldine Brooks tried to get into Bronson Alcott's head and understand him. As a result, he came across as an actual person. On the other hand, I got the feeling in Lost Summer that Kelly O'Connor McNees didn't like Bronson and didn't make much effort to understand him, leaving him a flat, creepy and selfish character.

Am I alone in feeling that one version was a person while the other was a character?

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
Well put, Lauren! And isn't it ironic that Bronson was the actual person and Mr. March was a character?

I loved March. LOVED IT. It's genius. Brooks is a far better writer than McNees, and she was much more audacious in her plotting, characters, and tone.