Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > How to list characters properly in anthologies

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cathy (last edited Jul 23, 2011 02:16AM) (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 13 comments Is there a good way to list character names in anthologies? I'm reading Chicks Kick Butt and I'd like to list the primary characters in the stories since a number of the authors have several popular series, but even though all of the authors are listed on the book, only the primary author is available to choose from when it comes to choosing characters. I see that someone already added one additional character from a series by another author (Abby from Rachel Vincent's Shifter's series) but that could get a lot messier in the long run than just leaving the information off. Characters written by one author shouldn't be listed under another author just to shoehorn them into getting them listed into this one book. Is there a good way to do this, or should I just delete the info on Abby and hope that people are consistent? Wrong info is always such a mess to clean up on the long run. But having those character links would helpful for people who search for books based on clicking on a favorite character, I'd hate for the information to just get lost. Any suggestions on how to do this properly?

message 2: by Cathy (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 13 comments No one has commented on this and it's been here for a while, is it in the wrong place? I'm just to getting suggestions very quickly in the help forums. Can someone suggest where I should post this question to get an answer or discussion started, please?

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23747 comments Cathy, when I list characters for anthologies, I just put them in like normal. Didn't think about it affecting author character lists. Happily I haven't done many.

The only thing I could suggest you do is to PM Rivka. If there is no consensus or there is an answer, she would know.

message 4: by Shay (new)

Shay | 179 comments You can always list them in the book description section. I noticed that for that particular book the authors of the individual short story have been listed in the description.

message 5: by Cathy (last edited Jul 23, 2011 10:23PM) (new)

Cathy  (cathygreytfriend) | 13 comments That's a good idea. I don't usually think to edit the book description, I usually just go with whatever is on the book cover or the Amazon or B&N listing. I'll think about that, if it doesn't seem too unwieldy. Maybe just having the series listings is enough. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a better way. Maybe I'll put in a request for the never-ending-to-do-list. Or asking Rivka directly is a good idea too. Thanks for replying, you guys!