What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Hero of Downways
This topic is about The Hero of Downways
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. sci-fi book set on another planet with monsters and booming alerts [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
I read this book untold eons ago--possibly as early as the late 70's. Its set in a human colony on another world. There are "monsters" that attack the colony periodically, but there is an alarm set by the original settlers that makes a "booming" type noise. In the past there was a hero who managed to kill off monsters and the colonists kept some of his dna and when they start having really bad problems with the monsters again, they clone him.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Meg (new)

Meg (spiraling) | 21 comments Some of the elements are reminiscent of an Orson Scott Card short story, I think it's called "I Put My Blue Genes" on and you can find it in Maps in a Mirror or Unaccompanied sonata & other stories. Also, the Wikipedia page might be of use.

The wiki page says it was published in Analog magazine in 1978.

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Aug 05, 2011 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Going by what the Wiki page said--its definately NOT I PUT MY BLUE GENES ON. That's set on Earth, and this is definately another planet.

It COULD be a short story (a long one) or a novella, its been a LOT of years since I read it. And I think it wasn't "new" when I read it, either. What I remember has a 50's or 60's "feel" to it, if you know what I mean?

And going by the plot synopsis of the Herbert book, that's not it either. Altho the cover looks like the right era. There is no "computer" in the book I remember (or at least, I don't remember one) and there was no worshipping except maybe of the "hero" type for the clone of the previous saviour.

bump

message 5: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 780 comments Could be 'The hero Of Downways'.I read this sometime in the 70's.As the review says, pure pulp fiction.

"Fantastic pulp writing from relative unknown Michael G Coney. Set some time after world war 3 people have moved underground living in rat burrows under the surface. Their most feared creature is the Daggertooth, a vicious man-eating creature. The Hero was a man that slayed the Daggertooth, though died in the ensuing battle. This man has become a legend, so the Elders of Downways choose to clone him. There is much more to this novel than what I have mentioned, including a few twists at the end. If you enjoy Sci-Fi or Post Apocalyptic fiction, you really can't go wrong looking for this book."

that looks like it MIGHT be the book Sue. I've gone over to Amazon and ordered a copy. Glad that I bumped this. :o)

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 1382 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "that looks like it MIGHT be the book Sue. I've gone over to Amazon and ordered a copy. Glad that I bumped this. :o)"

Please return and let us know for sure. Thanks, Ann.

solved. Thanks Sue.