Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Favorites & Recommendations > Which One First??

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by alhafizol (new)

alhafizol | 1 comments Hi, Guys!!

I'm CJ from Malaysia and am a new member of Koontzland.I am a fan of Thriller, Mystery & Horror books. I heard lots oF great things about Dean Koontz books. Surprisingly, I haven't read any of his novels just yet. So, please help me by recommending what book of I should pick up first??

Thanks my friends!!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments My favorite is Relentless but I love the Odd Thomas and Frankenstein series.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (emahh1) | 66 comments I think his older books are better, Dragon Tears, Phantoms, Night Chills, Midnight, but they are really in need of an update. The tech that is out now would make most of these books moot.

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 29 comments The Bad Place, The Watchers ,I agree with Emily in that his earlier books were the best but I,m reading What the night Knows and it is just great, with D.K,s books you just read them, there is no getting into them you are in from page one.

message 5: by Jaice (new)

Jaice Cooperrider (plasborgma) | 1299 comments I'll recommend my favorite, From the Corner of His Eye.

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina Fontaine (marina_fontaine) | 103 comments I think Lightning is the best first read - that's how I got my husband into Koontz. Great plot and characters, not too long, not too violent, just the right amount of philosophical/moral stuff for a beginner. A lot of people I know (myself included) had Watchers as their first book, but the level of violence may be a turnoff for a first timer.

message 7: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5993 comments Mod
I recommend Life Expectancy because it has clowns in it :-)
Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 528 comments DC, you know a lot of people are afraid of clowns.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 29 comments yes DC, some of us are actually petrified of them.

message 10: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Hi, Guys!!

I'm CJ from Malaysia and am a new member of Koontzland.I am a fan of Thriller, Mystery & Horror books. I heard lots oF great things about Dean Koontz books. Surprisingly, I haven't read any of his novels just yet. So, please help me by recommending what book of I should pick up first??

Thanks my friends!!

Hi, CJ! Welcome to Koontzland.:)

For your first DK read, I cannot recommend The Bad Place nearly high enough.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (annalese) | 29 comments great choice

message 12: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

I still say Life Expectancy because it has clowns :-)
Life Expectancy by Dean Koontz

but if you are afraid of clowns, I would suggest By The Light of the Moon or Cold Fire.

By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

message 13: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Anne wrote: "great choice"

The Bad Place, you mean?

message 14: by Ciscokid (new)

Ciscokid | 7 comments My first Koontz book was Watchers and it got me hooked.

message 15: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Sep 02, 2011 08:43AM) (new)

Ciscokid wrote: "My first Koontz book was Watchers and it got me hooked."

You and most other Koontz addicts, but not me. Watchers my first Dean Koontz book but it wasn't until a year later that Velocity hooked and nailed me down.
Watchers by Dean Koontz Velocity by Dean Koontz

message 16: by Nora aka Diva (new)

Nora aka Diva (DuctTapeDiva) | 246 comments Midnight was my first Koontz book & the one that got me addicted as a teenager. :) Still one of my favorites too.

message 17: by Nina (new)

Nina (merlin_contemplation) | 4 comments I recommend The Mask. It was the first Dean Koontz book I ever read and it is a great starting point to see how his writing style evolves.

message 18: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Nina wrote: "I recommend The Mask. It was the first Dean Koontz book I ever read and it is a great starting point to see how his writing style evolves."

I just bought The Mask on audiobook. For anyone interested, www.audiobookstand.com currently has the mask on unabridged CD for only $10 :-) Free shipping on orders of $50 or more. Several other Koontz titles are also $10 or less. This is a great deal for those of you who are still old school like me and listening to CDs.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy C (Kazikat) Can't say it enough, my first two Koontz books wer Intensity and Velocity- both great and I couldn't put them down. Thats where I started and highly recommend them!!!

message 20: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments DEAN KOONTZ: SERIES READING ORDER: MY READING CHECKLIST: ODD THOMAS SERIES, FRANKENSTEIN SERIES, INNOCENCE SERIES, SANTA'S TWINS, MOONLIGHT BAY, MIKE TUCKER, GRAPHIC NOVELS. Amazon alerted me to this Kindle Book. Self explanatory. What order do series books go in? When did DK write what? It's interactive.

message 21: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Diane, it looks like that is only a reading checklist. You have it listed as "currently reading" so let us know if it is anything more than a list. only 12 pages.

message 22: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments Dustin that is all it is. I have to change the currently reading part. It came up like that when I was checking it out. It's a what comes or came first list.

message 23: by Rick Abrahamian (new)

Rick Abrahamian | 1 comments The Bad Place then Lightning then Twilight Eyes then Velocity then The Taking

message 24: by Stephanie (last edited Oct 26, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Stephanie Newhouse I HAVE to recommend "Intensity." I have read many of DK's books before and after this one, but Intensity remains my absolute favorite. It grabs you right from the start! In more vague terms, I'd recommend anything he wrote from the late 80s to mid 90s (many of which are listed above).

message 25: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Newhouse Kathy wrote: "Can't say it enough, my first two Koontz books wer Intensity and Velocity- both great and I couldn't put them down. Thats where I started and highly recommend them!!!"

Couldn't agree with you more!

message 26: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments What was my first Dean Koontz book? 77 Shadow Street was my first book that bought me to koontzland. Not very first. I MUST figure this out!

message 27: by Diane Lynch (new)

Diane Lynch (dianedesmarrstlynch) | 470 comments 77 Shadow Street was Awesome!

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael Houle | 20 comments Why is Watchers so often a reader's first DK book? Does anyone know? It was my first, but I can't remember why I picked it up. Was it his first bestseller? Wasn't there a movie based on it? I'm just curious.

message 29: by Mary (last edited Oct 26, 2016 05:52PM) (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 356 comments alhafizol wrote: "Hi, Guys!!

I'm CJ from Malaysia and am a new member of Koontzland.I am a fan of Thriller, Mystery & Horror books. I heard lots oF great things about Dean Koontz books. Surprisingly, I haven't rea..."

I would say, start with Intensity, Lightning, Velocity -- any of these. Oh, or From the Corner of His Eye. :)

message 30: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 454 comments Michael. Watchers is one of Dean's earliest books so those of us who have been reading him the longest started with Watchers.....there is a movie but they changed up the lead characters a bit!! Lol
Strangers The Bad Place. By the Light of the Moon. Life Expectancy. From the Corner of His Eye. Lightening Those are all good books to start with for any new reader

message 31: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Michael wrote: "Why is Watchers so often a reader's first DK book? Does anyone know? It was my first, but I can't remember why I picked it up. Was it his first bestseller? Wasn't there a movie based o..."

Dean is most well-known for Watchers and Odd Thomas. I will admit Watchers was the first Dean Koontz book I read as well :-)

message 32: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

Michael wrote: "Why is Watchers so often a reader's first DK book? Does anyone know? It was my first, but I can't remember why I picked it up. Was it his first bestseller? Wasn't there a movie based o..."

Although Dean had other Best-Sellers before Watchers (Demon Seed - also made into a film for example), Watchers marked a significant high point in Dean's career. Watchers was published in 1987, Strangers was published in 1986, Lightning in 1988, The Bad Place in 1989.

Be sure to vote on our group poll to select your favorite Dean Koontz Novel written during the late 80's :-)
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/2...

message 33: by Michael (new)

Michael Houle | 20 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Michael wrote: "Why is Watchers so often a reader's first DK book? Does anyone know? It was my first, but I can't remember why I picked it up. Was it his first bestseller? Wasn't there..."
Thanks for the tip on the poll. I didn't know about it.

message 34: by Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new)

You are welcome. To view all the group polls, simply scroll to the upper left of this page & click the POLLS link.

There are also more discussion topics. Only the most recently active topics show on the group home page. You can click DISCUSSION or DISCUSSION BOARD links to find older topics.