ESS readers discussion

Introduce yourself...

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Towner (robtowner) | 17 comments Mod
Say hello, let us know what you are about :)

message 2: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 9 comments I’m all about Rob ; )
… and books and smiles and coffee. I read a lot of different things but the sweet and simple, fantastical yet completely believable stories always bring me Home ; ) My new list of favorite visionaries: Kenneth Grahame, Arnold Lobel, Roald Dahl, Rob Towner, A.A. Milne, Lewis Carroll, Dr. Seuss, Madeline L’Engle …

Cheers! Cup of coffee Pictures, Images and Photos

message 3: by Chantelle (new)

Chantelle | 2 comments Hey guys!

Books, music, science and the arts :) Just like Marianne COFFEE!! I read alot of different styles and severly need to update what I have read. Many authors have shapped my reading and I hope to one day have an exceptional library with each book writen by all of them.

:D

message 4: by Rev (new)

Rev Gary Hey There,
Whwn I joined Goodreads. I saw people enjoyonh YA bboks. I read one and was hooked. I am rliving my childhood:reading those booke I did as a child. Am Lutheran pastor who loves reading all kinds of books.

message 5: by Rob (new)

I have a feeling we are all going to turn into super really best friends!!! :)

message 6: by Dominique (last edited Jul 04, 2011 06:44AM) (new)

Dominique Hello!
I'm a real bookworm, I especially love these stories that take me back to my childhood, it's incredible! I love this site...

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Hi everyone,

I love to read (who doesn't here?) and I've always had an interest in writing.

message 8: by Shannon (new)

Shannon Lorraine (o_myword) | 2 comments Hello World,

I am an Aussie lass who loves to read, pretty much anything, with no real structure. I was born and bred in Wagga Wagga, NSW and after moving around for a few years I finally decided, "I am a Country-Girl at heart" (Minus the horses and poop).
I write a little for fun, and by fun I mean 'I usually don't edit' *frowns nervously* but it's fun.
I LOVE Tobsha Learner and the way she tells a story. Usually in a very child-like adult way. Her creativity never ceases to amaze me.
Patrick Rothfuss is a world of wisdom and Charlene Harris, Well... She just cracks me up!

I grew up with Dr. Seuss, and those crazy adventurous books paved the way for how I read as an adult. I'm not afraid to relive children's books or Adult authors who's stories are just as crazy as them. It's all apart of the fun. Mr Rob Towners stories are just another avenue for giggles.. And I love giggles.

Nice too meet you all.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone! I am practically new here in goodreads and somebody recommended the site to know good books... I am from the Philippines and enjoy reading novels that thrills me or those that make me laugh. Nice to meet everyone here and happy reading!

message 10: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Seuss wrote: "Hi everyone! I am practically new here in goodreads and somebody recommended the site to know good books... I am from the Philippines and enjoy reading novels that thrills me or those that make me ..."

Hi Seuss, Welcome to Goodreads (GR). It's a wonderful community with awesome members who love to read! If you need any help navigating GR just let us know and we'll be happy to help you.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks for the warm welcome Colleen. Indeed, I am having a good time in GR. I get to see what books I plan to read and it is nice to read reviews from people. At the end of the day, it is really up to us if we enjoy or hate the book we are reading. Happy reading! :-D

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (skwoodiwiss) | 1 comments Thanks for the invite, I really appreciate the opportunity. I love short stories, extremely short or otherwise.
-Sandra Woodiwiss

message 13: by Julieanne (new)

Julieanne (ysoriel) | 1 comments Hey everyone! Nice meeting you all :)I am author of The Shadows Trilogy and love meeting new people, talking books and drinking good beer! ;)

message 14: by Rob (new)

Welcome friends!! So nice to read all your commenty thingsies :)

message 15: by Ed (new)

Ed Rambeau (edrambeau) | 1 comments Thanks for the invitation to join this group, Rob. Any member of this group may remember me (assuming they're old enough, that is). For further details, please feel free to visit my website and discover my illustrious past.

http://www.edrambeau.com

Thanks again and have a great week, Ed.

message 16: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Bailey (jsbailey) My name is Jenn (but as an author I go by "J. S."), and my first novel The Land Beyond the Portal is due to be released on July 12. I like reading suspense, mystery, horror, and some young adult novels. I am addicted to Mexican food and spend way too much time on the Internet. Any questions?

message 17: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Welcome J.S. and Allie :)

message 18: by Penelope (new)

Penelope Marzec (penelopemarzec) | 1 comments I spent twenty-five years teaching young children--so I love short stories with pictures. :^) However, I've only written romances, though I've considered branching out.

I have written some short romantic stories which I have available for free on my website.

Short stories are fun!

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 7 comments I live on the Mid Nth Coast of NSW Australia and I write humourous children's books. (I also love reading funny children's books.)

I've published three and I'm enjoying writing the sequels from my home office overlooking the kangaroos and wallabies in my garden.

I'm also a member of a wildlife rescue for orphaned and injured native animals and have had guinea pigs living in my lounge room for eight years.

I'm a nanna and enjoy playing in parks and reading funny stories to my two little grandchildren, oh and practical jokes. :)

I love reading when I'm not writing and illustrating. I also love bush walking and having a good laugh. I see a funny story in almost everything. I did say almost.

I also write books for reluctant readers and have a series started. They're really gross where the kids are mischievous, the adults really mean, and the children always win in the end.

Oh, I forgot to say, I'm a compulsive talker. LOL.

message 20: by Ka (new)

Ka Hancock (ka_bookeater) | 1 comments Hello, Got an extra special invite from Rob to join this group and since I don't know anyone from Australia, I said sure! So I'm a mom, a wife, a nurse and a writer. I love to read and talk books. Not completely sure I'm going to get in to extremely short stories, but what the heck. Bring on the ESS's.

message 21: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 7 comments Hi Ka, I joined this group 'cause it sounded fun, but I write children's chapter books and MG fiction. I also do my illustrations and write songs for all my characters to sing in the stories.

What genre do you write?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi!! I'm nat,
I try to get out there, i'm all about, the moment, and yes, I'm a hopeless romantic... who isn't? :) *rhetorical question btw*.. cos some people actually reply..

Oh, and I HAVE NO IDEA what this group is about but who doesn't love short stories?

message 23: by KaSonndra (new)

KaSonndra Leigh (alestasia) | 2 comments Michael wrote: "I left North Carolina in December 1999 and moved to Asia, where I've lived ever since. I've been married to a lovely Australian lady for over ten years, and to a lovely Calico cat for about a month..."

Hi Michael,

Which part of North Carolina did you live in?

message 24: by KaSonndra (new)

KaSonndra Leigh (alestasia) | 2 comments Hello ESS members,

My name is KaSonndra Leigh. I'm a YA author who lives in beautiful North Carolina. I love writing, love reading, am attempting to master the short story structure (my short stories tend to become novellas) and have a debut novel launching on December 6th. Coffee is one of my best friends, along with new age music (great for writing in libraries) and gardening (super tonic for writer's block). I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and maybe exchanging a few tips on mastering the short story structure.

Yours in Prose,
KaSonndra Leigh
Author of When Copper Suns Fall

message 25: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 9 comments Patricia wrote: "I live on the Mid Nth Coast of NSW Australia and I write humourous children's books. (I also love reading funny children's books.)

I've published three and I'm enjoying writing the sequels from my..."

fun! ; )

message 26: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 7 comments Marianne wrote: "I’m all about Rob ; )
… and books and smiles and coffee. I read a lot of different things but the sweet and simple, fantastical yet completely believable stories always bring me Home ; ) My new l..."

Hi Marianne, I love Roald Dahl too. He's my favourite author. :)

message 27: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 9 comments Do you have a favorite story? Hard to choose, but for me it's probably The Witches or Matilda : )

message 28: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Puddle (trishapuddle) | 7 comments Marianne, for me, it is definitely Matilda, though I love all of them. I also like George's Marvellous Medicine. The granny in that is a crack up. LOL. But I love The Witches too.

message 29: by Marianne (new)

Marianne | 9 comments : )

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

call me lady grieffinger, I made out of anger
everything I touch turns into blue
and when I hold it all feels cold

message 31: by Scarlet Nell (new)

Scarlet Nell June | 6 comments hello
I'm Scarlet, I'm a book worm (well, everyone are just that) I'm a musicholic ( I have no idea if that's even a word), I'm a big fan of Rob hhhhhhhhh, what else????
OH! I'm in love with writing (aren't we all????????)

message 32: by Sharon (new)

Sharon  | 1 comments Just saying hi. Thanks for invite. Favourite kids book well a recent one would be the Very Cranky Bear, a character I dressed as for book week a couple of years ago, so I think that counts as silliness. Iam also very fond of Terry Pratchett and have been known to dress as a Nac mac feggle, more silliness. I read a lot across many genres, I work in libraries and where would life be without silliness.

message 33: by Rares (new)

Rares Flueras (awesomeh4x) | 1 comments Happy holidays!

message 34: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (bookbakebronx) | 1 comments Hello out there,
My name's Lauren and I do indeed enjoy "extremely short stories" : ) Say, I teach 8th grade students (mostly 13-14 years old) and would love to do some flash fiction with them. If anyone has come across any short short stories that would be appropriate for that age, please let me know.
Merry Christmas!
-Lauren

message 35: by Astrid (new)

Astrid (astridquarry) | 2 comments Hi guys! Merry Christmas and all that :)

I'm Astrid, and writing and reading are my two favourite things. Dancing and swimming come close though!
My all time favourite author is John Steinbeck, which is unusual because most of everything else I read and write is YA fantasy (my favourites in that genre being Libba Bray, Margo Lanagan and Sarah Rees Brennan).
I'm working on my own novel at the moment, but who knows when/if it'll ever see the light of day. But that's not why I do it :)

message 36: by Nina (new)

Nina (ninadangelo) | 1 comments Hi everyone, I'm Nina and like everyone else love to read, and drink coffee. I also am a freelance music Journalist and photographer, who is currently working on my first novel.

My favorite authors are widespread as I read widely but among the list I enjoy reading Cormac McCarthy, Anne Rice, James Patterson, Patricia Cornwell, Charlaine Harris and much more.

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnareadstheworld) 'Allo 'allo 'allo. Thanks for the add Rob! So, I'm Donna, I'm all about stories - I don't have a favourite genre, I'll try anything (except chicklit, not a fan!) - if a story excites me I'm hooked. I do have a soft spot for Roald Dahl, though!

message 38: by Ron (new)

Ron II | 1 comments I have a short attention span, so this group suits my needs quite well. Comedic writing is what I like best and stuff with pictures.

Right now I'm reading the Bible, A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole and Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bordain.

In December, I just published my first book "Gents with No Cents: A Closer Look at Wall Street, its Customers, Financial Regulators and the Media." I think everyone should get a copy, but then again, I'm a biased sun of a gun.

message 39: by David (new)

David Fleming (davidwallacefleming) Extremely short stories are what I've been all about for the past year or so. I have a blog where I've been working for some time to develop new techniques (hoping to better capture people's attention on the web) but I won't link to it now because I don't want to spam on my first post.

I believe one of the potential "tricks" to writing ESS is to maintain some, however slight, conflict and narrative arc. I've managed to get a story I was pleased with down to around 600 words. Then, putting it up on a blog helps a writer quickly know how the work compares with his other longer pieces.

600 words is no coincidence since it seems the most successful creative nonfiction blog posts with which I compete are about that long.

Blogging short fiction seems to have a flattery bias (from reviewers) whereas using online critique groups seems to have a negativity bias. Both methods of work evaluation can, I guess, be useful depending upon one's intent.