Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Setting Year to reflect BC / BCE

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 20 comments This is a bit superfluous. I can't recall how to do this and can't find the instructions after searching about for about an hour today..

I'm trying to set this for the the book settings (in one place) and also the publication year for another item.

Help? Thanks in advance. =)

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments I don't think there is an explicit way that has been discussed in the group.

If you look at the Iliad - then someone has added as -750 whether it is appropriate or not to do that is up for discussion I would of thought or rivka maybe able to say yah or nay on it.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 3: by Kiri (new)

Kiri | 20 comments Thank you. Until further instruction I'll use that method. =)

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
If it works, I don't see any problem with it. (At some point, I think the field was rejecting negative numbers. I gather that got fixed a ways back.)

message 5: by Adam (new)

Adam | 23 comments All I know is that BCE is the preferred way of writing this in terms of historical documentation these days.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments You can always go over to the feedback group and suggest a drop down box with "BC" and "AD" or whatever. Of course, then there will be the controversy over BC/BCE. There's always drama. :)

message 7: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 1051 comments Beth wrote: "You can always go over to the feedback group and suggest a drop down box with "BC" and "AD" or whatever. Of course, then there will be the controversy over BC/BCE."

To argue over BC or BCE would really be splitting hairs. :D

message 8: by Adam (new)

Adam | 23 comments Maybe, but BCE really would be the more accurate of the two.

message 9: by Gerd (last edited Jul 03, 2011 06:42AM) (new)

Gerd | 1051 comments I dunno BC was good enough for two thousand years, far as I'm concernd it can last another two, besides, it's only one letter. :)

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments See? lol...

message 11: by ♥Meagan♥ (new)

♥Meagan♥ (fadedrainbows) | 10 comments Gerd wrote: "I dunno BC was good enough for two thousand years, far as I'm concernd it can last another two, besides, it's only one letter. :)"

On the other hand, things change for a reason and BC/AD isn't the correct way to do it.....

message 12: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments ::snort:: Point proven. Maybe we should just stick to the negative numbers.

message 13: by Adam (new)

Adam | 23 comments Negative numbers would probably be the easiest for the goodreads system to handle.

At least that would make sense in accounting for the Common Error anyway.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments And it's Common ERA.

message 15: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Although, there's something rather appropriate about calling it the Common Error these days....

message 16: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments And offensive, imho.

message 17: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Alas, everything offends someone.

message 18: by Codex (new)

Codex | 3401 comments “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
—William Shakespeare
[Sorry, couldn’t resist.]

message 19: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 874 comments Perfect quote, and too true.

message 20: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 12 comments What makes me crazy is people who should know better putting A.D. at the end of the year.