What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED: Short story, scif-fi, future, ugly ballerinas, man w/ ear implant [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KT (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

KT | 7 comments Okay, this is killing me!! Here's the synopsis to the best of my memory:
It was set in a future where the government enforced equality by placing handicaps on everyone. There was a married couple(man and woman) and the man had an ear implant that beeped(or something like that) every 3 minutes(or something like that) to stop him from forming any complex thoughts. The couple was watching a ballet on t.v. and all the ballerinas were wearing ugly masks and their feet were chained so that they couldn't be graceful(or something like that). Then a man came on the screen and tore the chains apart and tried(maybe he succeeded, I don't remember) to carry on of the ballerinas away. And the couple realized that the man on t.v. was their son, but it didn't really seem to bother them(I think the father started to get upset, but then forgot after his implant beeped).
I read this story in 2002 out of a fairly new high school freshman reader. There was something about the style of writing or the cover image of the story that suggested to me that it was kind of modern, but I was only 14 at the time, so I could be wrong. The reader also had Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder" (the story that inspired the movie The Butterfly Effect)
Thanks everyone for reading this!!

message 2: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

Laura (laurahogan) | 72 comments You're thinking of Harrison Bergeron, by Kurt Vonnegut.

message 3: by rivka (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

rivka | 303 comments Link to the story: http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave...

It is indeed marvelous.

message 4: by KT (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:03PM) (new)

KT | 7 comments Wow. I didn't expect a response so fast! Thank you so much! I really love that story!!