Coffee & Books discussion

Bookish! > Where do you get your books from?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 335 (335 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2955 comments Mod
Tell me where you find your books? From friends? From a book store? From thrift stores?

message 2: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

I mainly get my books from Barnes and Nobles since I have two located VERY close to me. I also like indulging in starbucks when I go. SO convenient !

message 3: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) I like going to Borders, but lately I've been very short on cash, so I've just been using the library instead, though the library here doesn't have the best selection.

message 4: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Krysta wrote: "I like going to Borders, but lately I've been very short on cash, so I've just been using the library instead, though the library here doesn't have the best selection."

I love libraries, the one by my house is really poor on books as well. Where I used to live I had a fantastic selection of books but now that I have moved the one near me is sort of dingy.

message 5: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) My library has something against me; I paid like, fifty dollars for a book they claim I "lost" (which I had for a little while; but I found it and returned it), and are still saying I have a fine. So, no library for me.

So I go to Borders or Goodwill/Value Village/thrift stories where they're pretty cheap. Even YA books are still considered "children's", so you can get a book for about seventy cents.

I go to Borders when I'm feeling rich, or there's a book I want that I can't find at Goodwill.

message 6: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Thalia wrote: "My library has something against me; I paid like, fifty dollars for a book they claim I "lost" (which I had for a little while; but I found it and returned it), and are still saying I have a fine. ..."
I never realized you could buy books at Goodwill. Some one told me recently. I really need to go to mine.

message 7: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Well, it's a coin toss on whether they'll have anything you want. Usually when I go in there, I'm looking for the last five Goosebumps books that are missing from my collection. But since I already have a ton of older books (mostly from the Borders card I get for Christmas every year), I usually only buy books when I really need to read something. Otherwise, I just read what I already have.

message 8: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Thalia wrote: "Well, it's a coin toss on whether they'll have anything you want. Usually when I go in there, I'm looking for the last five Goosebumps books that are missing from my collection. But since I already..."

Very true. I get alot of books from my grandma because she sends me them so I normally dont go out to buy books all the time.

But even if I have free time I go into book stores and just sit on the floor and read some.

message 9: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I used to do that a lot too; but then I got depressed over the fact that I couldn't buy them, hahaha. Borders is kind of across town from me, so I only make a point to go over there if I have money to buy something.

message 10: by Sasha (new)

Sasha | 4 comments The library near me has a good selection of books for sale, most are as low as a dollar. I get carried away and buy to many and never getting round to reading some of them though :)

message 11: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Thalia wrote: "Well, it's a coin toss on whether they'll have anything you want. Usually when I go in there, I'm looking for the last five Goosebumps books that are missing from my collection. But since I already..."

I used to LOVE the Goosebumps series!
I almost had the whole set, but I don't know what happened to them all. I think we may have donated them. =(

message 12: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Oh no! That's awful! :[

I don't think I'll ever bring myself to let mine go! I got my start on collecting them from my older brothers and I plan on handing them down to my kids (when I have them). <3

message 13: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Bahh!
I actually wasn't allowed to read Fear Street for the longest time. When I was eight or something I read "The Cat" from the series and freaked me out for the longest time, so I was banned until I was older. x)

message 14: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Haha, my parents never banned me from reading anything because they were just so happy I was reading.
I remember one time in particular that I sprawled across the floor in the hall of my house and read two Goosebump books in a day.
Man, I wish I still had those.

I've never read Fear Street books...

message 15: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I think Goosebumps were the first books I read, hahaha. Since my brothers had quite a few, and I just kept collecting them because they were so sentimental.

I don't know, my parents were never like, surprised or really happy I enjoyed to read. It's like they expected it, so I had rules and stuff laid out for reading, just like anything else. XD

I can't misplace my books, either. I keep them all perfectly on the shelf unless I'm reading them, hahah.

message 16: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Thalia wrote: "I think Goosebumps were the first books I read, hahaha. Since my brothers had quite a few, and I just kept collecting them because they were so sentimental.

I don't know, my parents were never lik..."

I'm anal about my books now but when I was younger I wasn't so careful with them.
For instance, I like to keep series' all together and in order...I like to keep them in size order (larger, hardcover books on the left, down to the smaller ones)...I like to keep them looking like new where my fiance likes to fold them and bend them and make them look like they've gone through a war zone by the time he is finished!

message 17: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Oh man! I hate when people bust up their books! I can't even stand when my spine has a crease!

When I was much younger, I had a nasty habit of bending paperbacks in and out while I was reading. So by the time I was done, I'd have the AWFUL curved crease on the front, since I just like the feel of the paper moving. That was a nasty habit to break. :/

message 18: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Thalia wrote: "Oh man! I hate when people bust up their books! I can't even stand when my spine has a crease!

When I was much younger, I had a nasty habit of bending paperbacks in and out while I was reading. So..."

I hate it too!
Luckily my fiance doesn't read much, and when he does read, it's not the same genres as me by a long shot! I love him, but he's not allowed to touch my books!

I almost prefer hardcover just because they make it impossible to bend the cover back!

message 19: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I still love paperbacks; I usually only buy a hardcover when I HAVE to; just that feeling of being able to bend the cover if I wanted to is helpful. I'm like an addict, hahaha.

Men. I feel like they don't know how to treat books nicely, hahhaa.

message 20: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Thalia wrote: "I still love paperbacks; I usually only buy a hardcover when I HAVE to; just that feeling of being able to bend the cover if I wanted to is helpful. I'm like an addict, hahaha.

Men. I feel like th..."

I don't really prefer one over the other, but I do prefer books to e-books. I like the smell and feel of a book in my hands.

Haha...I think I have to agree with you there.

message 21: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I'm at ends at if I ever want to get an ebook. My parents sometimes ask me what I think (maybe to get one as a gift or something), but I just don't know. :/ I like seeing shelves fill up, and I'm converting my brother's old room into a library, so I need hard copies to make it look like I actually have books!

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth1234561) | 13 comments I get books from garage sales, my gram, borrowed books from the library, Book World, Walmart, church sales, book sales @ the library, and kmart. Then there's the Dragonwings Bookstore that I keep wanting to go into but always end up busy for some reason.. I have so many books I probably shouldn't go book shopping for awhile!

message 23: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "I get books from garage sales, my gram, borrowed books from the library, Book World, Walmart, church sales, book sales @ the library, and kmart. Then there's the Dragonwings Bookstore that I keep w..."

Thats awesome! I really need to find a good library by me!

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth1234561) | 13 comments Thalia wrote: "I still love paperbacks; I usually only buy a hardcover when I HAVE to; just that feeling of being able to bend the cover if I wanted to is helpful. I'm like an addict, hahaha.

Men. I feel like th..."

Paperbacks are my absolute favorite. Even when it's new it feels old. When I see a hardcover it just feels newer I guess.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth1234561) | 13 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I get books from garage sales, my gram, borrowed books from the library, Book World, Walmart, church sales, book sales @ the library, and kmart. Then there's the Dragonwings Books..."

I'm not sure how it is with everybody's libraries but with mine a bunch of the libraries are all hooked together and you can order your books online and most of the time they'll have just about any book you want because there's so many different libraries. It's pretty much every library within a 2 hour radius.

message 26: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I get books from garage sales, my gram, borrowed books from the library, Book World, Walmart, church sales, book sales @ the library, and kmart. Then there's t..."

Oh wow! My library is not like that unfortunately! But I must go in there more often

message 27: by Krysta (new)

Krysta (krystafig) Elizabeth wrote: "I'm not sure how it is with everybody's libraries but with mine a bunch of..."

Back in San Diego the library was like that.

Here, they are too, but on a MUCH smaller scale. They don't have HALF the books my San Diego library did because there aren't 1/4 of the libraries.

message 28: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (bookworm17) I try to use the library when I can. I love going to the library, however, the one here in town is too small for me! Don't get me wrong, I still think it's pretty fabulous, but the selection can be very limited...

I also use a lot of secondhand stores around. For instance, there's this great little store a few miles away that lets you trade in books for store credit towards other books, which is nice for someone wanting to swap out their collection for some new stuff! I love that. Also, I currently work in a bookstore that sells gently used books for really good prices, so I buy some from there as well. Every once in a while, if I want a new book, I'll get it through Amazon too. I rarely ever go to B&N, but when I do, I usually scour their bargain book section for good sales.

message 29: by KatyO (new)

KatyO I usually buy my books in a book store called Thalia, which is the biggest one we have in Austria.... but very often I also buy books online from amazon, because it´s a lot cheaper!
Also, I got an e-book reader last year for christmas, so sometimes I download books, but maily for when I´m travelling, because normally I prefer real books ;-)
I also sometimes go to the library, but at the moment I can´t because my handbag got stolen twice when I was in Italy for half a year to study, and so all of my library cards are gone and I didn´t have time to replace them yet ;-)

message 30: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphreads) The city I live in lost its Barnes & Noble last year. Then we lost a Borders. Then we lost the other Borders. SIIIIGH. So now the closest B&N or Borders (well, borders no more), is about 40 mils away. hrmph. I used to really like going into Borders to browse or lounge, and I signed up for their bonus rewards program (the PAID one) less than 2 weeks before they announced the closing of the 2nd store. I'm a bit peeved about that. /rant

When I lived in Canada, I used to go to a book store that a friend of mine owned for used books, and for new books I went to Chapters (like Borders). I can't do that anymore of course. So now I haven't really decided where to get my books. I have only lived here for about a year and a 1/2 and know of 2 used book stores in town, plus a locally owned 'new' book store. I know a lot of people love the tight spaces of cramped bookshelves in small stores, but it makes me feel really claustrophobic, so I don't venture in them much. :( Lately I've ordered some online, or borrowed from the library.
That was rambly... lol

message 31: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

It is really sad Borders is closing.

i definitely do go in to Barnes and Nobles just to lounge. It is such a nice feeling in there, considering I dont really have a library with good quality books near me

message 32: by Marla (new)

Marla I get my books from Kobo for my eReader. Found I was getting way to many paperbacks with no place to store them. This way I can have all the books I want and they take up no room at all. Also when a book has not come out in paperback I can get it for the same price as the paperback.

Love it

message 33: by Kathy Anne (new)

Kathy Anne (kathyanne) Amazon

message 34: by cazdoll (new)

cazdoll | 20 comments I get my books from second hand shops and sometimes they are nearly pretty new looking,I also use my library :)

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris (Tino8787) | 7 comments Well, if I bought new I always went to Borders. But now they're closing :-( Other than that I usually go to Downtown Books in Milwaukee (http://www.downtownbooksonline.com). Three stories of awesome :) They're pretty much guaranteed to have whatever it is your looking for. It's the place to go for "that one thing" you've been looking for. They have an online business too. I also go to Half Price Books. The library is also a pretty reliable spot :)

message 36: by Michele (new)

Michele I get most of my books from PaperbackSwap.com. The rest I buy from Goodwill (they have book-only store near my house), Half-Price Books (clearance rack unless it is a "bookclub" read), or the annual library book sale. Rarely do I pay full price for a book, unless someone gives me a gift card.

message 37: by Aaron (new)

Aaron McQuiston | 10 comments So I used to have a huge collection of books. I bought them used mostly but there were a few new ones in the collection. This was when I had a house and family and was slowly dying. After the things fell apart and got an apartment, I realized that there was no room for so many books so I bit the bullet, so to speak, and bought an e-reader. Now I'm not too happy with it, would much rather be holding a book, but realistically, this is the best choice for me right now. It's not a sob story, I promise, just justification for having an e-reader. No big deal.

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 60 comments I buy books from Powell's or Barnes & Noble, but I get the majority of my books from the library. I also have a Kindle, but mostly stick to downloading classics, free special promotions, and sometimes things I really want when Amazon does big Kindle sales. But I have to say, I've discovered some fun free things through it.

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele I would LOVE an e-reader but I have a huge collection of books and I cannot justfy the expense with all the at-hand reading material I have right now! So my goal is to get my TBR pile down to less than 75 books before I will "let" my husband buy me an e-reader! I am TRYING to be good, really I am!

message 40: by Brette (new)

Brette (brettemaeve13) | 5 comments If it's not Barnes and Noble, which it most always is, it's a small mom and pop bookstore. I'm not sold on the whole EReader thing so I still trek to the bookstore :)

message 41: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Brette wrote: "If it's not Barnes and Noble, which it most always is, it's a small mom and pop bookstore. I'm not sold on the whole EReader thing so I still trek to the bookstore :)"

I do too! And I end up being in there, with my delicious Chai tea or coffee, hours on end. They know me now

message 42: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericacoffeebooksgoodreadscom) | 10 comments I buy books from anywhere that sells books i bought one at liquer store befor

message 43: by Brette (new)

Brette (brettemaeve13) | 5 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "Brette wrote: "If it's not Barnes and Noble, which it most always is, it's a small mom and pop bookstore. I'm not sold on the whole EReader thing so I still trek to the bookstore :)"

I do too! An..."

Haha. Barnes and Noble just has the perfect environment for it!!!!

message 44: by Aaron (new)

Aaron McQuiston | 10 comments Erica wrote: "I buy books from anywhere that sells books i bought one at liquer store befor"

I'm curious how cool that liquor store was. the liquor stores around me only sell adult magazines.

message 45: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Brette wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Brette wrote: "If it's not Barnes and Noble, which it most always is, it's a small mom and pop bookstore. I'm not sold on the whole EReader thing so I still trek to the bookstor..."

It really does. Definitely a cozy place!

message 46: by Erica (new)

Erica (ericacoffeebooksgoodreadscom) | 10 comments Brette wrote: "Rachel Skye wrote: "Brette wrote: "If it's not Barnes and Noble, which it most always is, it's a small mom and pop bookstore. I'm not sold on the whole EReader thing so I still trek to the bookstor..."

lol it a small town one

An Extremely Avid Reader's Reviews (literarymary) I used to get books from Borders but they're closing. I also get books from Amazon since they're cheaper. Now I have the Kindle which it's the cheapest and easiest. Almost all classics are free. If not they cost $1. Newer books are about 1/2 price on the Kindle than in retail bookstore prices.

message 48: by ♔ VEE ♔ (new)

♔ VEE ♔ | 5 comments I get books from the library, its convenient for me because I work there and if they don't have a book or series that I want to read I request an order for it =) verrrrrrrrry cool and best of all its FREE. We also get books donated to us at the library which patrons and staff can purchase for $1 a piece, and I mean NEW recently released books that people bought, finished and discarded. I haven't paid for a book in 2 years and I have shelves full =D

message 49: by ♔ VEE ♔ (new)

♔ VEE ♔ | 5 comments I mean not paid full price lol

message 50: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Veronica wrote: "I get books from the library, its convenient for me because I work there and if they don't have a book or series that I want to read I request an order for it =) verrrrrrrrry cool and best of all i..."

I am so extremely jealous of that hookup you have!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7