Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Think one of these two has the wrong ISBN

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matt (new)

Matt Gibson (gothick) | 6 comments Hi all,

On importing Andy Clarke's Hardboiled Web Design, which definitely has the ISBN 9781907828001 on the back barcode, goodreads detects it as A Practical Guide to Designing with Data.

The goodreads page for _Designing with Data_ shows ISBN 9781907828001, but clicking on the Amazon link throws you on the _Hardboiled Web Design_ product page, and Amazon have a different ISBN for _Designing with Data_.

Not sure which is right, as I only have one of these books, but like I said, the physical paper books of Hardboiled Web Design (and I believe I have the only edition printed so far) is barcoded 9781907828001, so it looks to me like the ISBN on _Designing with Data_ may be wrong.

Cheers,

Matt

message 2: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Okay...it looked that way to me, too...enough that I started to change it...then I did a google search on the isbn, and came up with this: http://www.anobii.com/books/A_Practic...

It looks like the isbn was assigned, at least at one point, to Designing with Data.

I'm going to wait for input from other librarians...reused id (Designing with Data was only published in 2010)...or mistake? I thought it might be a new edition with a new title, but it looks like a completely different book/different author. Worldcat shows it as being Hardboiled Web Design.

I'm still leaning towards mistake.

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Gibson (gothick) | 6 comments I've just asked the publisher on Twitter! Maybe they can shed some light :)

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23209 comments Trouble is ISBNs do get re-assigned to other works by other authors. Is it the same publisher of both books?

message 5: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments I agree, Sandra...but both are published in 2010...I've never seen it reassigned in the same year.

message 6: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23209 comments I once had 2 new ebooks, by different authors, same publisher with the same ISBN. Obviously a mistake that they never fixed. I just did a librarian note.

message 7: by Beth (new)

Beth (bethjustbeth) | 1586 comments Weird.

message 8: by Matt (last edited Jul 11, 2011 06:35AM) (new)

Matt Gibson (gothick) | 6 comments Haven't had a reply from the publisher yet, but they do have both books with (different) ISBNs on their website, and as far as I know there's only been one (paper) edition of each:

Hardboiled: 978-1-907828-01-0: http://www.fivesimplesteps.com/produc...

Data: 978-0-9561740-8-6: http://www.fivesimplesteps.com/produc...

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23209 comments That looks pretty conclusive to me Matt. I'll go and fix it if it hasn't already been done.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 23209 comments Yep, it had been done, but I did a little tidying. For Hardboiled the ISBN has been assigned to the ebook. I've done a note for the paperback.

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt Gibson (gothick) | 6 comments Fab. Thanks for that!