Musings discussion

Debates > Evolution or Intelligent Design?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 134 comments Mod
What do you think? Do you have your own theory? Why do you think the other side is wrong?

message 2: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Evolution is the truth. Isn't the term intelligent design? I haven't heard simple design before...

message 3: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Probably is, I was just going off the song by Breaking Benjamin...'-_-
And why do you disagree with intelligent design?

message 4: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) I have given up my faith in god... (I haven't told you that have I...) I'm atheist now. I agree with science and reason. I don't follow an invisible man in the sky (I sound like Nathan...)

message 5: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Yeah, you really do sound like Nathan...but that's a good thing in my book x] Hurrah :)

message 6: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Lol I've noticed I'm using some of his arguments in other debate groups, it's kinda odd. Oh well lol.

message 7: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

I've used the same arguments as him even before I met him '-_- It's cause there's not really much else to say, imo. >.<

message 8: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) lol true.

message 9: by Dileepa (new)

Dileepa (dileepa_k) | 5 comments evolution. :) because if we accept intelligent design, the question arises as to what is the cause/begining of the phenomena, supernatural power that did this intelligent design. what is the cause beginning of that? is that power also is a result of another intelligent design? or did it came into being naturally?

message 10: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Does there have to be an either/or solution ?

We have found, even on our own planet the limits of our knowledge.

message 11: by ♥ Rachel♥ (last edited Jul 08, 2011 06:03PM) (new)

That's true...it's hard to know for sure sometimes...however, I don't believe in a God at all, so a natural creation of sorts is the only option, and although there are probably other theories, evolution seems to make the most sense.

So do you have your own theory at all, Ice? Or do you just think we can't ever know for sure?

message 12: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Ice wrote: "Does there have to be an either/or solution ?

We have found, even on our own planet the limits of our knowledge."

No there are more options those are just the two most intelligent. There is also creationism and a few others.

message 13: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) I should preface to say that I have a faith in God.

I reconcile my belief with evolution along the following lines....

Dileepa was hinting at the law of thermo dynamics, the third I think, about the start point.

Rather than take a literal approach to a 7 day creation, I see this as evolution over passages of time.

There are distinct gaps in nature that seem to reduce the effectiveness of evolution. One being mankind. It may be due to the relative short time period of recorded history.

Having said all that, my concern is more with present and future than past.

message 14: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

How is mankind a gap in nature?

But yes, of course things evolved over time.

message 15: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Why do we have no close competition in our environment, unlike all other species ?

message 16: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

You mean, species-wise? Because our brains are at a different level, allowing us to invent stuff like firearms and all that, but the evolution of that is well known.

message 17: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) Like Rachel said, our brains are just so much more highly developed.

message 18: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Why - evolution suggests that there should be some interim stages.

But I guess unlike Bees we cannot triangulate our position or like Bats/Owls drive by echo location. We thus have not reached perfection.

message 19: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) There have been interim stages for humans, Home Habilis, Homo Erectus, Homo Sapiens Archaic, Homo sapiens neandertalensis, and finally our current form Homo sapiens sapiens.

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Exactly, our evolution is really well-known :P

message 21: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) But evolution does not stop, so previous stages ought to exist still

message 22: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) I don't quite understand what you're saying... Humans are traced back further then what I posted... Those are just the ones in the "Homo" category.

message 23: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Yes but the interim stages should still exist.

message 24: by Cody (new)

Cody (rolinor) They do... Those are the interim stages. There is very little variation between those, do some research. http://www.onelife.com/evolve/manev.html here read this.

message 25: by Ice (new)

Ice Bear (neilar) Thanks, I was not convinced enough to change my mind. This is only one conjecture, and the gap (continuous mutations to change the language) seem unanswered. Best we agree to differ.

message 26: by ♥ Rachel♥ (new)

Ice wrote: "But evolution does not stop, so previous stages ought to exist still"

They went extinct, I think partially because the following stage would crowd it out :P