Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Susan Adriani
This topic is about Susan Adriani
Questions > Book republished with new title, combine?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 25 comments Newbie librarian here. Not sure where to put this question and maybe I overlooked this in the manual but here goes. When a book is republished under a totally new title are the books considered two separate works or should they be combined? Also, I had combined them last night and then browser crashed, checked it today and only the one book and cover showed up. I then separated them so both title and covers would show up. What is the correct procedure in this case?

I put this disclaimer "(This book was previously self-published as Affinity and Affection)" as the author has it on her page, at the top of the book description. Is there another place or way this can be displayed?

Last question, regarding adding author photo. How do we know if it is 'fair use'? Or what is considered 'justification'? I assume 'link to source' would be web url?

Thanks so much,
Dawn

message 2: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Yes, when a book is republished under a new title, the books should be combined. The only exception would be if the text of the books is substantially different.

You can add a Librarian note that shows up on the combine page. That would be the best way to prevent another Librarian from accidentally separating them.

They're rather picky about author photos. Unless the author puts photos on some sort of "for promotional use" webpage, it's probably best to contact the author (or perhaps the publisher) directly.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Dawn wrote: "Newbie librarian here."

Welcome. :)

Dawn wrote: "When a book is republished under a totally new title are the books considered two separate works or should they be combined?"

Combined. This happens all the time with UK/US editions.

Dawn wrote: "only the one book and cover showed up."

Where?

Dawn wrote: "I put this disclaimer "(This book was previously self-published as Affinity and Affection)" as the author has it on her page, at the top of the book description. Is there another place or way this can be displayed?"

Sounds fine. Adding a Librarian's Note (from the book's edit page) is also a good idea.

Dawn wrote: "Last question, regarding adding author photo."

If the author is alive, or was in the past several decades, then you would need the permission of the person who holds the copyright on the photo (can be the author, their publisher, the photographer, etc.) to use the photo. FAIR USE DOES NOT (usually) APPLY to images of people. It does help for cover images, in many cases.

Photos of authors who have been deceased for a long time (the exact time period varies, I believe) have probably entered the public domain.

message 4: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 25 comments I wrote the author to ask permission to use the photo and casually suggested that she could join (hope that was okay). Hope to hear back from her after the holiday.

The book in question was originally self-published in 2008 as Affinity and Affection, it was picked up by a mainstream publisher and retitled as The Truth About Mr. Darcy and republished in May of this year. There was some editing but no storyline changes according to site, but I will ask when I hear back from her. Only the first title and cover showed up when I combined them, so I separated them since I figure people looking for the new release would get confused seeing the totally different cover and title. How do I get both copies to show up once they are combined? Or will they only show as 'other editions'?

I will try adding the Librarian note tomorrow and post back here when done just so you guys can check and make sure I did it correctly.

Thanks for the help.

message 5: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments You're welcome to ask any author to join Goodreads.

Sounds like it's essentially the same book. I would combine them. Unfortunately, you will only see the most popular edition listed under the author's works.

message 6: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 25 comments Thank you, Rivka and Rebecca, for your help. I wasn't sure if I was over stepping any bounds by asking her to join, which is why I casually mentioned it. When she responds I will make the invitation more clear, or is there an official invite link that I could send her?

First, I re-combined the books again. This message showed up at top of the combined editions page "1 works with 3 books were successfully combined", but four are shown. http://www.goodreads.com/book/combine... Just for clarification, the "1 works" refers to the original publication and the "3 books" the reissues? Or should that be "1 works" and "4 books"?

I added the Librarian note, after combining the books, for each new issue, should I add it also to the original edition? People looking up the author to find The Truth About Mr. Darcy won't be able to get to it from the author's page, right? Is there anyway to note that or link to it? Or is it just a matter of the new paperback surpassing the previous issue in popularity? Also I listed the new ones as 'reissue' in the edition box, is that the correct way?

This is my first big change, please check out that I did these changes correctly.

Have a safe and happy 4th!
Dawn

message 7: by Kim (new)

Kim | 604 comments Dawn you might want to provide her with this link - http://www.goodreads.com/author/program

message 8: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 593 comments Looks good Dawn. I did add a note to the description of the original book indicating the re-release title.

I'm not sure why it said 3 books rather than 4 books on the combine page, but that was a transitory message, and everything is combined correctly.

I think you included a sufficient number of Librarian notes.

The link Kim provided is appropriate to introduce an author to the Goodreads Author program.

Happy 4th.

message 9: by Dawn (& Ron) (new)

Dawn (& Ron) (furryreaders) | 25 comments Thanks for adding it to the original edition, I will know to do that in the future. Did I not need to do the Librarian note for each issue? Is it only necessary for one issue? Other than that, I am glad to know I did it right, big learning experience. Now I feel a bit more confident going forward.

I will include the link in my reply, unless of course she seems entirely resistant to joining. Can't imagine why an author would be but you never know.

Having a happier 4th now that one of my dogs has stopped barking at the fireworks, hope the same for everyone else.

Dawn

message 10: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Mar 14, 2013 12:29AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments I'm glad that I saw this thread so that I didn't create a new one. It was also my understanding that books republished under new title/cover, without substantial alterations to content, were to be combined. However, I then saw this:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/edit/16...

The original book is here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...
(I added "1st edition" to all 3 editions prior to planned combine but then saw the librarian's note and stopped.)

Although some changes were made to the original version, it's my understanding that they were more corrective re: plot holes/story flow, vs. new content/storyline. Could someone provide some guidance as to how much re-working would be required before a book is considered "new" so that a new page (vs. a new edition) should be created?

Thanks so much.

etc: missed "vs."

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42044 comments Mod
Those definitely need combining. Done, and Note changed.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Thank you for the quick response. Will help as I may have found another similar situation. Cheers!

message 13: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) (katiebabs) Hi all maybe you can help me.

There is some confusion on one of my books. Hot Buzz http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13... was formerly Good Vibrations with Decadent Publishing, but Decadent has cancelled the book and they don't sell it under the title Good Vibrations or the cover because the right were reverted back to the author, KT Grant: http://ktgrnt.wordpress.com/2012/08/2...

For some reason this keeps changing by a GRs librarian adding the old title and cover of Good Vibrations, which isn't sold anywhereHot Buzz has been out since August 2013 for publication. There is no such thing as Good Vibration by KT Grant, only Hot Buzz by KT Grant.

How can this be stopped from changing the cover, title and to a publish that doesn't publish this title?

message 14: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments I'll chime in here to answer at least part of that. If an edition of a book was ever published - no matter if it is no longer published, out of print, whatever - the book record is not overwritten by a new title, new edition, new anything. A second edition of that book is created and then combined with any existing editions.

This is true even if a new title is given to the book.

message 15: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) (katiebabs) Monique wrote: "I'll chime in here to answer at least part of that. If an edition of a book was ever published - no matter if it is no longer published, out of print, whatever - the book record is not overwritten..."

So how would I go ahead and combined the original with a second edition?

message 16: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments Usually, unless you have Librarian status, you would post in the Librarian group that the books need combining with links to the books. I *think* but I could be wrong, that only Librarians can do combines.

If you open a book record, on the top right there is a box that says "Other Editions". Just to the right is the word combine. If you see that, you should be able to combine the books that need it.

message 17: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Mar 14, 2013 02:32PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments If I may add, I've also seen a short note added to book blurbs for the older/original versions. Something along the lines of "This book has been re-published as "ABC" by "XYZ" or "This book has been revised and re-published as "ABC".

As general FYI, see http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/32....

ETA: *lol* Katie, for some reason, the link for "Hot Buzz" in your post #13 goes to "The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :-)

message 18: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) (katiebabs) ETA: soon wrote: "If I may add, I've also seen a short note added to book blurbs for the older/original versions. Something along the lines of "This book has been re-published as "ABC" by "XYZ" or "This book has be..."

O.o.

So I added Hot Buzz as a new book, so how do I combine that with Good Vibrations?

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments They are now combined, Katie.

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments Katie(babs) wrote: "... So I added Hot Buzz as a new book, so how do I combine that with Good Vibrations?"

Katie, out of curiosity, I just checked and seems as if you or someone else already did the combine. When I search GR for "Grant Hot Buzz" (see http://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=...), it pulls up "Good Vibrations". I went to the book page and I can already see the new edition for "Hot Buzz".

If you don't mind, may I make some minor corrective changes?

message 21: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) (katiebabs) Monique wrote: "They are now combined, Katie."

ETA: soon wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "... So I added Hot Buzz as a new book, so how do I combine that with Good Vibrations?"

Katie, out of curiosity, I just checked and seems as if you or someone else already did t..."

Awesome! Thanks so much!

message 22: by Katie(babs) (new)

Katie(babs) (katiebabs) ETA: soon wrote: "Katie(babs) wrote: "... So I added Hot Buzz as a new book, so how do I combine that with Good Vibrations?"

Katie, out of curiosity, I just checked and seems as if you or someone else already did t..."

Sure!

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (karma_bites) | 947 comments OK, think that you're all set. Thanks for indulging in my tiny OCD quirk. :-)