Quilt, Read, Eat, Sleep.... What Else Is There? discussion

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy Iliff (JudyI) | 301 comments Mod
Wow! Hard to believe it's the first of July already! Even harder for us, I think, because we haven't had many hot days. It was fairly warm (what I would consider hot but Glenn does not) here in the middle of the week. Jaci, my niece, said it was 102 in Rapid City, SD, on Wednesday! So, today we had the a/c off again since it didn't get above 73; tomorrow, however, it goes into the 80s again, and I'll turn the a/c on - again! LOL!

Quilt camp was great. I set an all new world's record and completed an entire block in 1.5 days! LOL! After 16 years, it's gotten to be a joke because I never finish anything while I'm there. I spend a lot of time "flitting" and visiting and taking breaks and seeing what is going on in other classes. When my aunt was on the board of directors, she would have a fit because I didn't finish anything. I told her I really didn't have to do anything - I'd paid for the class and I didn't have to follow a bell schedule in the summer like I had to during the school year. :-)

My friend Eileen and I stayed at my brother's cabin and drove back and forth. It's always a pretty drive even with all the construction that is being done on the highway. We really didn't have to wait too long for the pilot car at any time, and we got to visit with one of the flaggers Wednesday evening because we were the first in line.

My sil is a voracious reader. It's always fun to talk with her about books. I came back with a list of books to read. I need to get through many of the ones I've downloaded, and many of the virtual books I have that all need to be read.

I'm excited about the quilt I started at camp. The pattern is Gallantly Streaming. I'm using all batiks which is no surprise since that's basically what I used in all of my quilts. I bought a jelly roll, though, which is surprising. I don't usually enjoy using jelly rolls/layered cakes, etc, but for this project it worked really well.

We have no big plans for this weekend, well at least I don't. I think Glenn will work outside a lot. I will sit outside and read, and I will work on the new quilt in between. :-) BTW, Kris the remodeling guy, got a lot done in Glenn's room while I was gone. He's now making the shelves! Yea! That means he'll be ready to move into the studio to fix all the cabinets and shelves whose paint has changed color.

Have a great Fourth of July weekend!

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Welcome home Judy. Quilting retreats are exactly what you made of it - fun. No more no less. I don't think there is anything that should have to be done. I looked up your pattern on line http://www.cozyquilt.com/aspx/Product... and it looks very fun. I'd chose batik strips as well. Very colorful and the Bali Pops that are available are just yummy.

Please, please, please share with us your SIL's reading list. We all need to add more books to our list. I always enjoy finding out about new books that I had not ever heard of before that people really like. The latest book that I want to read that a girlfriend told me about is Doc: A Novel by Mary Doria Russell. I got my library book club to put it on our to read list.

It's simply gorgeous here in Wenatchee WA today. We'll be out in the yard for a bit this morning, then need to run some errands and then it's into the sewing room for me. My goal of 10 Sylivia's Bridal Quilt blocks per month is within reach. I've got 2 left to do for June. I know it's now officially July, but I started this very late in the week. So these are my June blocks and I will do July's block later this month.

Bob's out washing the car while I catch up on e-mails and such. It's a wonderful day!

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) I'm writing this from our family's summer cottage where until recently we didn't have TV and this afternoon I just figured out how to tether my laptop to my cellphone to get internet! Ain't technology wonderful? (Of course, having Internet at the cottage is both a good thing and a bad thing, LOL.) The first thing I checked was Facebook. The second was GoodReads--yay!

I didn't bring much in the way of quilt projects up with me because I didn't want to haul all the supplies since I'm only here a couple of days. I brought some hexagons to mark sewing lines on; otherwise I'm doing "virtual quilting" by working my way through the pieced block drawing book for EQ7. Well, technically the book is for EQ6, but it still works for my EQ7. I know how to do the basics in EQ but want to get more into the innards of the program so I figured this would be a good opportunity to do that.

Reading-wise, I finished The Hunger Games a couple of nights ago and immediately (and I mean IMMEDIATELY) bought and downloaded the second and third books in the trilogy to my Kindle. So I'm now about a third of the way through Catching Fire, the second book. Once I'm done with the trilogy, I imagine I'll read Marie Bostwick's third Cobbled Court book, A Thread So Thin (or is that the fourth? I have them both on my Kindle at the moment and can't remember what order they come in).

message 4: by Judy (new)

I think A Thread So Thin is the 3rd, Sandy.

message 5: by Juliann (new)

Juliann I rarely comment here but it is finally summer for me - for 5 weeks at least! I have been bookmarking books like crazy at the library - lots of ebooks that I can put on my reader. I always have too many books going at once but I can't seem to do it any other way.
I just went on quilt retreat last week and got quite a bit done. I am off to Sisters the end of next week too.
thanks to all who keep posting here - I do love your book suggestions
Juliann

message 6: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) We're glad you were able to check in-do drop by again when you have a minute, it's always fun to know who is out there!

message 7: by Judy (new)

It is a beautiful day in this part of the world! I sat out on the deck, reading, for about 3+hours. I did finish The Ladies of Covington and will read the others in the series as soon as my Kindle gets fix or replaced.

I thought I may have missed the call from Amazon about the Kindle since the man I spoke with originally said it would be at least 48 hours. I called again the afternoon, and this time they wanted different information, but my Kindle doesn't have what they want. There is definitely something wrong. The first guy is suppose to call me on the 12th.

I probably won't be doing any sewing for a week or more. Kris should be ready to move into my studio at the beginning of next week. He's almost finished with Glenn's exercise/computer room. As for the studio, the same thing is happening with the cabinets in here as happened with the cabinets upstairs - most of the doors are turning a tanish color on the outside and pink on the inside. In addition, everything that was painted white with Sherwin Willianms paint is now cream colored. Kris is going to have to sand everything back (or maybe just paint over it) to get it white. As for the cabinets, they'll pull the doors, strip them, and re-lacquer them. Kris will also have to sand the facings back to the wood, prime and paint. Since this is not my fault, I'm not packing squat, but I've already emphasized that everything has to be put back exactly the way it is now. I spent way to many hours organizing for it to get messed up.

Hopefully, the studio will take a week or less, and then Kris can move upstairs to start the rooms that haven't been done - scrape popcorn off ceilings, paint, remove carpet, instal hardwood. There's other stuff, too, but I don't want you all to think I'm totally crazy! LOL!

I was swing squares onto rectangles yesterday and sewed every single one of the 60 pieces with the diagonal going the wrong way! Dang! Now I'm frogging, so I guess I'd better get back to it!

message 8: by Tanya (new)

Tanya #TeacherReader | 90 comments You are third person who I have heard their Kindle has died! How amazing to have a quilting studio...I can only imagine. I sew in my dining room--I'd rather be in the extra bedroom that used to be a playroom, but my family thinks I'd be too isolated, but then I could close the door on my mess...

message 9: by Judy (new)

Tanya wrote: "You are third person who I have heard their Kindle has died! How amazing to have a quilting studio...I can only imagine. I sew in my dining room--I'd rather be in the extra bedroom that used to b..."

The Kindle is a good machine, I think. I've had this one since 2008? 2009? I think I bought the K1 in Oct of 2008. The K2 came out in 2009(?), so I gave the K1 to Jaci and bought the K2 for myself. I've really never had any problems, and I do have the extended warranty. I also can only sing praises for Amazon/Kindle support. I love that you can type in your phone number and before the page reloads, your phone is ringing.

The studio was my gift to myself on my retirement. It really is lovely!

message 10: by Jaci (new)

Jaci Worth | 37 comments Well, it's the middle of July...already! I can't believe how fast it has gone by! We are getting ready here in Western SD for triple digit temperatures for the next few days...glad I was able to get my lawn mowed last night while the sun was behind a cloud!

Not really much else going on here except for work. I did find out though, that the lady I use to quilt to my quilts has her machine in storage. I guess they got an offer on their house, sold it, and are now living in a rental. I was really sad to hear that she couldn't quilt the one that I've had ready for 2 months. Oh well, I got the name of another lady that I have yet to call. Can you say procrastination?? Today, I'm heading up to help my stepdad for a bit this morning since my mom is out of town until tomorrow. Then, this afternoon, it's off to The Ranch Amusement Park for a work get together. Looking foward to that part, but not the heat!

Hope you all keep cool!

message 11: by Judy (new)

It hot here, too. I don't think we'll have 100+ - actually, we haven't broken 100 for the past 3 or 4 years. The humidity, though, is what' kicking my butt! We're just not use to anything much above about 20%, and usually it's much lower than that.

Kris is working on the studio. The sewing side is redone and his wife Shawna is down there now putting things back. I'll go down in a bit and help. Kris is getting ready, or is doing, the sitting room side. We had to adjust our agreement because he had to prime all the trim, doors, etc, before he could paint them. It's more work intensive than he originally thought. I told him I'd still pay him a bonus as long as he had my room finished before he left Monday at noon.

Of course because I can't, I want to quilt! I've been spending my mornings on the deck reading the paper, drinking coffee, and generally staring off into the distance. It's beautiful out there in the morning.

My friend Kelly and went to lunch today for the first time in probably a month. She's coming over tonight, and we're going to sit on the deck and drink wine and watch the birds. It's really nice out there in the evening, too!

The big news around here is the National High School Finals Rodeo starts tomorrow, I think. There will be about 15,000 kids here from 41 states including Hawaii and 5 or 6 countries. It's a big deal! I always like to go to the parade.

Guess I'd better go see if I can help downstairs!

message 12: by Judy (new)

Uh, that should have been 1,500 kids are here to participate in the rodeo. Dang extra zeroes - they'll get you every time! :-)

message 13: by Jaci (new)

Jaci Worth | 37 comments Judy wrote: "Uh, that should have been 1,500 kids are here to participate in the rodeo. Dang extra zeroes - they'll get you every time! :-)"

Ha ha! I thought that sounded high!

message 14: by Kit (new)

Kit Hot and muggy here!! :( I'm wilted-had Grand Jury duty last week and doctors appointments. I ventured out this weekend with my oldest and friend to see the final Harry Potter. Matinee was only $4.25. Think the effects were great.

I'm looking forward to late autumn-just when everything start to cool down (comfort zone) and the leaves change. Hopefully, will be in a creative mood by then. Have a ton a projects to start and finish--but the heat is taking everything out of me now.

message 15: by Judy (new)

Still hot, for us, here. It got up to 98F/37C today. Luckily I spent most of the day in the basement putting things away. Kris didn't quite finish everything before he left, but it's finished enough that we could unpack boxes and get things put in the correct places. We did have a bit of a snafu with the books. Shawna had the C's before the A's, and the G's before the B's. We got it straightened out, though. The doors still need to be put on the sitting room side of the room, and there's some touch-up painting that needs to be done. He'll be back Wednesday morning and everything that needs to be finished in the basement will be done by Friday. Next week he'll move upstairs.

While putting things back, I found all kinds of new quilty treasures to give to Jaci. She'll be so excited - or not, but then she can give them to whomever! LOL!

message 16: by Jaci (new)

Jaci Worth | 37 comments Judy wrote:

While putting things back, I found all kinds of new quilty treasures to give to Jaci. She'll be so excited - or not, but then she can give them to whomever! LOL!

Yahoo! I can't wait to see what it is!!!

message 17: by Tanesha (new)

Tanesha | 8 comments Hi all! Sounds like a lot of us are sweating it out these days. Here in MD (near Washington DC) it's just what we call plain old sticky and hot, LOL.

With my 2 little ones I can only sew in the evenings, but last night I got almost 3 hours in! I love those times when it seems all the stars are in alignment and the kiddos go to sleep almost right away, no call-outs for water or "the covers shifted so can you move them back", and you can just sit down and do what you want to do for awhile = Mommy Heaven. Usually this includes a glass of wine in hand, but since I was working on embroidery and I wanted my stitches to be straight, I abstained lol.

Hoping to get a little time in tonight to finish my DDs quilt.

Stay cool everyone!

Tanesha
http://craftygardenmom.blogspot.com

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Hey, Tanesha--I'm finally caught up on your podcasts, and several others! Lots of road time = lots of podcast listening. Hope to post an episode of my own maybe Sunday or Monday when I'm awake again.

I've been away on business and, in fact, am posting this message from a hotel room halfway home. I'm planning on sleeping the sleep of the dead tonight and whenever I happen to wake up in the morning, I'll hit the road again. Should be home before dinner tomorrow. Another good night's sleep and I'm hoping to get some sewing in on Sunday or--at very least--some talking about sewing in posting a podcast. I got to visit a couple of fabric shops on this trip, though, so there was some pleasure mixed in with business!

Meanwhile, let me just put in a plug for the GR app on Droid--also on iPhone. One of the quilt shops had the new Lintott book on jelly rolls (Jelly Roll Samplers or something like that) but I had already exceeded my budget, so I quickly pulled out my Droid, opened the GR app, and used the scanner feature to scan the book onto my to-be-read list. Now I don't have to remember weeks later, "What was that book again?" Very, VERY cool! Love it love it love it...

message 19: by Kathryn (last edited Jul 23, 2011 10:10AM) (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) Hello everyone! I've been a bit under the weather with what turned out to be TWO ear infections and a sinus infection...what's up with that? I've never had an ear infection in my life. When I asked if I was having any trouble hearing my husband confidantly said Yes, she never hears a word I say. That may be true in some instances, but it has nothing to do with how well my ears work. LOL

It's a beautiful day today. I've had enough energy to wash off the patio. We've had a huge infestation of earwigs to the point of calling the pest guy to come and spray. Well, consequently, dead bugs everywhere. I am not a huge fan of spraying mother nature's domain, but I must say finding earwigs inside the house and out made us a bit more determined to get them under control.

We had new quartz counter tops put in the kitchen this past week. Oh my gosh what a difference that makes. It's so cozy. We had a beige 10" tiles on the counter tops before and there were just some areas that the grout kept cracking on the corners and there was a lot of give to the corners. So, after a couple of estimates, talking to a couple of contractor friends, we took the plunge. One of the workers hit his head with the grinder of all things and had to be rushed to emergency for 16 stiches. YIKES and scary at the same time. Then a gust of wind came up through the patio area, our patio table umbrella was up and you guessed it, over went the table and inverted the umbrella. More $$$ to have the umbrella replaced. It won't be here until the 27th, so we aren't eatting outside for awhile. Table did not suffer any damage.

I must have gotten sick just to make myself relax and not sweat the expensive stuff. Today we are picking out a new color to paint the bar stools because of course they no longer match the kitchen. Gee I wonder what's next on the list to do. My husband keeps telling me we are DONE spending money...okay, I say meekly, grateful for a sewing room full of projects, patterns and fabric...

message 20: by Kit (last edited Jul 23, 2011 12:44PM) (new)

Kit Got an email from Keepsakequilting.com this week. They have a Friendship Star Kit that worth checking out. Proceed from the sale will go to Breast Cancer Research. I like the pattern and the fabrics, Words of encouragements and ribbons for a cause. Appropriately, yesterday was my annual mammies smashing day!:( Hope everyone has had their annual screening. If not make an appointment, please :D.

Last week went to the doc for annual blood work. Good news blood pressure was down :D-but Wednesday, the nurse called and said my triglycerides and HDL were elevated. She told me to start exercising. In this heat!!! Seriously. Luckily, I was reading The Wildwater Walking Club at the time. lol-in the book, Nora takes a buyout and is now homebound. She starts walking to keep her sanity. First day 200 steps, second day in bed, third day thousands of steps. This is so me!!!! :) But-I'm going to force myself up and out next week. Hopefully, I can find my pedometer. (I've lost three in the past year-they seem to hop off somewhere along the trail.) Maybe I'll find a mall walking group-get out of the heat! Hmmmm-that's an excuse for the second day (too hot to walk) :D.

message 21: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (kathrynh) I made the Friendship Star quilt for my sister's 50th birthday. She's not had breast cancer, so I swapped out the one fabric that has the ribbons on it for a different pink. Don't let the "easy friendship star" fool you. It took me a couple of weeks to make as one color blends into the next and several of the pinks are darn close to being the same color. It was well worth it and it's a lovely quilt. My sister and I share the love of pink. I wanted to keep it!

I must check out The Wildwater Walking Clubit sounds like a good one. I definitely need more exercise!

message 22: by Judy (new)

Kit, is the book you're reading fiction? It sounds good whatever it is!

Kathryn, good luck with the kitchen. I've found remodeling to be addictive. I am now in the 5th year of remodeling! Kris didn't quite finish the basement, but it's because his son was playing in the district all star little league tournament in Cheyenne. Kris when down at the beginning of the week to see a game, and then went down for the championship game on Friday. They did win district, so I think regionals is next. I know the game Thursday is here in Gillette; I'm not sure about other games.

I can access my machine, iron, and everything else in the sewing side of the room, now, though; and that is a relief. I've started working on the quilt I started in camp. It's a slow process, but our weather in the mornings has been wonderful and I've spent a lot of time sitting on the deck and reading. I figure I have all winter to stay inside.

Yesterday, much to my consternation, I spent on the phone. As you know, my Kindle quit connecting wirelessly on 6/30. Since then I've made 3 phone calls. Yesterday was the 4th. After going through everything yet again, I told the man to whom I was speaking that I thought they should just replace the Kindle since I had the extended warranty. They are going to do that, but I can't buy a new extended warranty, and the "new" one is actually a factory refurbished. Can't say I'm really happy about it, but at least it should connect. I told my husband that if I decided to get a new K3, I'd give him the old new one. He wasn't real excited about that since he claims he doesn't want/need a Kindle.

The night before last, I downloaded the new Apple OS - Lion. First of all it's really different; 2nd, there are some real problems with it. I've worked out most of them, but there are still some things that aren't working as they should. This may be an example of when I should have curbed my desire to be a techno-hog and waited for everything to be fixed.

Just now I called Yankee Candle as my order has never shown up. I had called then on 7/5 and was told they would resend. When I spoke to the lady just now, she said none of the candles I'd ordered are available, and the first lady didn't hit whatever button to process the new order. They're refunding my money. This is probably a good thing because the ceiling above where I burn the candle got stained by the smoke or something. Kris had to repaint it. I know that somewhere I have a little crockpot thing that melts "tarts". I just need to find it and then order the tarts.

I think I'll sew for a bit. I'm not nearly as frustrated as I was yesterday, so it should be more enjoyable.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!

message 23: by Kit (new)

Kit Judy wrote: "Kit, is the book you're reading fiction? It sounds good whatever it is!

Kathryn, good luck with the kitchen. I've found remodeling to be addictive. I am now in the 5th year of remodeling! Kris did..."

Yes, its fiction-by Claire Cook.

message 24: by Kit (new)

Kit Kathryn wrote: "I made the Friendship Star quilt for my sister's 50th birthday. She's not had breast cancer, so I swapped out the one fabric that has the ribbons on it for a different pink. Don't let the "easy f..."

I love pink, too. The pattern looks easy-but I can see how it would take some time-I'm managed to sew a complete top, only to realize one the the patterns was completely out of line or backwards! But the Amish always sew a error in theirs, because nothing can be perfect. :D

message 25: by Judy (new)

Thanks, Kit! I'd hate to read something where I actually had to put into practice whatever the exercise! LOL!

message 26: by Kit (new)

Kit Judy wrote: "Thanks, Kit! I'd hate to read something where I actually had to put into practice whatever the exercise! LOL!"

I know what you mean-but, its a cute book to read. I had several lol moments. :D

message 27: by Sandy (last edited Jul 26, 2011 01:57PM) (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) I may actually get some sewing done today! I've been out of town for two weeks--home for a couple of days now and slowly coming back to life. The problem is, the quilting project I really should be working on, as it's supposed to go with DD to her college dorm room in a few weeks, is one that will require a lot of attention to detail, something I'm feeling in short supply of at the moment. Maybe I'll just put together the backing for a UFO that I plan to send off to a long-armer just to get it done--it's an older UFO that just needs to get off my shelf! While I've been "in recovery," so to speak, I finished the third book in Claire Donohue's Someday Quilts series (The Double Cross (Someday Quilts Mystery, #3)) and made good headway in the third of Marie Bostwick's Cobble Court series (A Thread So Thin). Enjoying the reading, but really MUST get back to my sewing machine!

Judy, so sorry about your continued Kindle problems! It would drive me nuts if I couldn't connect wirelessly. Good luck!

message 28: by Kit (new)

Kit Sandy wrote: "I may actually get some sewing done today! I've been out of town for two weeks--home for a couple of days now and slowly coming back to life. The problem is, the quilting project I really should be..."

Do you like Donohue's as much as Bostwick's? I haven't read this series.

message 29: by Judy (new)

Yea! The replacement Kindle came in today! Initially I had the same problem as I did with the old - couldn't connect. I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to call Amazon yet again. When I got downstairs and turned it on, everything was connecting and working fine. Now I just have to sort the books and send back the old one.

Sandy, I don't think I've read or heard about the Someday Quilts. I'll have to check them out and see if they're available on Kindle.

Remodeling is coming right along. Kris is almost finished with the touch-up things in the basement; then he can move upstairs. I'm ready for this project to be over, but I'll bet we have at least 1.5 months left.

Now I'm going to sew. I don't have anything to fresh about!

message 30: by Tanesha (new)

Tanesha | 8 comments Kit, I prefer Bostwick's books over Donohue's mainly because the storylines are more in depth. But I will still read both when a new one comes out, lol.

message 31: by Sandy (new)

Sandy H (sandyquiltz) Kit wrote: "Do you like Donohue's as much as Bostwick's? I haven't read this series."

I don't like them as much as Bostwick, but they're a light summer read. Here's my review of:
--The first book, Lover's Knot (short review but to the point)
--The second book, A Drunkard's Path
-- The third book, The Double Cross.

Judy wrote: "Sandy, I don't think I've read or heard about the Someday Quilts. I'll have to check them out and see if they're available on Kindle."

Yes, they're on Kindle--that's how I do pretty much all my reading these days!

Tanesha's reviews are probably more thorough than mine, I think. But I agree with Tanesha on both points--Donohue's are much lighter than Bostwick's, but I keep reading both!

message 32: by Kit (new)

Kit Sandy wrote: "Kit wrote: "Do you like Donohue's as much as Bostwick's? I haven't read this series."

I don't like them as much as Bostwick, but they're a light summer read. Here's my review of:
--The first book,..."

Thanks! :D Think I read the series this fall.