Classics Club discussion

Animal Farm > Themes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (kingarthur) | 6 comments Mod
I know we did this a long time ago, but I never posted any thoughts about the book that moved me in so many ways. Perhaps that's why I never did, I have a *tiny inclination* to want to get things just right. Well, at the risk of not getting them "just right" this time I wanted to share a couple of thoughts.

As the book progressed I noticed a strong theme of those animals in charge whitewashing history, or changing the facts. Slowly and without records the animals lost recollection of the past until the next generation knew nothing of the rebellion or how things once were. They also had lost touch of an important historical figure, Snowball. Conclusion: Those who win the wars right the history books.

I remember talking in an anthropology class about the Cultural Revolution in China. It was situation where one group despised the other group which they felt was at the root of all their suffering. The hatred went so deep that they systematically killed those of the old way & destroyed reminders of their reign.

When records don't exist, it's left up to the leading storytellers or propagandists (Squealer in this book) to fill in the blanks (the eggs are missing, it was Snowball), rewrite (as he did with each of the original laws they created when they kicked Jones off the farm) or nudge "the truth" or nudge the official further and further from reality (from "Snowball didn't really lead the others into battle" to, "he wasn't really shot," to "he was conspiring with Jones the whole time").

It was fascinating to see this change. I almost believed some of the lies myself, reading the book over a couple weeks. My advantage over those on Animal Farm (other than not being a pig)? I had a record of how it was.

I feel this way I notice when I don't record events as they happen. But when I am able to go back and review my journal about a particular event I get to see (emotionally painted as it may be) what I experienced. Perhaps this is why Orwell, in 1984, had "The Party" ban such nonsense...so they wouldn't be able to firmly grasp that there was fewer chocolate rations than before, even though the announcements declared production was up and as a gift they were increasing them.

The take home? Pay attention, put pen to paper & ponder occasionally on the past.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments Have you read A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America by Ronald Takaki? I haven't finished it, I started reading it for a class, but your comment reminded me of it.

message 3: by Ryan (new)

Brittany wrote: "Have you read A Different Mirror: A History of Multicultural America by Ronald Takaki? I haven't finished it, I started reading it for a class, but your comment reminded me of it."

I haven't even heard of it Britt. I'll have to check it out though. Is it good so far?

message 4: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments It is good, it is a history of the US writen from the perspective of minorities. You are welcom to borrow it, if you still read paper books ;)

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Paper books is where it's at! Besides, my Kindle broke a bit ago and my comp just died too. :) I've love to check it out from Library Brittany. :)

message 6: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments Just let me know when. I'm living in Sandy now are you still in Provo?

message 7: by Ryan (new)

Dang Gina! I'm in Draper! Wanna go hiking on Sat @ 3? :)

message 8: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Nerdin | 8 comments Sure sounds like fun.