The Atheist Book Club discussion

Atheism + Skepticism > Christian Privilege: Not Being Allowed to Dominate Others Doesn’t Mean You’re Being Oppressed.

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:59PM) (new)

Our refusal to be dominated is not persecution of Christians. Our demand that the government be neutral and secular on matters of religious belief is not the persecution of Christians. If a man is beating us with a club, slapping that club out of his hand is not “running roughshod over his beliefs.”

More here: http://askanatheist.tv/2011/06/27/chr...

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Exactly!

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) Some of the comments just make my head explode. I mean, some are reasonable, but I just don't get the people who don't understand that this is a HUMAN RIGHTS issue?? "Boo hoo, what about business owners with religious beliefs who aren't allowed to discriminate against gay couples . . ." Seriously? What about those relics from the 50s that don't want to serve people of other races? You don't think they THEY should get a pass based on their religious beliefs, do you? We've come so far in this country, and yet . . . We're going to look back on this "debate" in 50 years and wonder what the hell was wrong with so many people.

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (deltakilo) | 22 comments One time my grandfather tried to convince me that Catholics were the most oppressed group in human history! It is one of the few times in my life when I was quite literally speechless.

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea (leadfw) Daniel wrote: "One time my grandfather tried to convince me that Catholics were the most oppressed group in human history! It is one of the few times in my life when I was quite literally speechless."

Wow. He's going back pretty damn far to make that claim, isn't he?

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (deltakilo) | 22 comments Right, all the way back to the Inquisition.