Amazon Kindle discussion

Book Related Banter > my problem with kobo is done!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments A kobo was an ereader put out last year before borders went belly up. their issue with epub books is finally fixed. I got my reader authorized automatically. now I have two ereaders with 150 books on both, 40 on kindle.

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Can you still buy books for the Kobo?

message 3: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I know that on Smashwords that format is still available. I keep receiving ads from Borders.com so they must still be selling books. I know the Borders near me is still open and I have a gift certificate I need to use up before they close too.

message 4: by Dee (last edited Jul 01, 2011 01:56PM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 365 comments not all the borders went up - they closed a bunch and are restructing...the one by me is still open, but 2 others in MD closed

and if it accepts epub, then there are lots of smaller ebook only publishing houses where you can get books from

message 5: by Cindy (last edited Jul 01, 2011 02:01PM) (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Plus there's the whole Kobo bookstore at http://kobobooks.com/ that's not connected to Borders. As well as being able to read library books since it supports Adobe DRM. Kobo came out with a new model last month, so it seems like they are sticking around.

message 6: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments Betsy wrote: "Can you still buy books for the Kobo?"

borders.com is paired with kobobooks.com to sell ebooks.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (newtomato) Ah right! I wondered how Borders sold their books. I don't think Borders owns any piece of Kobo, though.

Still, it sounds like even if Borders goes completely belly-up, Kobo will be around on its own.

message 8: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) I always got the impression that borders made the kobo available but that it was not like Barnes and Noble's Nook or Amazon's Kindle. I seem to remember someone saying that had gotten another kind of e-reader at Borders as well.

message 9: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments borders has 5 ereaders but none are like the kindle.