Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (last edited Jul 01, 2011 05:32AM) (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) What is your take on Pierce? Do you like her? Is she a fair representation of Persephone of Greek mythology, a young woman able to attract the interest of Hades - one of the most powerful gods?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I really didn't get the whole thing where she attracted "Hades". Just because she didn't think of herself? I am hoping there is more to this part of the story. Like there is something about her... maybe she is a decendent of Persphone or something.

message 3: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

I don't understand why Pierce blames herself so much for Hannah's death? It was very sad. Anytime someone takes their own life is sad. Though I thought the details around this situation was a little vauge. Did the teacher and her have relations (sex), what exactly was he trying to do to Pierce in that class room?

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "Though I thought the details around this situation was a little vauge. Did the teacher and her have relations (sex), what exactly was he trying to do to Pierce in that class room? "

I got the impression that Hannah had a sexual affair with Mr. Mueller and that she committed suicide when he broke it off.

Pierce blamed herself because she promised Hannah that she would protect Hannah from evil. She made the promise believing the necklace she received from John would protect here AND her friends.

Unfortunately, Pierce didn't really understand how the necklace worked so she didn't recognize the evil that crept into Hannah's life and ultimately led to her death. Still, Pierce feels guilty about her inability to keep her promise to Hannah.

Mr. Mueller was about to assault Pierce in the classroom - he was reaching out to cover her mouth so that she couldn't scream.

message 5: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Grace wrote: "Angie wrote: "Though I thought the details around this situation was a little vauge. Did the teacher and her have relations (sex), what exactly was he trying to do to Pierce in that class room? "

..."

What doesn't make sense to me is he was going to basically rape Pierce but didn't rape other girls? I thought that people who tend to do this either rape OR have relations with willing students not both. So because I thought that I think that's why I was a little confused.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Angie wrote: "What doesn't make sense to me is he was going to basically rape Pierce but didn't rape other girls?"

He was reaching out to cover her mouth so she wouldn't scream but that doesn't mean his intention was to rape her. Assault can take many forms. We don't really know what he was going to do - maybe hold her and try to kiss her. The main thing is that his actions were inappropriate. Even the action of putting his hand over her mouth could be offensive and constitutes assault.

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) Pierce was ANNOYING. Seriously. I could not understand her thinking at all. I mean, sure, she had "come back from the dead" and everything but I could not relate to her, and that made the book worse for me.

Amber (jubilantdusk) | 14 comments I agree with Megatron. A large part of what I disliked about the book was due to Pierce herself. She never seemed to learn from her actions or grow as a character. Hopefully she will do so in the sequels, but her personality in this one has turned me off of wanting to read the rest.

message 9: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I had trouble relating to Pierce at first, but I realized that she had a lot of trauma happen to her before this part of her story (her parents divorce, her friend's suicide, dying and coming back, etc) so I tried to take that into account and try to understand why she behaved like she did. I'm an avid Cabot reader, so I have no doubts that Pierce will grow more in the last two books.